• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

App - km vs miles

kmrice

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis 2016, Via Francigena 2018, '19, '22, '23
Anyone know if there is a way to make the Official App give distances in kilometers rather than miles? I prefer kilometers but can’t figure out how to do this.

Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome. The app is titled Via Francigena and is the “official app of the European Association of the Via Francigena.” I’ve used it for several years and it is great. However, it shows distances in miles for both the England, France and Italy routes, and when being used in Italy, England or the U.S. Since it is published by a European organization and covers a pilgrimage that is overwhelmingly in France, Switzerland and Italy (about 30 km are in England out of a route of over 2,000 km) I would think it would give distances in kilometers but all I can get is miles.

Yes, the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome. The app is titled Via Francigena and is the “official app of the European Association of the Via Francigena.” I’ve used it for several years and it is great. However, it shows distances in miles for both the England, France and Italy routes, and when being used in Italy, England or the U.S. Since it is published by a European organization and covers a pilgrimage that is overwhelmingly in France, Switzerland and Italy (about 30 km are in England out of a route of over 2,000 km) I would think it would give distances in kilometers but all I can get is miles.
multiply by 8 and divide by 5. Your calculator can do this. A km is 5/8 of a mile !

Samarkand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, that’s weird. I’ll delete the app and reload. 2 questions: did you download in the US, and are you using an iPhone?

I download the app to , it's all the way in km.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Weird. I deleted the app and reloaded it. Still all miles. See screenshot:

Attachments

• IMG_0708.png
    IMG_0708.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
it seems to take it from the system settings on your phone. On my Iphone I find those under general and then language and region. There i can choose for metric or UK or US.
Maybe that is similar on yours?

Bingo! I switched to metric on my iPhone and now the app gives metric distances. Thanks to everyone for helping! I’ve tried to figure this out each year as I walk another piece of the VF. Next year we plan to finish the Italian section by walking from the Great Saint Bernard Pass to Viverone.

Thanks again to all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
multiply by 8 and divide by 5. Your calculator can do this. A km is 5/8 of a mile !

Samarkand.
Slightly more accurate (I think!) is multiply by 10 and divide by 6. Works for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, but I just switched to metric in my iPhone settings and solved the problem. In the past, I mentally multiplied by 1.6 but my aging brain prefers to be focused on other tasks!

All you guys who are explaining how to convert between metric and Imperial units are doing it the hard way. If you are fluent in both systems, you don't need to translate. The simple change in setting is the better solution.

The VF app is only in miles in the UK - because the UK is in miles. After that, it is in KM.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back