• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat times vilanova to pontecesures

GJIANU

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues Coastal Route 2016
hi
Does anyone know how many boats there are per day and when? Do you need to book ahead and how do you do it? We are going in July.
Also, we are planning to walk from Combarro to Ribadumia via Armenteira monastery and get a bus or taxi to a hotel in Cambados. Is this possible or would the walk be too long?
many thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was there this past August, there was one boat a day and the time depended on the tides. The boat ride could be booked through Alberto at the albergue in Vilanova de Arousa - Phone #0034616701798. It's advisable to book a couple of days ahead. Alberto also provided transportation to the boat. When we arrived at around 3:30pm, he was just taking a group of pilgrims to the boat. The boat was full that day and unfortunately it was to be docked for repairs the next day.

The walk from Armenteira to Vilanova is 24 km. Cambados is 6 km from Vilanova. You should be able to get a taxi in Armenteira.

Last edited:
Thank you, very kind of you to reply. So is there just one boat per day? I'm just a bit worried about getting stuck there because I'm trying to book all the accommodation for the trip now. If the boat doesn't come, is there another way of getting to Pontecesures apart from walking (ie.bus, taxi)?

Also, how long do you think it takes to walk from Combarro to Ribadumia?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, in August there was one boat a day. If you are staying in Vilanova de Arousa, you can take a taxi to either Cambados (6km) or to Vilagarcia de Arousa (10km) for Monbus bus service to Pontecesures. There is also Renfe train service from Vilagarcia to both Pontecesures / Padron. If you google either Monobus or Renfe, you can access schedules through their sites.

Walking distance Combarro to Ribadumia is about 17 km.

Fantastic, that's really helpful. So you think that it is possible to walk from Combarro to Ribadumia in one day without too many problems? I keep reading that it's quite a tough walk from Combarro to Armenteira. Thanks again

Fantastic, that's really helpful. So you think that it is possible to walk from Combarro to Ribadumia in one day without too many problems? I keep reading that it's quite a tough walk from Combarro to Armenteira. Thanks again
Combarro to Ribadumia indeed is a tough walk, climbing a mountain.
From Combarro goes a bus to Armenteira.
Ask at your hotel for the timeschedule. It only goes a few times a day . the local Tourist info could not help out but the owner of the hotel found a timeschedule in a local paper.
The bus arrived around midday.People on the bus told us to get out of the bus at the next stop and then take a small bus that arrived directly after we got out and went to the monastery in Armenteira . There starts the best part of this walk, the 6 km long ruta de auga e pedra, the route of the water and the stones , a beautiful walk along a river and medieval watermills .at the end of this path is a good hotel in Barantes. You can't miss it. The lady owner calls Alberto for you to reserve the boat..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The walk from Combarro to Armenteira is beautiful and tough. You will need to take your time as it is mostly a climb starting with some very steep km's out of Combarro. I walked from Pontrevedra to Armenteira and was pretty worn out at the end of the day, mostly due to the final stretch from Combarro. To really enjoy and savour one of the most beautiful walks of any camino; the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua (between Armenteira and Ribadumia), you may want to split up the stages and start fresh from Armenteira with this stretch in the morning.

Another thing to note: there were no services between Combarro and Armenteira. Important to top up your water and buy food in Combarro.

I'm very enthusiastic about this special route and I hope to walk it again.

Thank you to everyone, again. I was hoping to break up the route in Armenteira, but I am struggling to find accommodation I can book ahead. I am organising this trip for 5 of us, including a child, and I'm a bit worried about us getting stranded there with nowhere to stay. I can see that there is an albergue, but can you book this ahead? It says that it only has spaces for 25 pilgrims. What did other people do for accommodation on this stretch?
Also, does anyone know of a good map for this route? Does it show on Google maps?
Sorry to keep pestering everyone!

