• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best months to hike the Camino de Santiago

OssieMate

Time of past OR future Camino
Hills of Girona 2016
Alto Teruel Spain 2016
Roncevalles to Santiago April (2015)
Le Puy-en-Velay to SJP'dP France April (2014)
San Leo to Assissi Umbria December (2014)
Cascais to Sintra Portugal (2013)
Obernai to Kaysersberg Alsace (2011)
Hi Everyone,

I recently completed the Camino Frances from Le Puy en Velay to Roncevallee in April/May this year.

I am now planning to walk the next stage - the Camino Santiago - commencing in Roncevalle and hiking to Santiago, then onto the coast to Finisterre.

My dilema is, when is the best time in early 2015 to undertake this? I prefer not to go when it is hot so I figure late March, April and mid-May, can someone advise me please.

Kind regards

Ossiemate

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone,

I recently completed the Camino Frances from Le Puy en Velay to Roncevallee in April/May this year.

I am now planning to walk the next stage - the Camino Santiago - commencing in Roncevalle and hiking to Santiago, then onto the coast to Finisterre.

My dilema is, when is the best time in early 2015 to undertake this? I prefer not to go when it is hot so I figure late March, April and mid-May, can someone advise me please.

Kind regards

Ossiemate
I have walked the camino Frances twice at this time of year. The first time was April 12-May 13 2011 from SJPdP and the second time was this year - March 23 from Pamplona.

Both times I found the weather was enjoyable, not too hot at all. Be prepared for rain (and you may not get much - in 2011 we had very little!) and you will be fine.

buen camino

I have walked the camino Frances twice at this time of year. The first time was April 12-May 13 2011 from SJPdP and the second time was this year - March 23 from Pamplona.

Both times I found the weather was enjoyable, not too hot at all. Be prepared for rain (and you may not get much - in 2011 we had very little!) and you will be fine.

buen camino

Norelle

Thank you for your prompt reply.

April and early May seem to be the best months at this stage.

What type of accommodation did you stay in, any hotels?

Kind regards.

Ossiemate

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Norelle

Thank you for your prompt reply.

April and early May seem to be the best months at this stage.

What type of accommodation did you stay in, any hotels?

Kind regards.

Ossiemate

I started from SJPP early April 2014 and it was perfect weather. Cool / cold overnight and first thing in the mornings, but most days shorts and T-shirt weather. I had 2 days of light rain which turned everything into mud and a couple of days wearing a warmer jacket.

I stayed in hotels (self booked) all the way. If you want some recommendations let me know.

[QUOTE="sydunipete, post: 239810, member: 31968"I stayed in hotels (self booked) all the way. If you want some recommendations let me know.[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested in your list of hotels and your opinions on my projected list for next April/May etc.
I enclose a pdf of my list

I have updated my list with more contact details, see new posting further on in this thread.

Last edited:
I would definitely go April-May. Just take a look at the photos on my blog to see what the scenery is like at this time of year - absolutely stunning.
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[QUOTE="sydunipete, post: 239810, member: 31968"I stayed in hotels (self booked) all the way. If you want some recommendations let me know.

I would be very interested in your list of hotels and your opinions on my projected list for next April/May etc.
I enclose a pdf of my list[/QUOTE]

Hi bystander.

Your list of accommodation is much appreciated and you have saved me a lot of research time. I will send my list of accommodation to you shortly, do you have a direct email address that I can send to you. Can you forward your recommendations of hotels please.

I start in Roncevalle.

Regards

Ossiemate

I've walked it in March/April and April/May, and definitely prefer the latter. Apart from the weather the wild spring flowers are beautiful. It does get busier quickly in spring so a few weeks can make a difference from that point of view. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started from SJPP early April 2014 and it was perfect weather. Cool / cold overnight and first thing in the mornings, but most days shorts and T-shirt weather. I had 2 days of light rain which turned everything into mud and a couple of days wearing a warmer jacket.

I stayed in hotels (self booked) all the way. If you want some recommendations let me know.
I'd love some hotel recommendations if you'd like to post them :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked it in March/April and April/May, and definitely prefer the latter. Apart from the weather the wild spring flowers are beautiful. It does get busier quickly in spring so a few weeks can make a difference from that point of view. Buen Camino!

Dear tyrrek,

the spring flowers would be enjoyable but I will need to avoid the Easter holidays , so late April/May are on the cards at present.

Thank you for your comments

all the best.

ossiemate

I would definitely go April-May. Just take a look at the photos on my blog to see what the scenery is like at this time of year - absolutely stunning.
Buen camino!
Ho magwood,

WOW, the weather looks great, wonderful scenery and blue skies!, April looks like a great time to go.

Keep smiling, you look like you had a wonderful time.

Thanks for your reply,

Kind regards

ossiemate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I left SJPdp on 10/5/2013 just after the snow had closed the Napoleon for weeks. The first few days were wet and cold. This year I left on the 11/5 and it was lovely (slight rain first day for a while). Starting at that time gets you to SDC before the big holiday rush in mid June.

I can't make up my mind which time is best - probably early spring for the beautiful wildflowers and lush green fields. But every season has its pleasures - autumn weather is often more settled, with grapes and nuts and harvest festivals to enjoy. Summer warmth, glorious early morning walks and long hours of daylight. The only time I haven't tried is winter and Margaret Meredith makes it sound a winner!

Hi Everyone,

Kind regards

Ossiemate
I would strongly recommend to start anytime during the first two weeks of September. BTW, I just went back this past July and never wore my hat, my poncho, or bothered with sunscreen. Every day I started the day needing to wear a windbreaker jacket. That is how crazy unpredictable weather is getting.....:confused:. I have been on the Camino 4 times in May-- would NOT go back again in May.

A quick question: how well marked is the Via Podiensis youjust completed? That is on the top as next pilgrimage/hiking adventure, but I am challenged when it comes to directions. Please advise, do tell more about your recent experience. Thank you.

Good luck planning. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would strongly recommend to start anytime during the first two weeks of September. BTW, I just went back this past July and never wore my hat, my poncho, or bothered with sunscreen. Every day I started the day needing to wear a windbreaker jacket. That is how crazy unpredictable weather is getting.....:confused:. I have been on the Camino 4 times in May-- would NOT go back again in May.

A quick question: how well marked is the Via Podiensis youjust completed? That is on the top as next pilgrimage/hiking adventure, but I am challenged when it comes to directions. Please advise, do tell more about your recent experience. Thank you.

Good luck planning. Buen Camino.

What was wrong with May ?

What was wrong with May ?
I walked different sections of the Camino in May 1997, 2011, 2012, and 2013. It all of these ocassions it rained more than 75% of the time. In May 2012, I never took off my poncho in 10 days. That said, in May 2011, the day I took off from SJPDP, even though all forecast were about torrential rain, it did not rained a drop during the whole way SJPDP- Roncesvalles (as a matter of fact I did not see rain until after Pamplona). Early April has proven to be more beautiful weather at the initial sections of the Camino than May. Again, trying to predict weather in Northern Spain can be an exercise in futility; I am oly going by personal experience. I walked June-July this year and had to wear a winbreaker jacket every morning; temps in the upper 50's every morning.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back