• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike Logistics Via de La Plata

JimH

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Central September 2022
I have cycled Portuguese Caminos three times now and always taken my own bike and start and finish in Lisbon. The Hotel keeps my bike box and suitcase for the three week trip. I am thinking of doing the VdLP from Seville to Santiago. I would like to use my own bike to save money. Does anyone have recent successful experience of any of these options:

1. Getting a company to return bike back to UK from Santiago (Correos no longer offer this service to UK)
  2. Taking an assembled bike on slower trains back to Seville from Santiago
  3. Partially disassembling the bike and taking it on a high speed train wrapped in Polythene
  4. Somehow packing the bike in Santiago and flying back to Seville
  5. One way car hire?
  6. Any other better ideas?
Any advice gratefully received :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
  1. Taking an assembled bike on slower trains back to Seville from Santiago

I had trouble with this a couple of months ago. The Renfe site suggests that Regional Express/Media Distancia trains are OK for assembled bikes but every time I tried to buy a ticket at a ticket office, I was told I couldn't use the trains.

Previously I just purchased an e-ticket and took the bike on. Didn't really have a problem though I did get some comments which I couldn't understand. So would suggest you e-ticket and walk the bike on - if you can find a route Santiago - Seville.

You might check the ALSA/Flixbus routes. There is an ALSA bus that leaves SDC 16:10 and arrives in Seville at 7:00 the next morning. They will take bikes if in a bike bag. I understand they sell disposable ones for about €12

I had trouble with this a couple of months ago. The Renfe site suggests that Regional Express/Media Distancia trains are OK for assembled bikes but every time I tried to buy a ticket at a ticket office, I was told I couldn't use the trains.

Previously I just purchased an e-ticket and took the bike on. Didn't really have a problem though I did get some comments which I couldn't understand. So would suggest you e-ticket and walk the bike on - if you can find a route Santiago - Seville.

You might check the ALSA/Flixbus routes. There is an ALSA bus that leaves SDC 16:10 and arrives in Seville at 7:00 the next morning. They will take bikes if in a bike bag. I understand they sell disposable ones for about €12

Many thanks< I forgot about buses :)

The VDP is the perfect cycling Camino. I've done in twice and used trains on and off, and these would be my suggestions:

1. The Media Distancia trains
take assembled bikes, usually.
But they're infrequent and go
short distances.

2. The others take bikes only if
disassembled. My advice
would be to visit Decathlon
and buy their excellent nylon
bike-bag for 55 euro.

With that you can take any
train (or bus) but only if the
conductor agrees. Even with
a ticket you can be refused
travel is this powerful figure
decides against you.

I'd suggest going to the station early, bagging up the bike, making sure they sell you a ticket for the bike (bicicletta en bolsa), and being ready to plead with RENFE staff in basic Spanish. I've nearly always got on.

The VDP on a bike is an unforgettable journey. Buen Camino ☘️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The VDP is the perfect cycling Camino. I've done in twice and used trains on and off, and these would be my suggestions:

1. The Media Distancia trains
take assembled bikes, usually.
But they're infrequent and go
short distances.

2. The others take bikes only if
disassembled. My advice
would be to visit Decathlon
and buy their excellent nylon
bike-bag for 55 euro.

With that you can take any
train (or bus) but only if the
conductor agrees. Even with
a ticket you can be refused
travel is this powerful figure
decides against you.

I'd suggest going to the station early, bagging up the bike, making sure they sell you a ticket for the bike (bicicletta en bolsa), and being ready to plead with RENFE staff in basic Spanish. I've nearly always got on.

The VDP on a bike is an unforgettable journey. Buen Camino ☘️
Many thanks for the advice. It sounds like a plan. My fall back at the moment is one way car hire, but I will be exhausted from the cycling! I have other friends who are highly recommending the Via

The alternative to lugging a bike around Spain is to hire one. You stated you want to use your own to save money but if you factor in the cost of getting it there and back; the cost of packaging it up; the cost of busing or using trains to get back to a starting point; the extra days/hotel cost in travelling the economics point to hiring.

