• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2024 Camino Frances to Santiago de Compostela cost

Bog526

Time of past OR future Camino
None, looking at sept 2024
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some food. 45 day estimate is 7900 +/-. Prices have jumped over our last visit. Second thoughts now on a 45 day pilgrimage .. hate to say it

Has anyone completed the Frances route and added of the cost minus airfares.?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Bog526, there have been multiple threads that have touched on this topic over the last couple of months. The general consensus has been that budget’s run from €30 pp, per day (one or two who achieve less!) to the sky is your limit. Many of us seem to fall in the €40-50 bracket, with occasional private rooms etc. Logically, that’s easier to achieve as a couple. As always, the less you self cater, and the more private rooms you take, the higher the costs. Astonishingly, you can still find some Albergues for just €8 pp, pn.

It totally depends on your expectations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stay at municipal albergues and donativos, prepare your own food (eat a lot of pasta), avoid alcohol in bars and prepare to lose some weight. You can achieve under €20 a day.

Not advice i would take but i did manage to spend very little some days, mainly when there were no restaurants open..

I met a guy who cooked plain pasta at night for his evening meal and reheated some for breakfast. That met most of his calorie requirement. Aside from that he bought fruit when it was €1 a kilo - mainly bananas and mandarin oranges.

It's up to you really. Many people opt to have a few very cheap days and the odd splurge day

€120 a day even for 2 is splurging every day. It may be cheaper to book a 3 star all inclusive in Corralejo.

@Bog526, there have been multiple threads that have touched on this topic over the last couple of months. The general consensus has been that budget’s run from €30 pp, per day (one or two who achieve less!) to the sky is your limit. Many of us seem to fall in the €40-50 bracket, with occasional private rooms etc. Logically, that’s easier to achieve as a couple. As always, the less you self cater, and the more private rooms you take, the higher the costs. Astonishingly, you can still find some Albergues for just €8 pp, pn.

It totally depends on your expectations.
Hi, i should have looked more thoroughly, once i seen the amount of threads i could not find how to delete my post . Albeit, i am learning from people mentionings, thank you

Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some food.
You must not have booked at the albergue in Roncesvalles. You can get a bed plus dinner and breakfast there for €31 each.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some food. 45 day estimate is 7900 +/-. Prices have jumped over our last visit. Second thoughts now on a 45 day pilgrimage .. hate to say it

At Rabanal. Typically spending 40 to 60€ for a private room, 30€ for main meal, 10 € for breakfast & 10~20 € for drinks and bar snacks. We are not skimping and have gone out to a proper restaurant and typically 60€ for 2 & stay in a hotel on rest days, 80~120€ per night .
Hope this helps

I could easily do 2 caminos for 45 days including airfare for the price you quoted. I would even have a nice chunk of change left over. If you want to walk and stay in upscale htels and eat out every meal than yes prices have gone up in Spain just like everywhere else in the world. If you want to do a camino for 30-35 euros a day, and some days even closer to 20 Euros a day I would be happy to talk with you about what I do. My point is not to criticize but to show we all have our own reasons and methods. If you want a "high end" camino then you have to pay a high end price. There are some that spend more than you and others who spend less than me. Then there probably is the majority that are somewhere in between.
For me, personally I believe a camino is not meant to be easy or comfortable. I think there are very valuable lessons to learn when one walks a very basic camino with few materialistic comforts.
Before my first camino my daughter had just returned from traveling the world for one year. After I hugged and kissed my baby girl I asked her the two most basic questions. How are you. She was glowing so I really didn't need to ask but you know parents, my second was how was it:
She held my hands and said: "Daddy I learned that all I need in my life is You and Mommy and Allie's (her sister) love and my few close friends and what I can carry on my back. The rest is bullshit and a burden.
I thought of what she told me on my first camino and I walked like that. I have tried to live my life and my caminos the same way ever since.

Last edited:
I could easily do 2 caminos for 45 days including airfare for the price you quoted. I would even have a nice chunk of change left over. If you want to walk and stay in upscale htels and eat out every meal than yes prices have gone up in Spain just like everywhere else in the world. If you want to do a camino for 30-35 euros a day, and some days even closer to 20 Euros a day I would be happy to talk with you about what I do. My point is not to criticize but to show we all have our own reasons and methods. If you want a "high end" camino then you have to pay a high end price. There are some that spend more than you and others who spend less than me. Then there probably is the majority that are somewhere in between.
For me, personally I believe a camino is not meant to be easy or comfortable. I think there are very valuable lessons to learn when one walks a very basic camino with few materialistic comforts.
Before my first camino my daughter had just returned from traveling the world for one year. After I hugged and kissed my baby girl I asked her the two most basic questions. How are you. She was glowing so I really didn't need to ask but you know parents, my second was how was it:
She held my hands and said: "Daddy I learned that all I need in my life is You and Mommy and Allie's (her sister) love and what I can carry on my back. The rest is bullshit and a burden.
I thought of what she told me on my first camino and I walked like that. I have tried to live my life and my caminos the same way ever since.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes that costs is very high I assume you are staying in hotels at that price albergues are not that expensive. One dorm bed is between 12-20 euro. Even a private room in an Albergue can be as low as 24 euro. I did the Frances in 42 days and my average daily cost including meals was about 45-50 euro. I budgeted higher and saved quite a bit.

