• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

N630 - Cycling The Via De La Plata

MacMax

Ronin Muncher
Time of past OR future Camino
Starting now in June the Via de la Plata from Seville through to Santiago.
Whilst I know it will be the 'Hot' Season in July, I am looking at cycling from Sevilla to Gijón and then onto to Santander (for my flight). I will be on an old Carbon Road Bike, circa 8 kilos, with Gator skin tyres.

Is the N630 as quiet as some reviews suggest and has anyone done it in July and if so what would be some considerations (aside from the obvious one regards heat)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's the N630 you'll be following. It will be hot - very hot - scorchio in Sevilla depending on local conditions - higher up on the meseta it will be cooler but that's relative. The N630 will generally be quiet except perhaps around larger cities where there will be some local traffic. Suggest you take lights and start very early, say 5 or 6:00 and / or ride nights say 20:00 onwards. Ensure you're able to carry sufficient water but there will be regular towns to top-up - electrolyte may be a good thing. Minimal clothes but could be cool in the north so take a thin sweatshirt.

If you haven't already done so maybe post on one of the cycling forums, this is more of a Camino / pilgrim / walking forum.

Look up John Hayes he has ridden the Camino on & off road and written a book published by Cicerone, I think.

There are some journals on CGOAB, just run a search. Richard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the N630 is quiet enough, most traffic will be on the Autovia that runs more or less parallel to it.
It'll be very hot, so it's important to keep hydrated properly.
Stay out of the direct sunlight if you can. I found that being covered from head to toe and keeping the sun off my skin very helpful in staying cool(er). Sunsleeves, gloves, long trousers, facecover, headcover. It looked silly, but I was feeling cooler.

the N630 is quiet enough, most traffic will be on the Autovia that runs more or less parallel to it.
It'll be very hot, so it's important to keep hydrated properly.
Stay out of the direct sunlight if you can. I found that being covered from head to toe and keeping the sun off my skin very helpful in staying cool(er). Sunsleeves, gloves, long trousers, facecover, headcover. It looked silly, but I was feeling cooler.

I think the main points have been raised, I did the route in May and it was 30c+ the N60 is a long straight quiet, well surfaced road, but the sun blazes down on it with no shade. Rest and water stops saved me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It'll be quiet so make sure you have everything you need for repairs. Locals cycle on the wide hard shoulder but despite it being a quiet road, you do get a lot of debris.

Here's a recent pic of route near Grimaldo and one much further north.

Attachments

• Between Grimaldo and Plasencia.JPG
    Between Grimaldo and Plasencia.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Buzzards above road.JPG
    Buzzards above road.JPG
    869.8 KB · Views: 1

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.