A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Biking the Camino

Rita Anne

Camino(s) past & future
i plan to cycle the Camino Frances in April 2017
We will be biking the Camino in April for the first time. I am a little nervous about the route, esp. around O'Cebriero. Anyone who may be able to advise would be greatly appreciated as there are no printed bike routes that we have found.

Juanajoanna

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to bike spring 2017
Hi @RitaAnne,
Do you speak Spanish? There are several good guide books on biking the Camino available on Amazon. You might need to go to Amazon.es to find. Or check out www.bicigrino.com.
Are you planning to ride on roads, or to stay as much as possible on the on the trail?
Where are you starting. You mention O'Cebreiro. I believe that is a section where you want to follow the bike markings and go on the road.
Best wishes.

Rita Anne

Camino(s) past & future
Tbank you so much. We are starting in Pamploma on April 9th or 10th. I haven't been able to find guide books in English, so I will look up the site you recommended. I am an average biker and have time limits, so this is the best way for us to experience the Camino.
Did you find any areas that were particularly challenging that we should spend more time at? We have 19 days

Juanajoanna

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to bike spring 2017
Actually I have not experienced the Camino yet. I will be biking the Via de la Plata route starting April 24. We will join the Frances Route at Astorga, so will go up th dreaded hill to Ocebreiro. I am prepared to push my bike up!
I purchased several bike guidebooks, but all were in Spanish. However the maps should be easily understandable.
Also if you go to www.gronze.com they show maps and elevation profiles for each "traditional" stage. We are biking 2 or 3 of the walking stages each day.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
We will be biking the Camino in April for the first time. I am a little nervous about the route, esp. around O'Cebriero. Anyone who may be able to advise would be greatly appreciated as there are no printed bike routes that we have found.
Rita Anne,

For recent forum posts re biking O Cebreiro see these threads.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/biking-la-faba-and-o-cebreiro.28544/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/o-cebreiro-by-bike-how-tough-is-it.35568/

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Hola @Rita Anne - Having ridden from Pamplona (Sep 2015) I can fully understand your issue with lack of cycle maps/guides. In general the Brierley one has all the background / culture / albergue info you will need/appreciate. The Michelin guide I found the most useful as it has road/route numbers so you have a better understanding of which road you are ridding on. The is a really good one (but its only in French) that tells you which sections of the Camino trail you can ride and which sections to avoid. (If you search back through this section of the forum you will see some useful posts from newfydog - and maybe some of mine - that comment of sections to avoid. The section around O'Cebriero is well served by a seal road, just west of the village of Herrerias you will see a marker indicating walking pilgrims to the left and cycling pilgrims to the right. It is steep in places but you should have your cycling legs by the time you reach it. Cheers & Buen Camino.

Rita Anne

Camino(s) past & future
Actually I have not experienced the Camino yet. I will be biking the Via de la Plata route starting April 24. We will join the Frances Route at Astorga, so will go up th dreaded hill to Ocebreiro. I am prepared to push my bike up!
I purchased several bike guidebooks, but all were in Spanish. However the maps should be easily understandable.
Also if you go to www.gronze.com they show maps and elevation profiles for each "traditional" stage. We are biking 2 or 3 of the walking stages each day.
Thank you JuanaJoanna. We will also be at O'Cebriero around April 24th if all goes as planned. I have loomed at your references and fid them to be very helpful. Maybe we will see you there!

Rita Anne

Camino(s) past & future
Hola @Rita Anne - Having ridden from Pamplona (Sep 2015) I can fully understand your issue with lack of cycle maps/guides. In general the Brierley one has all the background / culture / albergue info you will need/appreciate. The Michelin guide I found the most useful as it has road/route numbers so you have a better understanding of which road you are ridding on. The is a really good one (but its only in French) that tells you which sections of the Camino trail you can ride and which sections to avoid. (If you search back through this section of the forum you will see some useful posts from newfydog - and maybe some of mine - that comment of sections to avoid. The section around O'Cebriero is well served by a seal road, just west of the village of Herrerias you will see a marker indicating walking pilgrims to the left and cycling pilgrims to the right. It is steep in places but you should have your cycling legs by the time you reach it. Cheers & Buen Camino.
Thank you Saint Mike. I will look up the previous posts on the forum. I will take all the advice I can get.

pilgrimglenn7

Camino(s) past & future
st james way and portugese
thanks mate :) much appreciative :)

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 237 24.9%