• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Bayonne

manx

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Hi everyone, I arrive at Bilbao airport from UK at around 6.25pm on 2nd October and had hoped to make it up to Bayonne the same night, but I'm struggling to find options that work.

Plan was to overnight in Bayonne and get a morning train to SJPP for an early start.

Only thing I've found so far is a bus that leaves Bilbao airport at quarter to the hour up til 23:45 and gets to Donostia/San Sebastian in about 75 mins (gets me 3/4 way there) - figured I'd probably miss the 18:45 by the time I get out of the airport though.

I was hoping that some local or previous knowledge might throw up some ideas.

Any suggestions ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks like you might have to stay over in San Sebastian or there is a really late Flix bus at 11:40 p.m. from San Sebastion bus station to Bayonne which arrives like at 1 a.m. the following day. Several Flix buses earlier in the day from San Sebastion to Bayonne so you could stay overnight and then catch the bus to Bayonne and then the train to SJPDP the following day (if that is where you are planning to start your Camino). I did a search on Trainline from San Sebastion to Bayonne and there are also BlaBla car options if you want to look at that.

Hi @manx

If you can get yourself to either San Sebastian or Irun on your night of arrival, you can take the Euskotren to Hendaye early the next morning. (ALSA bus from Bilbao to SS)?

The main station in San Sebastian is Donostia Amara. The Euskotren to Hendaye runs from 6.15am and takes approx 33 mins to Irun and a further 4 mins to Hendaye. So, if you manage to get to Irun on the night of your arrival you will be 4 mins from Hendaye on the Euskotren. But even from SS it's only around 37 mins.

In Hendaye, the Euskotren station and SNCF stations are next door to each other. From Hendaye ,it's a short train ride to Bayonne to take the train to SJPP. For example, on Trainline for 3 October, I see trains at 7.08am and 7.27am and 8.10am from Hendaye, arriving in Bayonne around 37 minutes later.

We were in the area in the past week - we took the Euskotren from SS to Hendaye and found it to be as efficient as always.

All the best

PS. Here’s a link

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@J Willhaus @Pelerina @InBiarritz

Thank you for the suggestions, I think my plan will be to get to SS by bus, then onto Irun for an overnight stay if I can.

BUT.... I've also started looking at Blablacar (not heard of it previously) for a ride all the way to Bayonne. Apparently there's sometimes more rides available closer to the date of travel.

@J Willhaus @Pelerina @InBiarritz

Thank you for the suggestions, I think my plan will be to get to SS by bus, then onto Irun for an overnight stay if I can.

BUT.... I've also started looking at Blablacar (not heard of it previously) for a ride all the way to Bayonne. Apparently there's sometimes more rides available closer to the date of travel.
Just wondered what ended up doing — heading Bilbao-SS-Bayonne soon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back