• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Between Pamplona and Najera

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay in-between any of the stages between Pamplona and Najera. Thanks so much.
:cool: 👣🌻

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. Would you elaborate? I've stayed in both cities before. What would I be looking for if I stayed an extra day/night? What did you do in those places that made it special?
Puente la Reina is simply an ancient town with history. Do a Google search. Logrono for tapas indulgence.

Are you there right now? I think Villatuerta has the Casa Magica which is supposed to be nice. So is the Black Pearl at Azqetta. I have not stayed at either though. I like Vianna. Some history there. We stayed at the Santa Maria which is closed for renovations.

Past Logrono we have stayed in Navarrete and also on our first Camino at Sotes which is on the bike route. The place we stayed there was way up high on the hill and the family owned a vineyard. It is attached to the house and according to the family was used for vineyard workers at different times of the year. I think Ventosa is supposed to be nice.

In Logroño there is a very interesting museum of wine. There is also a wonderful park walk you can do along the river. And then there is Calle Laurel and tapas. In PLR, I'm not sure. Honestly, the BEST place to rest would be IN Pamplona as there is the Museu Navarra, the Cathedral Museum, the city walls, and other things to see. Viana has a lovely church that offers a Pilgrim Mass. Not much in the area you mention, imo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe instead of a rest day, just walk slower and stay at one of the in-between towns? Another things to do past Najera is to maybe take a detour over to Haro to see all the wine houses? It is a small town (smaller than Logrono, but there are something like 10 wine houses there). Good tapas, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you there right now? I think Villatuerta has the Casa Magica which is supposed to be nice. So is the Black Pearl at Azqetta. I have not stayed at either though. I like Vianna. Some history there. We stayed at the Santa Maria which is closed for renovations.

Past Logrono we have stayed in Navarrete and also on our first Camino at Sotes which is on the bike route. The place we stayed there was way up high on the hill and the family owned a vineyard. It is attached to the house and according to the family was used for vineyard workers at different times of the year. I think Ventosa is supposed to be nice.
No, I am not there now. Just planning ahead a little. I looked into the Black Pearl, it has great reviews, definitely a possibility. I was really looking at Viana but since it's now closed for reno, hmmm.

Yes, Navarrete, Sotes or Ventosa all could work out nicely. Thank you. I'll do some more research on these places.

Maybe instead of a rest day, just walk slower and stay at one of the in-between towns? Another things to do past Najera is to maybe take a detour over to Haro to see all the wine houses? It is a small town (smaller than Logrono, but there are something like 10 wine houses there). Good tapas, etc.
Yes, thank you. I also asked about staying in-between the stages instead of a rest day. I won't be going past Najera this Camino but your idea sounds like a great detour. :cool:👣🌻

This is past Nájera, but there's a nice botanical garden in Azofra.

And the albergue there is nice with 2 single beds per room.
Sounds amazing, thank you. However, I won't be going past Najera this Camino. :cool:👣🌻

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Logroño there is a very interesting museum of wine. There is also a wonderful park walk you can do along the river. And then there is Calle Laurel and tapas. In PLR, I'm not sure. Honestly, the BEST place to rest would be IN Pamplona as there is the Museu Navarra, the Cathedral Museum, the city walls, and other things to see. Viana has a lovely church that offers a Pilgrim Mass. Not much in the area you mention, imo.
Yes, Logrono is definitely on my radar for an extra day/night. I've already planned two nights in Pamplona. I agree, not much to occupy one's curiosity in this area but I do need to fill in some time before I reach Najera. I don't need these extra days for rest, they are mostly for exploring, being able to see more than the other two times I've walked (flown) through there. LOL Thanks! :cool:👣🌻

I agree, not much to occupy one's curiosity in this area but I do need to fill in some time before I reach Najera.
Are you by any chance going to be a volunteer in the municipal in Najera? I was going to, but a health issue stopped me. I will be walking, though, starting April 10th from Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you by any chance going to be a volunteer in the municipal in Najera? I was going to, but a health issue stopped me. I will be walking, though, starting April 10th from Pamplona.
Ding, Ding, Ding 🛎️ You cracked the code. 😁 Yes, I will be volunteering there and very excited about it. I have such fond memories from this albergue where I’ve stayed twice but not since the new renovation. I’m sorry you weren’t able to serve. I hope your health issue has been resolved. April is a nice time to start. You’ll love all the green and yellow. Buen Camino!!
😎👣🌻

Ding, Ding, Ding 🛎️ You cracked the code. 😁 Yes, I will be volunteering there and very excited about it. I have such fond memories from this albergue where I’ve stayed twice but not since the new renovation. I’m sorry you weren’t able to serve. I hope your health issue has been resolved. April is a nice time to start. You’ll love all the green and yellow. Buen Camino!!
😎👣🌻
Best wishes from one hospitalera to another! I am on the Najera Hospi WhatsApp group so maybe I will be seeing you then!

Best wishes from one hospitalera to another! I am on the Najera Hospi WhatsApp group so maybe I will be seeing you then!
Thank you. My next step was going to be reaching out to others who have already volunteered to ask for any pointers/tips. Would you mind sending the WhatsApp info to me in a private message? I’d love to join the group. 😎👣🌻

😎👣🌻
Will be dropping by and seeing you then this April :)

I looked into the Black Pearl, it has great reviews, definitely a possibility.

