• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bikini or not bikini, right now, Frances route

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedthesea

Time of past OR future Camino
April 7 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm deciding last minute whether I should bring my bikini or not to Camino Frances, in SJPP (shipping some of my stuff to Santiago). Did my research but couldn't find too much for the Frances route in April. Could someone advise? TIA!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, so I’ll cease the flippancy and answer with a bit more seriousness.

Are you planning on staying in higher cost, private accommodation? A few here and there may have a pool. If you’re planning on staying in municipal albergues, no, no frills like pools (personally I’m just thankful for hot showers). I can think of three private albergues that have pools: the 1 in Boudilla, but its small and perhaps more for cooling down legs and feet; and 2 in Belorado. There may be more but those are the only ones I know. And that’s if they have all opened their pools, because it’s only early April, and those 3 have probably only just reopened for the 2024 season.

Are you planning on walking to Fisterra or Muxia ie the coast?

Are you hoping to do some wild swimming?

Crucially, what’s your tolerance for very cold water?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1712508584575.png
I‘m just in Viana, 6th day on the Frances without any rain. Mornings are chilly, afternoons can climb up over 20 degrees.
This is the weather prediction around here. In two Locations were Pools advertised, but I doubt that they are operated.

No need for a bikini, I’d say!

Ok, so I’ll cease the flippancy and answer with a bit more seriousness.

Are you planning on staying in higher cost, private accommodation? A few here and there may have a pool. If you’re planning on staying in municipal albergues, no, no frills like pools (personally I’m just thankful for hot showers). I can think of three private albergues that have pools: the 1 in Boudilla, but its small and perhaps more for cooling down legs and feet; and 2 in Belorado. There may be more but those are the only ones I know. And that’s if they have all opened their pools, because it’s only early April, and those 3 have probably only just reopened for the 2024 season.

Are you planning on walking to Fisterra or Muxia ie the coast?

Are you hoping to do some wild swimming?

Crucially, what’s your tolerance for very cold water?
Ah, okay. This helped me to put things ij perspective and I decided to ditch them. Thank you (and the other funny jokes lol)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
In September and May, I've had 2 weeks on the Frances and always found at least one place with an open pool, outdoors (and always at least one pool closed for no particular reason). Chilly in May, but I would have been sad if I didn't have shorts for swimming. In April, many places may not be open, but it'd be a shame to find one and not be able to enjoy it. Also, if you are doing the whole route from SJPDP, you will, if you want, find some places with an indoor heated pool.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aprapo of nothing I do note that the wuzzes like to wait for warmer weather. As ani gud paygun nose the proper rhyme is “Hooray, hooray, the first of May, outdoor sex begins today”. Often, inappropriately, attributed to Larkin which scholars will know is incorrect because librarians do it in stacks

A bikini is i would think 🤔 very lightweight ?? and takes no space. Leave it in ..
"We can certainly hope so!" Is the answer with my Benny Hill hat on...

What I actually meant to add, was that this year I'm swapping actual swimming shorts for an extra pair of synthetic hiking shorts, which are compact and lightweight (steady...) and will dry at least as quickly. Dual use tops are also a good idea for the camino, I think.

Ah, okay. This helped me to put things ij perspective and I decided to ditch them. Thank you (and the other funny jokes lol)
There are swimming pools in Redecilla, Cizur Menor and Hontanas… also a small one in the albergue in Boadilla and a (very) small one in torres del Rio (albergue la Pata y Oca) but not big enough to swim. Also a nice one in Puente la Reina (albergue Santiago Apostol)….

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.