• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to SJPDP?

ChristopherC

Time of past OR future Camino
August 25
Greetings,
I am Chris from Alaska. I am headed to start my Camino late in August. I will arrive Bilbao on August 23rd and then need to get to SJPDP on August 25th. Does anyone have recommendations on a bus or train route? I have heard Bilbao-Pamplona-SJPDP or Bilbao-Bayonne-SJPDP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bus from Bilbao airport to the city centre. Local Euskotren to Hendaye (changing trains in San Sebastian). SNCF trains from Hendaye to Bayonne then Bayonne to SJPDP.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another option is Cuadrabus from Bilbao to Pamplona, then separate bus from Pamplona or cab to SJPdP. No doubt another forum member can give advice on which may be quicker.

Christopher, please let me know how your journey from Bilbao to SJPP goes. I will be doing the same path on September 19.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In September 2015 I went from Bilbao to Pamplona by bus, which think it was Autobus La Union, I bought the ticket at the bus station.
Two hours to Pamplona, arriving around 3pm, where I put my backpack in a locker and walked into the city (it’s only a few hundred metres) for a glass of wine and some pintxos.
Then back to the bus station to board the (5.30?) bus to SJPdP.
All very easy. I hope the buses are the same for you .

Bus from Bilbao airport to the city centre. Local Euskotren to Hendaye (changing trains in San Sebastian). SNCF trains from Hendaye to Bayonne then Bayonne to SJPDP.
Yes Chris let us know what you find out. I’ll be arriving in Biarritz on Sept.6th & need to travel to SJPDP. By bus or train.
Thanks Chuck

In September 2015 I went from Bilbao to Pamplona by bus, which think it was Autobus La Union, I bought the ticket at the bus station.
Two hours to Pamplona, arriving around 3pm, where I put my backpack in a locker and walked into the city (it’s only a few hundred metres) for a glass of wine and some pintxos.
Then back to the bus station to board the (5.30?) bus to SJPdP.
All very easy. I hope the buses are the same for you .
Thank you
Yes Chris let us know what you find out. I’ll be arriving in Biarritz on Sept.6th & need to travel to SJPDP. By bus or train.
Thanks Chuck
Will do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Worth bearing in mind that there is only one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPDP. You have to be in Pamplona by noon or wait until the next day. Travel via Bayonne is possible later in the day.

Greetings,
I am Chris from Alaska. I am headed to start my Camino late in August. I will arrive Bilbao on August 23rd and then need to get to SJPDP on August 25th. Does anyone have recommendations on a bus or train route? I have heard Bilbao-Pamplona-SJPDP or Bilbao-Bayonne-SJPDP.
Check Rome to Rio. Gary from Haines.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since I opened this question, I will provide an update. I arrive in Bilbao on the evening of Monday, September 18th. (this due to a strange flying arrangement funded by credit card reward points, with initial flight from Austin to Frankfurt, then down to Bilbao.) This week I booked bus and train tickets for my journey from Bilbao down to SJPP. Below is the best connection, but an early start, to get to SJPP with time to explore a bit.

Flix Bus - 0650 Bilbao to Bayonne, arriving at 0910 (about three hours)
SNCF Train -12:35 PM Bayonne to SJPP, Arriving at 13:40 (just over an hour)
The combined tickets cost about $25 US a great value for travel. The side benefit, the bus/train ride will allow me to see the countryside.

My only regret is that I will have little time to enjoy Bilbao. Friends in my 'over-the-hill' local men's coffee group here in Seguin, Texas, shared with me what a wonderful city Bilbao is, especially the Gugenhiem Museum. So poor planning on my part. I was concentrating on getting a bed in SJPP, Orrison, then Burguete the first few nights on the Camino, and at this point do not want to risk those reservations. After Burguete for the remainder of my walk to Santiago then on to 'the end of the earth', I plan just to 'wing it' for hostels/hotels. That will allow me to fully enjoy the 49 days I have available to do my pilgirmage.

In Bilbao I did change my hostel to Pil Pil Hostel Bilbao, which is located about three blocks north of the bus station.

The couple of hours in Bayonne will allow time for lunch and getting from bus station to train station. The arrival time in SJPP allows me time to find my hostel and enjoy the town a bit.

As usual, thanks to all of the pilgrims before me, your sharing information is invaluable. I will follow-up as I actually travel to share my experience.
...Ken

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Hello! My name is Molly. I have been wanting to do the camino for YEARS and finally have exactly a one month window later this month, from May 21st to June 21st. I am writing here to see if any of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back