It's one of the special places for sure.. quirky, rustic and full of atmosphere and character. Helena is a wonderful caring host and cook. But there is really nothing else in Azqueta, you might struggle to amuse yourself for two whole days there. Mind you, you could always amble back down to wine tap to amuse yourself!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hope your health issue has been resolved. April is a nice time to start. You’ll love all the green and yellow. Buen Camino!!
😎👣🌻
Unfortunately not, but I am a stubborn old man (70 tomorrow) and will walk until I do not walk any more. I will not die from this; I will with it. Thank you.

For anyone planning the Frances for the future.
I arrived in Puente la Reina on the 28th February 2019 or was it the 1st March??? having completed my first day after walking from Pamplona.
That evening the whole town from the youngest to the eldest in one giant fancy dress festival.
I was told that it was a tradition to celebrate the end of Winter.
A good time was had by all.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's one of the special places for sure.. quirky, rustic and full of atmosphere and character. Helena is a wonderful caring host and cook. But there is really nothing else in Azqueta, you might struggle to amuse yourself for two whole days there. Mind you, you could always amble back down to wine tap to amuse yourself!!
A very nice place, indeed.

Unfortunately not, but I am a stubborn old man (70 tomorrow) and will walk until I do not walk any more. I will not die from this; I will with it. Thank you.
Happy Birthday!! 🥳 All we can do is keep on keepin on. Sometimes in life it pays to be stubborn. God Bless and Buen Camino!
😎👣🌻

Yes, Navarrete, Sotes or Ventosa all could work out nicely. Thank you. I'll do some more research on these places.
in Ventosa my hospitalero took me to a place behind the albergue called La Mieleria where they make their own mead
I tell ya - 2 small shot glasses...thats all it took (and I am not a light hitter)
There is a neat XVI Century Iglesia Parroquial de San Saturnino

Viana - a place where one goes to look for the grave of "The Prince" (Machiavellian that is) himself. Although while quite in plain site is it somewhat easily missed .... ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Mind you, you could always amble back down to wine tap to amuse yourself!!"...and you could go a couple km ahead and climb the hill to Castillo de San Esteban de Deyo; not necessarily in that order😀. But do stay at Helena's albergue, the one place I stay on every CF.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What major city/town is this near? I’d like to look for it in my guidebook.
😎👣🌻
It’s a day’s walk ( or a 20 min drive LOL ) from Najera. The Monastery of Yuso is there—guided tours only. Wonderful. The Monastery of Suso is uphill a ways—the tours didn’t coincide with my schedule so I didn’t see that one. It was a peaceful day off the Camino.

San Millán de la Cogolla is about 20 kms from Nájera. It’s known as the birthplace of the Castilian language and has two monasteries, Suso and Yuso—an ancient one with a Romanesque church and the much bigger 16th (?) monastery. It’s a UNESCO world heritage site. Not sure about transportation there but I think it’d be a nice day to walk there, visit, and then get some form of motorized transport back to Nájera.

San Millán de la Cogolla is about 20 kms from Nájera. It’s known as the birthplace of the Castilian language and has two monasteries, Suso and Yuso—an ancient one with a Romanesque church and the much bigger 16th (?) monastery. It’s a UNESCO world heritage site. Not sure about transportation there but I think it’d be a nice day to walk there, visit, and then get some form of motorized transport back to Nájera.
If only going for one day, be sure to get tour schedules for both monasteries and how to get from one to the other. There seemed to be organized tours because the town cleared out at about 6pm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay in-between any of the stages between Pamplona and Najera. Thanks so much.
The Los Arcos to Logrono stage and the Logrono to Najera stages a long totaling 58 km. You may consider doing it in 3 stages with breaks at Viana and Navarette.

Viana is a nice small town with some nice restaurants and cafes. I stayed at the albergue Alfred Munoz which was quite nice.

The next morning you can stop in Logrono for breakfast as it has some nice bakeries/ cafés.

We stayed three nights in Logrono to play up, we’re getting old
On one day we bused back to Viana and walked in luggage free
We visited Laguardia (visit the old city underground , great tour)
Then we went to the wine festival in Haro
Spectacular display in city squate
Then mate it was a very slow walk to Ventosa where we stayed in a beautiful home .
They had cared for us previously in pouring rain when the albergue full .
( pre booking ahead days )
The early morning walk from Viana back to Logrono was magical in its calmness if that’s the right word ?
The bus driver thought we belonged in an asylum 😁

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
😎👣🌻
It’s Spring where you are and here’s a bit more for your step .
Forget the bus back to Viana and walking in , you’re too close to Najera.
LaGuardia is only a 20 minutes bus ride , go there.
If they drop you off at the bottom bus stop get the elevator to the city gates.
Now 4 S , do something that most of us want but are too regimented to try.
Get to Haro , enjoy this lovely , easy to walk city and then the following day walk to Najera or Santo Domingo.
There are people in the Camino fraternity who have done this when walking the Tunnel Camino from Irun , so it’s documented .
Alex will find it 👍
If it’s attached to the Ebro I envy you.
Good luck seeing if this is possible and if there is a designated path go for it as the walk from Navarrette to Najera is like watching grass grow🤫🤫🤭😂
I would ask in Haro & / or at your designated consignment.
We wish you all the best .

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back