• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best months to walk the Camino Frances: May/June or Sept/Oct?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tricky one Firefly - both are good .. depends on what you prefer .. early summer with all growing and green, moving into hot hot days, or early autumn and the closing down of the year. Traditionally Sept/Oct is a pleasant climate time to walk in. September sees the highest number of pilgrims leaving St Jean.

Hey, Hang on! You are from Alabama! so you'll not be worrying about heat!

Will be interesting to see other replies.

Mind you .. May/June is closer in time ....

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've walked both times and I prefer May.
First of all, it is slightly cooler in May compared to September.
I found a lot more people on the trail in September compared to May.
There is more walking time also, as the day is shorter in September.

Different scenery in May / June too. If you like greens compared to browns..my vote is May

I can't say when the 'best' time is, depends on what you want
What I can say is I did it this year , leaving Lourdes on 11th September, linking into the Camino France's on 17th, then to SdC for the 26th October..
The weather overall was ... Brilliant !
- hot at the beginning in France, cooler once into Spain, and in total I only recall 2 rainy days !! (?of course there may have been a few cloudier days !)
Nice walking temperatures.... Shorts,shirt all the way !

By arriving at SJPP on 17th September I was just behind a big rush ( so I was told ) and the numbers of people on the Camino was nice... Always space , everywhere... No rushing around... Great company

I got into SdC just before the Albergues were closing for the winter, so again good timing

Now, your choice, whatever you decide will be the right decision, go enjoy !

Ultreia
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've only walked Sept/Oct. and loved the cool mornings, clear skies and warm afternoons. This year will be May/June for the reasons others have stated-the vibrant colors that come with that time of year.

We started late April, everything is green, lots of wild flowers, no large crowds of pilgrims, heard no accounts of bedbugs but the downside is we did have about a week of rain and it was very cold at times. I do prefer to walk in the cold than to walk in the heat. The choice is your's but no matter when you go, you will enjoy the walk.

I chose September 4th of 2015 due to a work schedule because I own my own business and a few days before Labor Day everything goes quiet and gives me more time for the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done both and agree with the May option, though I rather start at SJPDP in April and journey to SDC along with the lively and lush spring. Also, I love the possibility of snow.
Buen Camino,
Arn
Hi! Just wondering what kind of weather I could expect at the end of April and int May? And any tips on what extras i might need to be prepared for the weather and conditions? Thanks!

Hi,
For winter weather where the temps for SJPDP/Roncesvalles/Pamplonawill average Highs for April: 60F/15C
and May 70F/21C and Lows for April: 42F/5C and May 48F/9C

I have found that, in order to keep my body core temperature comfortable, while hiking all I need is a good mid-weight Fleece vest and a good quality windbreaker. Should the temperature drop below the averages, the addition of a vapor barrier is suggested. In my case, this vapor barrier is a black trash bag. Precut out a place for your head and arms. This can be folded quite small and weighs practically nothing.
These three items can replace a much heavier coat which may be both bulky and likely to be removed as the body temperature rises. Of course, some folks like to have the "Michelin Man" look.
Light weight gloves, good socks and ear band are about all I need.
Then again, this is my situation and will likely differ from others.
Buen "Cold and Dry always beats Wet and Cold" Camino,
Arn

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I
Greetings!

I would like to know members opinions on which time is best for walking the Camino Frances with regards to weather, and amount of pilgrims on the trail. I am planning either May/June or Sept/Oct. Thank you!

Diane (Firefly57)
It depends on what you want, but this was my experience.
We walked the Camino Frances the last part of August and all of September 2013. During September there are less students. I did not experience rush for accommodations. We arrived SJPD on August 17th. Imagine walking into town in the mist of a wonderful Basque festival. A parade, a Basque style running of the bulls, and music, bands and celebrations. As far as the weather-it was very good in September. You can avoid a lot of hot weather in the Meseta by leaving your albergue early in the morning. I must admit that when we got to Galicia we experienced rain. When we return again, we will go at the same time without a doubt.

Last edited:
We walked May & June 2014. If doing it again I think I would do it September & October. We found that there was too much competition for beds during June. Difficult to compete for a bed EVERY day with people making reservations with cell phones or using bikes. Should be less problems with those people in the Fall. We seemed to end almost every day with the same group of 20 or so people who just walked with no plans for where they would sleep that night.

