A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Best place to start in italy

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
2014 Pamplona to burgos
Hi this is just pie in the sky stuff but would Aosta be a good place to start the walk in Italy?

Galloglaigh

Camino(s) past & future
Member of the Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), CP (2020)
If Aosta in in consideration, then why not start 100m outside Italy at the GSB pass hostel. Taken as half-way on the VF.

Camino(s) past & future
2014 Pamplona to burgos
If I do this I would like to start in May and the alps would be too hard at that time of the year

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
If it is mid to late May you are more than likely able to walk up to GSB Pass. The roads could well be open except for the few hundred metres across the pass. I was there at the end of May and that is what I found, though I suspect it depends on the year. You are more than likely able to get to Saint Rhemy - a very pretty village. Aosta is a great place to start otherwise.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Which direction? SdC - Aosta is a beautiful area walked and climbed there often when I was younger...much younger. Thinking practically I would consider starting from Torino (not my favorite city) headed SW to catch the Via Tolosana in Arles. Rome? The Assisi Way begins in Vezelay flows through or closeby Aosta and would allow you to miss some those high passes - lodging on both the Via Francigena and the Assisi Way can be austere. I have walked from La Verne through Assisi to Rome fantastic views art and architecture but can be a challenge logistically food lodging etc.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Seems like a good enough place, though I'd mildly suggest starting the walk upon disembarkation at the airport or arrival from a train, even though on first go that might just be to wherever you'll sleep there.

And then (less mildly) walking from there all the Way to Rome, not just some section.

There's something from completing a pilgrimage through walking every step of the Way that is easily lost from unnecessary compromise (health problems excepted always).

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
stevov Via Francigena to Rome 7
O Via Francigena to Rome 11

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%