• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Pamplona to SJPP in March?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleJ

Hi everyone,

I understand that the bus between Pamplona and SJPP is closed for the winter, so what would be the best way to make the trip at this time of year? I'm by myself, so a taxi fare might be a bit steep for me. Are there alternatives or else other peregrinos looking to arrive on March 2nd that might want to split a fare?

Much appreciated,
Kyle

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kyle,

While the bus going directly from Pamplona to SJPP may be seasonal, there is a year round daily bus that you can catch departing Pamplona in the early evening (18:00) to Roncesvalles. From Roncesvalles to SJPP it is possible to take a taxi. For the majority of the year, and likely in early March, you can meet up with other pilgrims on that bus with whom you can share a taxi and thus its cost onward to SJPP. Taxis are generally on standby in Roncesvalles waiting for the bus to arrive. You will not be alone.

Buen Camino!

Okay, a bus sounds manageable. Given the time of departure, how likely is it to arrive in SJPP in time to eat, register, and get to bed early enough to start up first thing the next morning? Ideally, if I'm going to see the sun set in Finisterre, I'd like to see it rise in SJPP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are taxi services going form Pamplona to SJPP. I personally do not have any experience with them but do imagine they would be expensive and it would be difficult trying to find people to share the ride and costs. I made one feeble and ultimately unsuccessful attempt at organizing this, only to ultimately opt for the bus.

The bus to Roncesvalles with a taxi further to SJPP takes about 3 hours. You'll be dropped off near the Pilgrim's Office where at that time of year it shouldn't take very long to get your credential stamped and if needed get their assistance is securing accomodations.

As for dinner, most restaurants are closing by that time. There was one pizza restaurant that keeps later hours. On both occasions when I went to SJPP (this was 2010) I joined with some other people from the taxi ride and enjoyed dinner there. It was a nice first interaction with fellow pilgrims. In fact in the one case three of us stayed basically together from that point throughout the entire way to Santiago.

If you are concerned about dinner prospects, eat something before leaving Pamplona. In Pamplona you can also buy food to take with you to SJPP. There is a Corte Ingles Department store near the Pamplona bus station that has an extensive food market on the lower level of the store.

Once settled in for the night you can rest well and awaken in ample time to get on your way as the sun starts to rise over the vilage. It is spectacular!

Buen Camino!

"eat something before leaving Pamplona"

Can't believe that hadn't occurred to me. :shock: Good advice all around. I land around 1:00 in the afternoon, so would you recommend waiting the five hours at the station or wandering Pamplona until the bus is ready to go? Thanks again!

They've added a second bus going daily from Pamplona to Roncesvalles that leaves earlier in the afternoon than 6PM. I do not know whether it operates year round or like the direct Pamplona - SJPP bus is scheduled only in summer.

Perhaps someone else on the forum who is more knowledgable can comment on that. In any event after arriving in Pamplona you can go to the bus station window and inquire.

If you have a few hours in Pamplona, know that the bus station is centrally located so you can spend the time unwinding and walking around a bit.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Kyle, There is a shuttle service with a company called Express Burricot that does pilgrim transfers from Pamplona airport to St jean. You might want to look at their site http://www.expressbourricot.com
Ideally you want to find someone to share with as the cost goes down the more they fit in. I am arriving March 23 at Pamplona and hoping to find someone arriving same day to share with. buen camino , allison

There is at least one bus daily from Pamplona to Paris that goes through Bayonne (Bayona). Check the ALSA international schedule. Sometime, probably April 1, ALSA adds the Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port bus. There does not seem to be an announcement yet on their site. They usually announce it after it has started (very Spanish - no commitment in advance).

When I was in Roncesvalle trying to get to St. Jean there was a private tour buses outside of Roncesvalle. I asked the driver if I might catch a lift to St Jean and he obliged most politely and refused any payment. The tourists on the bus seemed tickled to encounter a "real" pilgrims. Not sure if there are many/any tour buses in March but if you see one, it's worth a shot!

Best of luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kyle-- most definitely contact Express Bouricott, Caroline is very good at replying quickly and keeps you updated as the van fills up (which mean your fare goes down!). I made reservations and I started with a quote of 16 Euros. By the time I got to Pamplona the van was filled and I paid 9 Euros. There were plenty people outside the Pamplona bus station looking for rides to SJPDP, so as a last resource get to Pamplona and see who else can split a fare with you. Buen Camino my Friend! :wink:

Thank you all so much! I just sent an E-mail to Express Bourricot. I hope that when they say they will be returning in March, they mean March 1!