The walk from Combarro to Armenteira is beautiful and tough. You will need to take your time as it is mostly a climb starting with some very steep km's out of Combarro. I walked from Pontrevedra to Armenteira and was pretty worn out at the end of the day, mostly due to the final stretch from Combarro. To really enjoy and savour one of the most beautiful walks of any camino; the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua (between Armenteira and Ribadumia), you may want to split up the stages and start fresh from Armenteira with this stretch in the morning.

Another thing to note: there were no services between Combarro and Armenteira. Important to top up your water and buy food in Combarro.

I'm very enthusiastic about this special route and I hope to walk it again.
There is a regular daily busservice from Pontevedra which hits Combarro .at the busstop in Combarro on the ruta nacional it stops. Next stop is about 2 kms. There is a meetingpoint for several smaller buses. They go into the mountains and one of them connects Combarro with Armenteira.The minibus stops in front of the convent.
There you inmediately can start the ruta da auga e pedra till Barantes and evntually on to Vila Nova de Arousa for the boatconnection.
Here the link to the hotel os Castaños in Barrantes (Ribadumia) at the end of the ruta da auga e pedra
http://www.xn--oscastaos-r6a.es/

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you to everyone, again. I was hoping to break up the route in Armenteira, but I am struggling to find accommodation I can book ahead. I am organising this trip for 5 of us, including a child, and I'm a bit worried about us getting stranded there with nowhere to stay. I can see that there is an albergue, but can you book this ahead? It says that it only has spaces for 25 pilgrims. What did other people do for accommodation on this stretch?
Also, does anyone know of a good map for this route? Does it show on Google maps?
Sorry to keep pestering everyone!
In Armenteira is an albergue close by the convent but we decided to walk on for 6 kms and stay at hotel Castaños in Barrantes. A nice place, a kind lady who phoned the skipper of the boat to reserve. They can transport 6 pilgrims and their backpacks so reservation is advised. They sail once a day due to the tide. We sailed at 12h00 midday but I heard stories of people who sailed at 16h00.
So better be prepared on beforehand.
From Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa is about 15 kms.

See earlier posts of mine on this subforum

Last edited:
The walk from Combarro ( a most interesting village) to Armenteira is very tough! At least it was for us, walking in intense heat. It's a hard climb, which at least gives you some stunning views. There is no place to get fresh water. You must take both water and something to eat with you. We stayed at the Albergue in Armentiera.
We were all pretty well shattered, by the time we arrived in Armentiera, but I put part of that to the excessive heat (35 deg. Plus). The next morning, the walk down along the river, going from one water mill to another ( el Camino de la Pedra y del Agua) was absolutely beautiful and almost magical.
The boat, in our case was one for 8 people, leaves according to the tide. We left at 8 am, so were fortunate. We stayed in the Albergue in Vilanova de Arousa, where we booked and paid for our places on the boat for the next morning.

The walk from Combarro ( a most interesting village) to Armenteira is very tough! At least it was for us, walking in intense heat. It's a hard climb, which at least gives you some stunning views. There is no place to get fresh water. You must take both water and something to eat with you. We stayed at the Albergue in Armentiera.
We were all pretty well shattered, by the time we arrived in Armentiera, but I put part of that to the excessive heat (35 deg. Plus). The next morning, the walk down along the river, going from one water mill to another ( el Camino de la Pedra y del Agua) was absolutely beautiful and almost magical.
The boat, in our case was one for 8 people, leaves according to the tide. We left at 8 am, so were fortunate. We stayed in the Albergue in Vilanova de Arousa, where we booked and paid for our places on the boat for the next morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, it's extremely useful. So far I have booked hotels for our pilgrimage, because I like to feel secure that we'll have somewhere to stay. How does it work with the albergues? Can you book ahead or might you run the risk that you'll be turned away if they are full?

You can usually book private albergues. Municipal and parish albergues generally can not be booked. Thus for those it is first come first to get a bunk.

We normally don't book ahead. We did call to the Albergue in Arousa, as we were getting fed up with the heat and considered to take a break in the afternoon, hoping that the weather got cooler. No such luck! There was plenty of space in the Albergue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back