• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister Prevention That Works For All

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
The answer is. . . There isn't one . . All the tips you see on this site are great, but it just means that one approach worked for whoever created the post.
Trial and error is the only way to discover what works for you
(preferably BEFORE you start your Camino!🤣)
Love to all, and Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do agree, but only to some point.
While i know people that get worse blister in double layer socks, the majority don't. (or less)
While i know people that walk perfectly fine in their boots in mid summer, worst feet i seen in warm season was from people wearing boots.
And then there is a whole religion about if and what and when to use cream on your feet...

So my advice would be to start trying out what seems to work for most, and then go from there.

I do agree, but only to some point.
While i know people that get worse blister in double layer socks, the majority don't. (or less)
While i know people that walk perfectly fine in their boots in mid summer, worst feet i seen in warm season was from people wearing boots.
And then there is a whole religion about if and what and when to use cream on your feet...

So my advice would be to start trying out what seems to work for most, and then go from there.
Pretty much a more detailed version of what I posted . . 😉

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Over a dozen Caminos to the good. I smother toes and sensitive bits with Vaseline ( Vick works too ).
I also cover socks with Vaseline.
boots need to be 1/2 - 1 size bigger than normal foot wars
I use gel toe caps, too,from Amazon.

Compeed plasters have been praised by my camigo companions,in the past.

Buen Camino

The answer is. . . There isn't one . . All the tips you see on this site are great, but it just means that one approach worked for whoever created the post.
I found prevention right from the start. I put omnifix on all of my toes every morning including a strip around my heels and took my shoes and socks off at lunchtimes. Not for everyone but it worked for me. But still had sore toes and lost a toenail 2 weeks after finishing but no blisters lol.

As previous posts indicate, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. However, there are common themes, and testing out socks and shoes beforehand is essential.
I recently completed the CF wearing two pairs of Bridgedale liner socks, Gewohl foot cream and taping any potential hotspots with zinc oxide tape. I wore Altra Olympus 5 trail running shoes which were fabulous. Also, I removed my shoes and socks whenever I stopped for a break. No blisters!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a very simple and effective way of avoiding blisters on Camino - avoid Camino.

Those determined to walk Camino despite my excellent advice are recommended to follow all the other advices available on this forum. Except applying Vaseline to the exterior of your socks...
😆

I bought biggest toe box shoe (lone peak altra), then biggest size for me as long as my heel does not ride up. Wore injinji toe socks. Did not put anything on my feet. Did not have one blister or sore spot. I know there is many ways, for me, will do this again

Whether it be 2 pairs of socks, Vaseline or antiperspirant, the key is to reduce friction between your foot and your footwear.
Wet feet will almost always increase the coefficient of friction so try to keep your feet dry. If (like me) you have sweaty feet keep fresh socks handy at the top of your pack.
And if you do get hotspots, STOP. Deal with the hotspot right away.
Happy feet make for a happy Camino.

My 2 cents
Gord

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As previous posts indicate, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. However, there are common themes, and testing out socks and shoes beforehand is essential.
I recently completed the CF wearing two pairs of Bridgedale liner socks, Gewohl foot cream and taping any potential hotspots with zinc oxide tape. I wore Altra Olympus 5 trail running shoes which were fabulous. Also, I removed my shoes and socks whenever I stopped for a break. No blisters!
Whincup?

I am used to preparing my feet with a menthol-based ointment (vicks va...rub) once a day in the month before departure. In my-8ys experience in several Caminos it was an effective (and cheap) pretreatment.

Some people swear by vaseline on the feet. vaseline is petroleum jelly which is NOT water soluble. I can't imagine gunking up my beautiful wool socks with petroleum jelly. To each their own. That's just me, no judgement here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I read most of the tips, applied quite a lot of them, but my feet are especially blister-prone, so I had my first blister on day one, four on day two, and they came and went throughout my camino, so I had some for most of the way. Prevention is a great thing, but what I find equally important, is learning how to deal with them - taping, when neccessary, puncturing and disinfecting. While I envy the blister-free walkers, I learned how to deal with mine, and for everybody, I suggest to learn how to deal with one, if it ever comes, as well :)
Michal

All the tips you see on this site are great, but it just means that one approach worked for whoever created the post.
You are, of course, correct. Albeit this must be one of the most unhelpful posts that I have seen on the subject in many years. The fact that it has generated so many more helpful posts is a credit to others, and not to what initially looked like a trolling post.