As a couple we completed the Frances in October 2023. Individually it cost 1,850 Euro for the 38 days i.e. 49 Euro per day each. We stayed mostly in albergues with a few donativos and treated ourselves to a private room in a casa rural, hotel or similar once a week. Food was mostly pilgrim meals, lots of coffee and cake and good vegetarian meals in larger towns. And as @JerryStroebele points out there would be expenses incurred if you stayed at home that should reduce the overall impact. Worth ever Euro IMHO.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)
We are not looking for comfort just basics however I am not obviously using the proper resourses. I was looking for dorm style that has like group meals . If you could share your resources I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

As a couple we completed the Frances in October 2023. Individually it cost 1,850 Euro for the 38 days i.e. 49 Euro per day each. We stayed mostly in albergues with a few donativos and treated ourselves to a private room in a casa rural, hotel or similar once a week. Food was mostly pilgrim meals, lots of coffee and cake and good vegetarian meals in larger towns. And as @JerryStroebele points out there would be expenses incurred if you stayed at home that should reduce the overall impact. Worth ever Euro IMHO.
Thanks, I have not heard about donativos.. how to you find these along the route?

She held my hands and said: "Daddy I learned that all I need in my life is You and Mommy and Allie's (her sister) love and my few close friends and what I can carry on my back. The rest is bullshit and a burden.
We are not looking for comfort just basics however I am not obviously using the proper resourses. I was looking for dorm style that has like group meals . If you could share your resources I would greatly appreciate it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks going to look again on finding what you were mentioning. Where would I start to look for the albergues with donavitos and casa rurals

Thanks

Thanks going to look again on finding what you were mentioning. Where would I start to look for the albergues with donavitos and casa rurals
Any of the guides or apps will list donativos as well as other types of accommodation as will the resources on the forum. Note that donativos may not have a set cost but rely on the donations so overall the costs could be similar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bear in mind that - depending on your personal financial situation - a donativo should not necessarily be cheaper than equivalent commercial alternatives.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked in May and June last year, 40 days from Pamplona to Santiago. I stayed entirely in private accommodations and didn’t limit what or where I ate. My total cost was about 3800 Euros, or about 95 Euros per day. This total includes all my expenses (including a few pharmacy visits and taxis/busses along the way, laundry, touristy things, etc.). Lodging and food alone averaged about 80 Euros per day.

wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some food. 45 day estimate is 7900 +/-. Prices have jumped over our last visit. Second thoughts now on a 45 day pilgrimage
Well Wow haha. The way you worded your original post I think that almost all of us thought that you were talking about private rooms and restaurants each night. There was no mention of you looking to sleep in basic environs.
The least expensive and often the most rewarding options are donativos and municipal albergues. Remember donativo does NOT mean free. You should leave a minimum donations of what a municipal albergue would charge and if they offer a communal meal you should also leave at least 10E. If they offer both you should leave at least 20-22E. Some even offer breakfast. 3E would be the minimum for that.
You can also prepare dinner at many albergues. (Not the municipal Xuntas in Galicia). Most have a partial kitchen and many have a full kitchen. When you arrive check to see what pots and pans and spices etc an albergue may have before you go to the store to buy food. A partial kitchen will most likely be a refrigerator and microwave.
No one source has all available places to stay. You should always look at Gronze.com and there are also two very good apps called Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. They will all give you a description of the albergues and tell you if they are monasteries or donativos etc. There are some amazing donativos that have really only the most basic of basic services but reward you in many other ways. For example these are some wonderful and famous and as basic as they come albergues:
There are any others

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We are not looking for comfort just basics however I am not obviously using the proper resourses. I was looking for dorm style that has like group meals
You will find what you are looking for on Gronze.com
The (approximate) prices are listed, and donativo (not free!) places are indicated with a D.

Where and how did you book Roncesvalles?

Well Wow haha. The way you worded your original post I think that almost all of us thought that you were talking about private rooms and restaurants each night. There was no mention of you looking to sleep in basic environs.
The least expensive and often the most rewarding options are donativos and municipal albergues. Remember donativo does NOT mean free. You should leave a minimum donations of what a municipal albergue would charge and if they offer a communal meal you should also leave at least 10E. If they offer both you should leave at least 20-22E. Some even offer breakfast. 3E would be the minimum for that.
You can also prepare dinner at many albergues. (Not the municipal Xuntas in Galicia). Most have a partial kitchen and many have a full kitchen. When you arrive check to see what pots and pans and spices etc an albergue may have before you go to the store to buy food. A partial kitchen will most likely be a refrigerator and microwave.
No one source has all available places to stay. You should always look at Gronze.com and there are also two very good apps called Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. They will all give you a description of the albergues and tell you if they are monasteries or donativos etc. There are some amazing donativos that have really only the most basic of basic services but reward you in many other ways. For example these are some wonderful and famous and as basic as they come albergues:
There are any others
Thank you so very much for the detailed explanation, this makes it easier to calculate.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day

Dave

Thanks
The best resource for this is probably Gronze.com (which is in Spanish, but Chrome can translate for you if you aren't comfortable enough with the language.

Or you could just look at the "Online Guide (beta)" that you can see in the main menu on the top of this site (on computer) or in the flyout menu on the left (on mobile), which is provided by Wise Pilgrim. Both of these will share a wide range of inexpensive dorm style accommodations and indicate which offer communal meals.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back