• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best Blister Prevention Method - Vote!

Best Blister Prevention Methods

• Zinc oxide tape

• Talcum powder

• Vaseline

• Compeed

• Liner socks

• Changing socks halfway through the day

• Duct tape

• Cotton pads in shoes

• Special insoles

• Other (tell us below!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
What a great idea!
I knew a couple who walked to a nearby town with their backpacks and spent the night at an Inn there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

They’re available at every chemist (pharmacy) here in the UK, in all widths.
They also come with every first aid kit, for whatever purpose.

I use Omnifix for hot spots and carry pre-cut strips in my mobile phone case.

@Derrybiketours
I've never heard of Gewohl cream, but have now looked it up. It seems there is a variety. Would you say it's the Salve for Cracked Skin? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gehwol+f...fbvlvx8_e&tag=casaivar02-20&tag=casaivar02-20

Thanks.

I think he meant this one:

This is also good, if you can get it:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My ‘other’ in the poll is a 5-6kg backpack, a slow pace and ideally less than 25k per day! I am the proverbial tortoise on each of my Caminos I have got a few minor blisters but nothing compared to some people (of all ages and abilities). This year was from Léon to Santiago in 17 days, much of it in 35°C, and thankfully got no blisters.

@trecile Great! They look to be about the same product. Should I get 4" or 2" wide? What about moleskin? I have upped my "training," as it were, and am noticing hot spots, though have not gotten any blisters as yet. (Though I tried a product for hotspots that went on the shoe itself which started to give me a blister, which I nipped in the bud, and got my money back.)

As for scissors, are there tiny ones I can take in my pack, like for sewing/nails, or do I purchase when I am in Spain? I also want a knife for food, so maybe a very small Swiss army-type of thing (I really only need a knife and scissor, nor corksrew, etc).

If this is getting too granular about products I can write to you directly. Thanks!

@trecile Great! They look to be about the same product. Should I get 4" or 2" wide? What about moleskin?
Yes, Omnifix and Hypafix are almost identical. I think that they work better than moleskin because of the stretch, and are more versatile.
I first discovered these tapes when a Spanish pharmacist recommended them in place of moleskin.
As for scissors, are there tiny ones I can take in my pack,
I use these little folding scissors.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Because I was getting low in my supply of Hypafix, I recently bought another roll of almost identical tape. It is called Cover-roll Stretch, made by the same company in Germany. Now, I don't know if my Hypafix was just getting a little bit old and dry, but the Cover-roll Stretch does seems to stretch just a teensy bit more.

However, regardless of the subtle difference, I wouldn't be without a length of this kind of tape. I use it directly on a skin-intact hotspot, and as a preventative wrap around my problematic raised toe joints.

It's also very useful to cover over a Compeed blister dressing. It prevents the Compeed edges from rolling within the sock and getting all sticky and goopy. (Now I know many folk don't like or use Compeed, but I'm just mentioning it for those who do.)

PS: I have those folding scissors too, they're perfect.

Liner socks is the winner. You can go to an outdoor sporting goods store and purchase one for about $10. Or you can go to the Dollar store and buy women's stockings for about 3 for a $1. It's the same thing!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20160913_075546683.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Injinji socks, with Smartwool or other good hiking socks over them.

For scissors, BTW, I've always packed a pair of baby fingernail cutting scissors in my "emergency" kit. They are small, lightweight, sharp, and there is no danger of accidentally cutting something you don't intend to, or of their poking a hole in your bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum