• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best Cultural/Historical Guidebook to Bring?

rfii

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning
Any recommendations for a guide book to bring on the Camino Frances that would explain some of the cultural and historical spots of interest along the way? Not looking for a how-to book on how to walk, where to stay, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any recommendations for a guide book to bring on the Camino Frances that would explain some of the cultural and historical spots of interest along the way? Not looking for a how-to book on how to walk, where to stay, etc.

For a cultural/historical guide many pilgrims use
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson which is available on Amazon[/U] in both paperback and as an ebook

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson which is available on Amazon[/U] in both paperback and as an ebook
Yes! Any other guide, such as Lonely Planet or Beirley (sp) is simply a derivative.

Couldn't agree more. This is an excellent book.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It is an excellent book. I bought the hard copy for my first Camino but had to leave it at home because of its size. I bought the E book for my second Camino and carried it on my phone.

Thanks! I am looking however for a book to bring with me. Is this going to be too big? Prefer not to use an ebook.

It is quite a bulky book (imo), I have just checked its weight : 530 g
It can also be consulted in albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal, it's on the bookshelf.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks! I am looking however for a book to bring with me. Is this going to be too big? Prefer not to use an ebook.

Too heavy to carry in print - at least for me. The ebook is ok, foot notes and images aren't too great, but it works. Buen Camino, SY

In inches it's 9.25 x 6 x 1.25. Pretty large, but light for its size. I'm torn about taking it. It's exactly the kind of guide I want along, I wish I'd had it when I walked last fall. I don't have a problem with e-books per se, but I've found guidebooks very difficult to navigate online. Decisions, decisions ......

Most read last week in this forum