• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking accommodation

Traveller77

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/sept 2017
Hi I will arrive in Leon in 16 days I have my first night booked. After that nothing untill I get to Santiago as I would like to just stop when I have walked enough it will be my first time walking this way. I always book ahead so I am a little concerned about getting a bed for the night. From what I have read I think I will be ok in the alburgues but if I want to stay occasionally in a hotel do I need to book and how far in advance. Thanks for any info.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used the odd hotel on my journey and never had to book, just found one with space, having said that things are always a changing.
If you're unsure then book a day or two in advance.

Hotels in places like Portomarin may be fully booked. Check a site like booking.com now, and see what is available along your route. Albergues often do not take reservations, so if you walk lake into the afternoon, you may find them/some full.

Buen camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In both my caminos, booking hotels the day before was enough. I usually used Booking.com or Agoda.com to find places with free cancelation, in case I decided to walk more os less along the day.

I started in Leon and now in Ventas de Narón
Booking.com has been great for me. The lone exception was yesterday in Portomarin ( like Falcón mentions )
I had to call a friend of mine here in Spain & his wife found me a room. I was getting nervous as I had already walked 35km

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thankyou all for your comments that's my last uncertainty sorted .

Great, don't worry that once you get there new ones will appear (and get sorted too)! It will be awesome, buen camino!

Hi I will arrive in Leon in 16 days I have my first night booked. After that nothing untill I get to Santiago as I would like to just stop when I have walked enough it will be my first time walking this way. I always book ahead so I am a little concerned about getting a bed for the night. From what I have read I think I will be ok in the alburgues but if I want to stay occasionally in a hotel do I need to book and how far in advance. Thanks for any info.
Use booking.com, gronze, and TripAdvisor to find hotels or casa rurales, then call (or email) the hotel directly and make your reservation, otherwise you'll pay more (something like 12%) by using any of the booking sites. I usually booked one to three nights ahead whenever I had a strong idea I'd make the distance. That was back in March when there was plenty of room though, so take that into consideration.

I usually just book while walking (same day) if accomondation seems tight or if I plan to walk late into the day.
Otherwise I just turn up and look for a place.
Most paper and on-line guides give accomondation choices with phone numbers..or use booking.com.

I really try to avoid making decisions of stopping points days in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year Leon-Santiago, even with reservations Albergues wanted a conformation by 4pm since so many pilgrims make reservations then are no shows. Advice to those walking late in day. At one they wanted me to pay for my 4 companions who were on same reservation but intending to come in closer to 6pm.

Generally a day in advance. Use booking.com. For me after a few days on the Camino I preferred to book a day ahead as it gave me peace of mind. Once I reached my destination, in the beginning , it irritated me to have to walk around after a long day to look for accommodation . But it depends when you are walking, during the time I walked it got quite busy. On a rainy day, I met ppl who ended up walking 55 km because everything was booked out, but this is not the norm. Besides, after a few days you will find your rhythm and figure out the distance you are most comfortable walking.

On last year's Leon-Santiago in June, nearly every albergue was 'completo' before 4pm. Being a slow walker with a tendency to arrive 4-5pm at best, we made (same day or prior day) reservations everywhere after La Virgin which was only a 7.3km first day walk from Leon so was there by lunchtime. About 5 waiting ahead of us BTW.

Go and buy Miam Miam Do Do when in Leon.
No further explanation required for a 40 year old;)
Good guess?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back