A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Best time to Walk

Camino Badges

SMAKCANADA

Camino(s) past & future
Looking forward to CF in 2021.
When people say the Camino is 'crowded' in September, what exactly does that mean? Is there is a lack of accommodation, restaurants are full, or too many people on the way to be able to feel like It's a solitary pilgrimage rather than a holiday, or there are too many vehicles on the roads? I haven't done it so I'd like a picture of what crowded means and why a month with fewer participants is better.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
May and September are the most popular months to start from SJPDP. Because of that there can be some "bottlenecks" until around Pamplona, with most pilgrims ending up in the same towns. It has been reported during these months that pilgrims have had to take taxis to alternate accommodations. I would consider prebooking up through Pamplona.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Vehicles are rarely an issue as relatively little of the Frances is on roads these days. Accommodation shortages can and do happen at times in September - particularly in the section between SJPDP and Pamplona. Restaurants can also be busy. The Camino Frances these days is not a route for those seeking solitude for much of the year in my opinion. On a busy September day there may be over 400 people each day walking each of the earlier stages though that does tend to thin out after Pamplona. A sizeable proportion appear to drop out in the first few days. If you are planning to start walking closer to Santiago - and about a quarter of all Compostelas go to people who begin their walk in Sarria - then you must be prepared for sharing the Camino every day with several hundred others.

Bobthebome

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (future - 2018) from Porto
I am planning to start from SJPdP during the 3rd week of September 2020. Will the crowds have thinned out somewhat by then?

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I am planning to start from SJPdP during the 3rd week of September 2020. Will the crowds have thinned out somewhat by then?
May and September are the busiest months for departures from SJPP, so no, crowds won't start thinning out until October. If that's the best timing for you, don't be deterred! Just consider making reservations for your first several days, or be prepared with Plan B. Another suggestion is to leave SJPP on a Tuesday or Wednesday since many people travel and start on the weekend.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.5%