My own recommendation is that members have a look at either Rebecca Rushton's or Jon Vonhof's excellent websites on blister prevention, at https://www.blister-prevention.com/ and https://www.fixingyourfeet.com/ respectively. They are somewhat better than just proceeding using trial and error.

Some people swear by vaseline on the feet. vaseline is petroleum jelly which is NOT water soluble. I can't imagine gunking up my beautiful wool socks with petroleum jelly. To each their own. That's just me, no judgement here.
It doesn't gunk up your socks.
It's absorbed into the skin.
By the end of the day it is gone.... ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You coat the outside of your socks with Vaseline? What purpose does that serve?
I assume, since I know many people do this (but not me), that the person who posted meant coating your feet with Vaseline.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Vonhof's book is great like others have stated. I find that omnifix tape in the morning on the tips of my toes, and other areas where I get calluses plus hiker's wool around the toes next to my big toes, and toe socks work for me--yes it is tricky to get the hikers wool in toe socks but with my bunions, when I do this no blisters so worth the effort. I also use hiker's goo on my feet where there is no tape before I put on the socks. I just finished Leon to Finisterre and was blister free once I figured out the right combo. As everyone says, treat the hot spots right away!

One preventative measure that I rarely see in these threads is take a hard look at the distance you walk each day. Dry feet, yes. Vaseline, yes. Large shoes, yes. Two layers of socks, yes. Taping your feet, yes. All of these show up in each of these threads. All work for some, and don't seem to work for others, as was pointed out in the OP.

Another to add to the mix is to walk a bit less each day. In my 2016 Camino, my son was getting terrible blisters. We took a rest day in Burgos and that seemed to have fixed things. But as we crossed the meseta we started to walk longer distances and they started to come back again. By the time we reached Astorga after several days of 25-30km distances (which is not excessive by many people's standards) they were really terrible again. We paused in Astorga and had them treated. After Astorga we were sure to walk less than 25km each day. And they didn't come back.

So if the other suggestions don't work, try just not walking as far each day.

Of course, it is handy to have some cushion built, not just into your shoes and socks, but into your schedule to allow you to make this adjustment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I followed the very frequent advice of wearing shoes that are at least 1/2 size larger than my usual shoes size I would have probably had major blisters from the friction--and possible twisted an ankle or two as well. I may be the only one here, but for various reasons, by feet start the days walk at my regular size and they shrink as the day's walk proceeds. Sometimes I actually have to add an extra sock to prevent my left big toe from sliding into the front of my shoe by the afternoon. Not looking for advice--simply an example of how some of us are REALLY different!

Have been wearing nylons under my socks, with both or them turned inside out for 5 Caminos, as well as when I have long days of working as a tour guide or with new boots. Have never had a blister. They are cheap, and light. Compared to the price of silk liners, a huge bargain. It doesn't matter if my feet get wet either, though my boots have Goretex.
That said, I have had blisters on my feet and toes wearing other shoes or socks at work, etc. over the years, but not anymore, since I started wearing nylons. My podiatrist agrees with this whole heartedly, even with turning them inside out so the seams don't rub on my toes.

I tried pantyliners/ menstruation pads for the achilles heel and they worked wonders! They don’t move around like sports tape, and they have enough padding to provide soft protection for blisters. I cut one pad in half per day - one for each heel. Advice from a Brazilian guy, I met in SJ PdP and walked with to Logroño.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always wear two pairs: these liner-toe socks inside and lightweight wool socks (Farm to Toe, made in the USA) . It always worked for me and never had a single blister. I normally wear women's shoe size 6 1/2 but purchased men's hiking shoes size 7 (women's size 9?) (that was the smallest I could find) extra wide. My feet are always aired well and very comfortable inside.