Spain is well served by hire companies who can deliver to Seville (been there, done that) and then collecting it at SdC (ditto). Leaves you with a simple FIFO decision with more choices about entry/exit to Spain.

Any other country but Spain, I take my own (VFnS in 2024) but with Spain it's simpler to rent.

The way I do it / have done it is Correos the bike to Sevilla then you fly Vueling to SVQ. Correos will often get the bike to its destination in two (working) days - one day in Santiago then a day in Sevilla.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you really want to save you might consider buying a cheap hybrid from Decathlon (the Rockrider range can all handle the VDP on trail and road). Then sell it on Wallapop when you reach Santiago.

The alternative to lugging a bike around Spain is to hire one. You stated you want to use your own to save money but if you factor in the cost of getting it there and back; the cost of packaging it up; the cost of busing or using trains to get back to a starting point; the extra days/hotel cost in travelling the economics point to hiring.

Spain is well served by hire companies who can deliver to Seville (been there, done that) and then collecting it at SdC (ditto). Leaves you with a simple FIFO decision with more choices about entry/exit to Spain.

Any other country but Spain, I take my own (VFnS in 2024) but with Spain it's simpler to rent.
I am lucky that I have a lot of airline miles saved up, so flights and bike on board flight are free. The local bike company gives me a cardboard bike box (free) and I am an Engineer so know how to prep bikes for transport and re-assembly. I looked at the bike hire costs and I put in a relaxed Via timescale 3 weeks just to get an idea on price and it was going to be £500 from "Cycling the Camino". I haven't made my mind up yet. I need an Excel spreadsheet to work out the costed options. Thanks for your suggestion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you really want to save you might consider buying a cheap hybrid from Decathlon (the Rockrider range can all handle the VDP on trail and road). Then sell it on Wallapop when you reach Santiago.
I had a bike in Santiago that I hoped to sell, but I ended up giving it away because I was told so many pilgrims bring bicycles that they want to sell there that there are too many used bikes. Luckily, mine was a used one that I bought in Pamplona and fixed up a bit, so it didn't lose much money.

And I know I made someone very happy I was told by a connection through this board that they really needed one.

My loose plan for next year is to walk the Camino France, and then buy a used bike in Santiago and go on to some other adventures in Spain…

Last edited:
I have cycled Portuguese Caminos three times now and always taken my own bike and start and finish in Lisbon. The Hotel keeps my bike box and suitcase for the three week trip. I am thinking of doing the VdLP from Seville to Santiago. I would like to use my own bike to save money. Does anyone have recent successful experience of any of these options:

1. Getting a company to return bike back to UK from Santiago (Correos no longer offer this service to UK)
  3. Partially disassembling the bike and taking it on a high speed train wrapped in Polythene
  5. One way car hire?
Hello Jim, I cycled the VDLP 3 years ago .Flew from Manchester into Seville with my bike and out of Santiago. The airport in Santiago offer a bike boxing service, it was 18E then.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

5. One way car hire?
May I suggest that you do a live reporting if you do it. I've walked vdlp and would like a comparison. Honestly - there were some long tedious and lonely days, granted it was almost 9 years ago and there's probably many more people on the vdlp now.

Correos just down from the Cathedral will sell you a cardboard bike box. MailBoxes just further down in town will sell you wrapping and tape. Taxi to the airport with your boxed bike etc is less than €30.

Depends if you want speed or to relax on a long bus/train journey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I agree with the comments above. I have just done some sections of the Camino Frances with my own bike. I used the Correos (ie the post office) service to get it sent back to Pamplona. I then got a vueling flight to Bilbao and made my way from there to Pamplona where I waited for my bike to arrive. The correos office was extremely helpful, but I did find it all quite stressful and I agree that considering the additional costs of transport and accommodation , it would make sense to hire a bike next time.

I do the Camino often, being retired, and for three years I've stored my bike in Spain, in storage lockers or with friendly hospitaleros in albergues. I bought the bike in Decathlon, and I also bought the 50 euro bag required for trains other than the short-distance MD.

Can anyone recommend a bike hire company please? I’m thinking through my options!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back