• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best apps for the Via Francigena

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. I'm just about to start the second leg of my VF (from Martigny to Lucca) and this is a useful overview. Last year, I walked from Canterbury to Martigny and the route was not clearly marked in several places and my offline maps often suggested a different route than the official route. My route covered 561 miles in about 40 days.
I did encounter two places in the French Jura Range where the hosts warned me to beware the wild pigs that might be in the area of the trail. Fortunately, I never actually encountered any of them. I did see a lot of deer up in the higher reaches of the Jura in Switzerland.

I use the All Trails app, which lets me easily download VF stages that are taken from the official VF site (which is also useful as you noted) and All Trails works well offline.
The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome has a wealth of information and were very helpful in my planning for the English and French stages, particularly as they have a list of accommodations that might not be on Booking.com, as well as certain individual homes that may host pilgrims in some of the more remote parts of the French section.
Your video is a great addition to my library of information I can peruse for the next five weeks.

Thanks. I'm just about to start the second leg of my VF (from Martigny to Lucca) and this is a useful overview. Last year, I walked from Canterbury to Martigny and the route was not clearly marked in several places and my offline maps often suggested a different route than the official route. My route covered 561 miles in about 40 days.
I did encounter two places in the French Jura Range where the hosts warned me to beware the wild pigs that might be in the area of the trail. Fortunately, I never actually encountered any of them. I did see a lot of deer up in the higher reaches of the Jura in Switzerland.

I use the All Trails app, which lets me easily download VF stages that are taken from the official VF site (which is also useful as you noted) and All Trails works well offline.
The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome has a wealth of information and were very helpful in my planning for the English and French stages, particularly as they have a list of accommodations that might not be on Booking.com, as well as certain individual homes that may host pilgrims in some of the more remote parts of the French section.
Your video is a great addition to my library of information I can peruse for the next five weeks.
All Trails is great too. I did use it to record the walks then play back in the 3d flyover animation, that was a fun to recap the day.

I saw some wild pigs in the distance, as we approached Formello, but I most enjoyed them on the plate (Chingale ragu is one of the pleasures of life).

Good luck on your walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for posting! I'm in the initial planning stages of the Via. Aiming towards July/august of next year. Looking to get a visa for Spain to allow for extended time in Europe/Schengen zone. I'll use a lot of time in Spain to volunteer as an hospitalera and then also do some Caminos as practice walks...then on to the Via. At least that's as far as my thoughts have gotten at this point!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back