KyleJ said:
Thank you all so much! I just sent an E-mail to Express Bourricot. I hope that when they say they will be returning in March, they mean March 1!
I looked up the info and they will return March 20. Sorry about that. Fortunately for me, I will be arriving in Pamplona March 30. I am hoping that I will be able to share the bus with other peregrinos.
Buen Camino
Hieu

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hieudovan said:
KyleJ said:
I looked up the info and they will return March 20. Sorry about that. Fortunately for me, I will be arriving in Pamplona March 30. I am hoping that I will be able to share the bus with other peregrinos.
Buen Camino
Hieu
I just received a response from Caroline to my email. I had planned to go from Pamplona to SJPDP on March 30. That would have cost me 84 Euros as I would have been by myself. However, Caroline told me that if I go the next day, March 31, there will be a group leaving at 16:00 hrs. The cost will only be 18 Euros. Now that's a no-brainer. I'll stay the night in Pamplona and leave March 31 for SJPDP. Not only will I save some money, I'll also get to meet fellow peregrinos right on the bus, before I even start walking. So far so good!
That settles for me the first 2 days of my Camino. I will stay at L'Espirit du Chemin on March 31, then Orrison the next night. Hope to see some of you then.
Buen Camino
Hieu

hieudovan said:
I just received a response from Caroline to my email. I had planned to go from Pamplona to SJPDP on March 30. That would have cost me 84 Euros as I would have been by myself. However, Caroline told me that if I go the next day, March 31, there will be a group leaving at 16:00 hrs. The cost will only be 18 Euros. Now that's a no-brainer. I'll stay the night in Pamplona and leave March 31 for SJPDP. Not only will I save some money, I'll also get to meet fellow peregrinos right on the bus, before I even start walking. So far so good!
That settles for me the first 2 days of my Camino. I will stay at L'Espirit du Chemin on March 31, then Orrison the next night. Hope to see some of you then.
Buen Camino
Hieu

Caroline is really good with E-mails. She told me there is a chance she can drive earlier, but it will probably depend on how many other interested peregrinos contact her for the same day. Anyone?

Hi Kyle and anyone else on this thread, I am also still looking for someone to share the shuttle cost with on 23 March from Pamplona to St Jean. Caroline did return an early January email from me ,but just to say not to worry and to contact her closer to the time, which i haven't as yet -thought i would try here first. so thanx in anticipation -allison

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all

I am doing my first Camino this week and aim to start from SJPP and walk to Roncevalles on Friday 11th May. I will be meeting a group of friends there on the evening of the 11th May

My problem is that I fly in to Barcelona on the 10th and the earliest I can get to Pamlona is by a 3 pm train which gets me there around 7.30 pm which is too late for transport to SJPP so staying the night there.

I am looking for transport the morning of 11th May early to SJPP to allow time to do the 25 k walk to Roncevalles. Caroline at EXPRESS BOURRICOT is leaving that morning from Pamlona at 11.00 am but I am afraid this is too late for me as I would get in to SJPP at 12.30 pm and this may not be enough time to complete the first leg before it gets dark and I dont want to push hard on day 1 and get blisters ( already have a couple from training ! ).

So if any one wants to share or has suggestions to get to SJPP from Pamlona early in the morning on the 11th May please let me know !

And a huge thank you to all the veteran and non-veteran posters on this forum - I have been reading everything from packlists to blisters and all incredibely valuable information.

Kind regards Gordon

Gordon007 said:
Hello all

I am doing my first Camino this week and aim to start from SJPP and walk to Roncevalles on Friday 11th May. I will be meeting a group of friends there on the evening of the 11th May

............... I dont want to push hard on day 1 and get blisters ( already have a couple from training ! ).

Kind regards Gordon

Now Gordon , listen to your uncle RENSHAW ............. Forget SJPP if you already have blisters , that streach to Roncesvalles will be the start of the end for you. Spend an extra day in Pamplona , get the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles and meet up with your friends there .....you will thank me aftrawards. :D

RENSHAW said:
Now Gordon , listen to your uncle RENSHAW ............. Forget SJPP if you already have blisters , that streach to Roncesvalles will be the start of the end for you. Spend an extra day in Pamplona , get the 6pm bus to Roncesvalles and meet up with your friends there .....you will thank me aftrawards.

I agree with the above. Let your feet rest, that is a unforgiving section to try and walk with blisters, you still have around 30 glorious days ahead of you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Uncle Renshaw :)

Thank you for the very kind post. Now I am cognizant of your thoughts exactly. I should mention though my blister is a small one on the top of my little toe which will be securely wrapped in tape prior to setting out.

I plan to decide on Friday morning at 6 am anyway - as if I have a bad flight from Singapore ( often happens with crowded seats on a 12 hour flight ) I will most likely decide to stay and explore Pamplona for a day. But if I am feeling sprightly and the birds are singing and the road beckons........

I am assuming from what I read that most people make it from SJPP to Roncevalles albeit slowly as it is a serious hill and I am sure it will be a challenge no matter what. I walked up a smallish mountain in snow in South Korea ( Jejy Island - 4 hours up ) and had blisters at the end of it but had nothing to treat them with and new badly fitting boots; but at least I made it.

Also I must remember the words of Uncle Ronald Ruel as well :)

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Thanks again Renshaw and buen camino :)

Gordon

Gordon007 said:
I am assuming from what I read that most people make it from SJPP to Roncevalles albeit slowly as it is a serious hill and I am sure it will be a challenge no matter what.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Mike also and I hope I didn't sound glib as it was certainly not intended and appreciate your thoughts also.

