• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French train booking sites

Vivi & Mirry

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2019)
Hi, l'm seeking recommendations regarding booking train tickets in France as to which site is the best. I'll be travelling mid May via Lyon then LePuy. Also has anyone used the Compostela Bus operating between Le/P and Conques. Many thanks for advice as l'm travelling solo from Australia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use the app called Trainline for booking trains in Europe. A month ago I used it to book Paris to Le Puy for a late May start on the Camino.

I use the app called Trainline for booking trains in Europe. A month ago I used it to book Paris to Le Puy for a late May start on the Camino.
That's a great site, thanks for that.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've used the Compostel'bus several times for skipping shorter sections. Just waited at the bus stop for it. But then you'll have no guarantee to get a spot (it is a tiny bus with few spots). I can imagine that especially in may (main season!) it might be booked out.

So if you want to use it for returning to Le Puy, I'd definitely recommend to make a reservation.

Bon chemin!

A great site for train journeys in Europe is seat61.com. it has excellent information and tells you the best way to book tickets for specific journeys, whether Trainline, national operator or others.

Hi, l'm seeking recommendations regarding booking train tickets in France as to which site is the best. I'll be travelling mid May via Lyon then LePuy. Also has anyone used the Compostela Bus operating between Le/P and Conques. Many thanks for advice as l'm travelling solo from Australia.
Hi,
Give this Website a try. It’s full of use information

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I booked my train from Paris to Irun (start of the Norte) directly with SNCF (the French train operator) via their on line web site. It allowed me to choose my seat (trainline also do that, certainly for UK trains) and I got a discount for being over 60. They do offer other discounts, you would have to check to see if you are eligible. Many of the third party web sites charge a small booking fee.

Also, they are good with cancellations. Last year I had to cancel a booking from Thionville to Paris with less than 2 weeks notice and I got a full refund for the cost of the ticket.

I used the SNCF app. In 2019 1nd 2021, it was called OUISNCF. Now it seems to be called SNCF Connect.

Hi @Vivi & Mirry we spend a lot of time in France and often book trains. I have used both SNCF Connect and Trainline many times. But these days I prefer Trainline. The app is very user friendly. If booking from Australia, I always use Trainline rather than SNCF connect. I just find it easier to use. Bon voyage et bon chemin 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi from NZ
I have just recently booked a French train - TGV - Paris > Bayonne

I have used the website sncf-connect.com - used previously + very pleased with it - you can download (+ print off, if needed) your ticket for the journey

Bonne chance

Stephen
NZ

A great site for train journeys in Europe is seat61.com. it has excellent information and tells you the best way to book tickets for specific journeys, whether Trainline, national operator or others.
at first glance and one try, it looks like this site only shows direct connections and not also transfer connections (like Trainline)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back