• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best towns near Porto along the Camino

Brightmore

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello everyone,

I hope to attempt the Camino Portuguese coastal route from Porto next spring.

I have the option of spending two days in Porto before departure along the Camino. Alternatively, I can leave on the second day, mid morning (after church), thereby making the next day shorter. I have been to Porto before, so I am leaning towards departing early.

What would you say of a standout towns along the Camino Portuguese, coastal route, specifically between Porto and Labruge. So far Google tells me Matosinhos, which is 10k outside Porto, but really interested to hear everyone’s ideas.

Thanks in advance :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Matosinhos and it's industrial harbor and the lifting bridge is interesting.

For me, I prefer the more quiet, smaller towns. I walked to Vila do Conde on the first day and came through Lavra, a small hamlet with a huge beach and few restaurants and Cafes near the beach, which I really loved.
Sit and watch. Really nice.

HTH

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Along the same line, I’m interested in hearing about all the interesting places between Porto and Satiago. I’m thinking of a leisurely Camino that allows time to explore sites along the way. The recommendation to stay in Matosinhos and take the sardine factory tour is a great example of what I’m looking for. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I hope to attempt the Camino Portuguese coastal route from Porto next spring.

I have the option of spending two days in Porto before departure along the Camino. Alternatively, I can leave on the second day, mid morning (after church), thereby making the next day shorter. I have been to Porto before, so I am leaning towards departing early.

What would you say of a standout towns along the Camino Portuguese, coastal route, specifically between Porto and Labruge. So far Google tells me Matosinhos, which is 10k outside Porto, but really interested to hear everyone’s ideas.

Thanks in advance :)
Exciting! We're also walking this Camino beginning in early March. Bom Caminho!

My first day musings taking the river-coast route out of Porto, for whatever they’re worth:

Portuguese Coastal Camino Diary

Day 1: Porto to Vila Chã — 26km​

A pre-dawn departure from Porto and it’s exciting to be back on the camino and to walk through a virtually empty city after it was bursting at the seams with tourists yesterday afternoon.

I take the alternative river exit and I’m glad I did, even though the absence of arrows at the outset of a camino is slightly disconcerting — not for wayfinding, because that’s quite obvious, but because it doesn’t help you land on the right side of ‘Does this feel like a camino?’ when there are no arrows. But soon I pass three Italian pilgrims and we exchange ‘bom caminhos’, and a camino it is.

Where the river meets the ocean at Foz do Douro is my favourite part of the stage, because there are lighthouses and fishermen and a surprisingly interesting fort to explore all to myself (not to mention the fabulously-named Instituto de Socorros a Náufragos — something like the ‘Shipwreck Rescue Institute’). Foz feels like a real place, unlike Matosinhos, which comes soon enough and is quite the shock.

There are beaches by now and it’s August so they’re jam-packed with holiday-makers, even though the beaches aren’t especially nice and are surrounded by industrial cranes and silos and ugly modern buildings. The beaches and umbrellas and people and development seem to go on forever, and by 9:15am I’ve already seen two Pizza Huts and this isn’t the Portugal I know. But there are arrows and a Lidl in Matosinhos so I take those little wins, stock up, and move on.

Then the boardwalks begin and the rhythm for the rest of the stage is set. Walking a camino on wooden planks is new for me and not my preferred surface but it’s still pretty easy walking because it’s not hot and you can’t exactly get lost on boardwalks. As I approach São Paio the holiday crowds start thinning out a bit and it seems more low key and there’s a nice estuary full of bird life, all of which is more to my liking.

Before I know it, I reach my destination, the fishing village of Vila Chã, and it’s not even 2pm yet and if that was really 26km, it was as much of a breeze as the one coming off the ocean.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The other option with Matosinhos is to walk the 10km there and take the tram back into Porto. Its an easy day without a rucksack and then the next morning catch the tram to Matosinhos, and gives some extra time in Porto too.

The other option with Matosinhos is to walk the 10km there and take the tram back into Porto. Its an easy day without a rucksack and then the next morning catch the tram to Matosinhos, and gives some extra time in Porto too.
After my CF 4 years ago, I flew home from Porto and accidentally 😂 walked up to Matosinhos on the beach side. Walked back to Passeio Allegre and took the Eletrico.