So seriously, do many peregrina actually miss the SJPP to Roncevalles route and start in Spain ? I have read of people taking 9 hours to do it or stopping half way. But I am in my 40s and in reasonable shape so it should be ok if I take it easy right ?

Cheers Gordon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gordon007 said:
Thanks Mike also and I hope I didn't sound glib as it was certainly not intended and appreciate your thoughts also.

So seriously, do many peregrina actually miss the SJPP to Roncevalles route and start in Spain ? I have read of people taking 9 hours to do it or stopping half way. But I am in my 40s and in reasonable shape so it should be ok if I take it easy right ?

Cheers Gordon

Gordon,

Wherever you might begin your Camino it is important to start easy. Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that you will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it.

Another most important point is that during the winter including March the weather conditions in the Pyrenees can be extreme. At times the classic CF route Napoleon is closed due to snow and storms; the only route then to use is via Valcarlos and Ibaneta.

Wherever you begin ask the locals about conditions ahead.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Gordon007 said:

Hi Gordon it was not taken as glib, the only way you are going to find out what is right for you is You walking the camino, we just point you in a direction that we hope will be better for you, but then sometimes the hardest days on the camino can be the most meaningful days.

Buen Camino

Mike

Hello guys!

Sorry to bring up the old topic but I ve been having trouble trying to book something from Pamplona to SJPP on march 1st

Altough I used Express Bourricot before on this same journey (pamplona-SJPP), Caroline replyed my e-mail (about 10 days ago) saying that they are still operating, but they dont pick up pilgrims in Pamplona anymore.

I tried their website today (just in case) and it seems that it is down...

I also tried http://www.taxipamplona.com and their "sharing taxi" tool, but there is always an error when I try to make enquiries and bookings.

I know I can still get the 18:00 bus to Roncesvalles, but as it is winter I think that is to late to find taxis or vans in Roncesvalles going to SJPP.

Does anyone know any other Taxi Service that I could contact and , if possible, deal with them online ?

Thanks all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
vlebe ........... At least you should have the option of staying in the new albergue in Roncesvalles. When I was there last a few years ago(6th March) , the traditional 100+ bed Albergue only opened on the 15th March and I slept in the 'Dump' (that is refered to in another thread) with 8 bunk beds and a single toilet and shower for all. - I was greatfull though , arriving at 7pm in the dark by bus only to find the door to the main albergue covered in 3 feet of snow.

vlebe said:
Does anyone know any other Taxi Service that I could contact and , if possible, deal with them online ?
Falcon posted this in another thread a couple of days ago:

Taxi Fermín Ventana
Calle Puente de la Rabia, 7 0
31630 Zubiri, Spain
(0034) 609 447 058

You could take the bus to Zubiri or Roncesvalles and then have the taxi take you the rest of the way to SJPP. I think the bar at La Posada in Roncesvalles will call the taxi for you. And if you take the bus from Pamplona you are sure to find people to share the taxi with you. The only thing that would prevent you from getting to SJPP, I think, is if the road is blocked by snow.
Nancy

nreyn12 said:
.......... And if you take the bus from Pamplona you are sure to find people to share the taxi with you.

on the 2nd of March? Start saying your prayers. :wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you considered walking from Roncesvalles to st.jpdep. It's very easy, you can't get lost, on route de napoleons you meet pilgrims on daily basis walking in reverse, on 2 occasions i did this and the extra day in Pyrenees was the highlight of my camino. You can stay in orisson having walked 20 km and a stroll into sjpdep at dawn, breathtaking, and then on to valcarios, good allergies, another 20 km then another 20 km to roncesvalles, I am starting in stjpdep on 18th April 13. Buen camino

Express Bourricot told by by E-mail March 13 that they no longer provide transport service from Pomplona to SJPP. Does anyone know how else to make the trip? Other provider? Shared taxi?
J Garrett

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just double checking because Google maps says that the bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles in not daily............ Is it daily at 1800 or every other day?

My wife and I (Dot and John) will arrive in Pamplona 9:55am. Is anyone interested in sharing a taxi from there to SJPP??

Bus runs daily from Pamplona to SJPdP and then goes back.

lv PA 1400 arr SJ 1545 20 euro. (including March 2013)

http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules ... ernational

When using the site remember the trip is international Spain to France.

edit ... checking this further ... it looks like its running only around easter then shuts down again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Kyle, There is a shuttle service with a company called Express Burricot that does pilgrim transfers from Pamplona airport to St jean. You might want to look at their site http://www.expressbourricot.com
Ideally you want to find someone to share with as the cost goes down the more they fit in. I am arriving March 23 at Pamplona and hoping to find someone arriving same day to share with. buen camino , allison
Operation begins 14 March

Just FYI - this is an old thread, so timetables and links are probably not up to date.
There are newer threads to consult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back