I have walked the camino several times in spring, Mai/June, but also one in autumn arriving in SdC end of October, walking from Le Puy. I really enjoyed the autumn, and would like to do that again. Dry paths instead of mud, the blackberries, nuts, figs and grapes of course, less people, may have changed since 2009, darker in the morning, people got out later. But defenitely more garbage after thousands of people leaving things behind them throughout spring and summer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings!

I would like to know members opinions on which time is best for walking the Camino Frances with regards to weather, and amount of pilgrims on the trail. I am planning either May/June or Sept/Oct. Thank you!

Diane (Firefly57)
I have done both snd prefer much the Sept/october/November. More time to reflect, no long lines, cooler weather.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

I live here in Spain and can walk out the door on any date, so I have planned on going during the time frame when there is; 1. Less people(no fights for a place to sleep), and 2. Temperatures neither freezing or baking, and 3. No major fiestas/celebrations taking place. 15 March thru 15 May. This time is bound to be the opportunity for more rainfall but my gortex and poncho laugh at it and keep on truckin. Bedbugs (although they stay inside around the furnace) should be at a minimum after this winter(we have snow and ice and below freezing temps this year). The weather is always like russian roulette-never know until it is on you-so prepare for bad and hope for great. Good luck to you whenever you decide and most of all, enjoy the total experiance..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
we've been having fairly late springs lately and late autumns as well, but it could be different this year... 2013 & 2014 septembers and octobers were fairly warm/hot during the day and even at times into the night. as for spring, days and nights did not really lose their late-winter feeling until the end of may. however, i can only really talk about the section between león and SdC. definitely more rain in the spring. buen camino!

Greetings!

Diane (Firefly57)
Can only speak for March and September. March was cool, easy walking but where the trail was shared by farm vehicles it was very muddy particularly the stretch from San Bol to Hontanas. Also, enough people to keep it interesting but not crowded. September was warmer but still cool in the early morning. Bear in mind that September sees each morning a little darker each day and if the weather is dull and you are under tree cover it can be between 8 and 9 before it really brightens up. I have heard some say that they had problems with crowds the same September I was there but I was either blind or in another dimension but I did not have any problems getting a bed at night. This year I am going for late April to late May

Have only done August - October - really enjoyed that time of the year - hot at times - rain at the end in Galacia - shorts and shirt stuff.Crowded at the choke points but able to have time alone or plenty of good company.The countryside is a variety as you move through from region to region but always looking great and good walking weather with it. I picked that time of year because the rainfall stats showed it was dryer - no regrets.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did May/June this year 2014 and had that one day of snow and sleet on the way from SJPDP.....It was cold over the mountains. From then on days were very pleasant and never too hot or cold. Did have plenty of rain however. Headed to do it again Sept 2015 to see what that is like, Cant wait to get started....Buena Suerte on your decision.
Ed

Greetings!

Diane (Firefly57)
Hello, I walked just this past Sept. and found it to be just right for myself. There was all way's places to stay and not very crowded which was great for me. The weather in early Sept. was a bit worm which was strange but cooled off nicely by the end going into Oct. Every one I came across was wonderfully helpful and friendly. I will say though, work your Spanish a lot if you can before you go it will help you and many others and your hosts feel more friendly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings!

Diane (Firefly57)
Springtime is beautiful! Flowers. Green fields. Mild temps.

I walked the Francis in October. Experienced few days of rain mainly through Galicia. It was still very warm during the days and cooler at night/mornings specially at the beginning. Either time you pick, enjoy the walk.

I got into SdC just before the Albergues were closing for the winter, so again good timing

Jotown, when do the albergues close for the winter? My trip is planned for Sept 19-Nov. 14. I plan to finish the Camino in a reasonable timeframe and then spend some time in Cordoba.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My vote is April-May - it was beautiful: good walking temperatures and so green.

Jotown, when do the albergues close for the winter? My trip is planned for Sept 19-Nov. 14. I plan to finish the Camino in a reasonable timeframe and then spend some time in Cordoba.
Many ( but not all ) Albergues are closing for the winter by the end of October , and times can change due to the weather / numbers if pilgrims...
When I did it there were several already starting to get ready to close for the winter , although still plenty available... enjoy !!

I've only walked Sept/Oct. and loved the cool mornings, clear skies and warm afternoons. This year will be May/June for the reasons others have stated-the vibrant colors that come with that time of year.

My wife and I walked Camino France from Leon to Santiago de Compostella in September 2017. After coming back to USA, we "booked" air tickets here to Paris and will go to Saint Jean PP in May 2018. We both couldn't wait .... we are so anxious to come back to Camino. We chose May.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back