Hi Nick, I walked the Camino Portuguese Central route in May 2019, but my first day out of Porto was identical to yours, although we continued to Matosinhos for the night..You have brought my memories to life, although there were no sunbathers nor festive umbrellas on the beach on May 2nd.
Your daily write-ups are always detailed and a pleasure to read and my own attempts at documenting my Caminos definitely pale in comparison.
Thanks for posting your link to this Camino; better for me to read it late than to have missed it permanently.
P.S. Your musings are worth a lot!😊

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

If I did the CP again, this is the one idea I would try. Get to Matosinhos by lunchtime and have fresh charcoal-grilled fish in one of the many restaurants there. Then go back to Porto for an evening of wine tasting.

Then mass next day to give thanks for a wonderful day.

Along the same line, I’m interested in hearing about all the interesting places between Porto and Satiago. I’m thinking of a leisurely Camino that allows time to explore sites along the way. The recommendation to stay in Matosinhos and take the sardine factory tour is a great example of what I’m looking for. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Stop in Viana do Castelo, if you're on that route on the coast, and visit the Gil Eannes hospital ship museum.

This was the "mothership" for the Portuguese fleet of schooners that spent each summer on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland (Canada). It was a hospital ship, complete with operating rooms, and a variety of support services for the fishermen who fished in dories, lived in schooners, and stayed at sea for months at a time...

They have turned the ship into a really interesting museum. Worth visiting!

It's pronounced "Jill Uh-nej," more or less.

Bom caminho!

Hi Nick, I walked the Camino Portuguese Central route in May 2019, but my first day out of Porto was identical to yours, although we continued to Matosinhos for the night..You have brought my memories to life, although there were no sunbathers nor festive umbrellas on the beach on May 2nd.
Your daily write-ups are always detailed and a pleasure to read and my own attempts at documenting my Caminos definitely pale in comparison.
Thanks for posting your link to this Camino; better for me to read it late than to have missed it permanently.
P.S. Your musings are worth a lot!😊
Thank you! 🙈

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! 🙈
Nick, I had finished reading your write-up and walked it with you "in spirit", so to speak. I especially loved the picture of the mosaic in Apulia; its rather black and white scene sprinkled with a pop of color make it very unique.
I, too, had read about "the crystal beach of sea glass" on the forum some time ago. I am a scavenger of sea glass and pretty rocks, so I'd gotten quite excited reading about this glass "treasure trove" for a future walk until I had read further research saying that you are not allowed to take any "souvenirs" away. What?!...I can't fill the little side pouches of my pack's waist strap with a plethora of those jewels?! I was disappointed.😐
Oh well, life goes on...well done, you, as usual.

My first day musings taking the river-coast route out of Porto, for whatever they’re worth:

Portuguese Coastal Camino Diary
Wow, that is not the Matosinhos I walked through. We did detour away from the water in the old town to check out the fish market which took us past a great little family run restaurant with a few tables on the sidewalk. Dad was manning the grill outside and we couldn’t resist his friendly greeting. First of many fantastic seafood meals and we had shots of grappa with Dad to aid in digesting. :)
But I saw no pizza huts!

Last edited:
Stop in Viana do Castelo, if you're on that route on the coast, and visit the Gil Eannes hospital ship museum.

This was the "mothership" for the Portuguese fleet of schooners that spent each summer on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland (Canada). It was a hospital ship, complete with operating rooms, and a variety of support services for the fishermen who fished in dories, lived in schooners, and stayed at sea for months at a time...

They have turned the ship into a really interesting museum. Worth visiting!

It's pronounced "Jill Uh-nej," more or less.

Bom caminho!
Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you do end up staying in Matosinhos, take the Pinhais sardine factory tour. It's really intreresting and you get enough samples in their "tasting" room to make lunch.
That sounds wonderful :)
Here’s a bit more info about visiting the factory.
It’s an extremely interesting tour— one of only two working sardine factories that still does all the work by hand.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back