1699716592214.png

Agree! I particularly agree with the "before you start your Camino". I tell folks that 75% (or more) of training for the Camino is discovering out your body's weak points (hips/knees/toes, etc.) and developing strategies for coping with them while on the Camino. It's best to start WAY in advance because some of the strategies take longer to develop than others.

Lanacane works for me( but not necessarily you!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One preventative measure that I rarely see in these threads is take a hard look at the distance you walk each day. Dry feet, yes. Vaseline, yes. Large shoes, yes. Two layers of socks, yes. Taping your feet, yes. All of these show up in each of these threads. All work for some, and don't seem to work for others, as was pointed out in the OP.

Another to add to the mix is to walk a bit less each day. In my 2016 Camino, my son was getting terrible blisters. We took a rest day in Burgos and that seemed to have fixed things. But as we crossed the meseta we started to walk longer distances and they started to come back again. By the time we reached Astorga after several days of 25-30km distances (which is not excessive by many people's standards) they were really terrible again. We paused in Astorga and had them treated. After Astorga we were sure to walk less than 25km each day. And they didn't come back.

So if the other suggestions don't work, try just not walking as far each day.

Of course, it is handy to have some cushion built, not just into your shoes and socks, but into your schedule to allow you to make this adjustment.

Good point @David Tallan . Many of those suffering from blisters that I meet, tend to be younger Pilgrims walking (for me) quite long distances.......

I'll just stick with our foot care regime. Pat and I have never had a blister to date. Not one.
Part of that is keeping distances below 25 kms where we can.

I really feel sorry for those who get them...... :oops:

To me it's about finding a foot care regime that works for you, and sticking with it.
Try the many suggestions and see what works best.

I tried pantyliners/ menstruation pads for the achilles heel and they worked wonders! They don’t move around like sports tape, and they have enough padding to provide soft protection for blisters. .....
Agree. Have been using them under the balls of my feet for years. Solved a serious on-going blister problem for me, after trying various alternatives! 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lanacane works for me( but not necessarily you!)

Well, at least Vaseline might have some side effects, but it doesn't carry a warning about fatal side effects from an overdose (https://www.drugs.com/lanacane.html)!

This is one of those instances where a company has several products for different purposes, and it's important to clarify which product you are recommending.

There is a Lanacane anti-itch cream that does contain benzocaine, but the company also makes an anti-friction gel with these ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch

Screenshot_20231112_141338_Firefox.jpg

There is a very simple and effective way of avoiding blisters on Camino - avoid Camino.

Those determined to walk Camino despite my excellent advice are recommended to follow all the other advices available on this forum. Except applying Vaseline to the exterior of your socks...
This is fantastic.

This is fantastic.
Yes, we can always count on @Tincatinker for good, solid advice; with often a rather heavy dose of interesting humor laced with a bit of light sarcasm thrown in...sometimes I wonder if he has had a bit of orujo prior to posting. If I've been "napping" a bit with some of the usual forum fare, (yawn), I can usually get woken back up with his interesting and unique posts and always I always look forward to what he has to say.🙂 Thanks @Tincatinker!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, we can always count on @Tincatinker for good, solid advice; with often a rather heavy dose of interesting humor laced with a bit of light sarcasm thrown in...sometimes I wonder if he has had a bit of orujo prior to posting. If I've been "napping" a bit with some of the usual forum fare, (yawn), I can usually get woken back up with his interesting and unique posts and always I always look forward to what he has to say.🙂 Thanks @Tincatinker!
Completely - well said!

I feel called upon to add a vote for the nylons, as mentioned above. I learned about them when I was a scout, my husband learned about them in his military service - and they work. I occasionally skip them (because putting them on in the morning is a bit of a chore) and only some times regret that - I just never know in the morning when I will regret it...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
take a 5- 10 min break every hour on the hour.
take off your shoes
take off your socks
swap your socks around (left on right foot, right on left foot. haven't had a blister in donkey's years
works for me

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.