• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bourg Saint Pierre to The Grand Saint Bernard Pass

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Yesterday morning I left Bourg Saint Pierre under cold, cloudy and windy skies.
I told myself to take this 7 mile (12km) day step by step knowing it was a severe uphill day with some of it in the snow.
The initial road walking part was uneventful, with minimal cars passing by.
I then got onto the marked trail and began the slow steep uphill grind. The trail was fairly well marked until I reached the snowfields, where it became nonexistent.
I began using the VF app which provided me some basic directions. I then started passing tall orange poles planted in the ground about 200 meters apart, which eventually lead me to the road just before the pass.
This much altitude gain in this short distance is not for the faint of heart.
I stayed at the Hospice, which for being so old has been updated and is beautiful.
I attended the evening mass in the hospice church, the morning prayer service and the communal meals. I recommend all of them.

Attachments

• 20230612_092923.jpg
    20230612_092923.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,250
  • 20230612_115658.jpg
    20230612_115658.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230612_091948.jpg
    20230612_091948.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230612_105000.jpg
    20230612_105000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230612_105858.jpg
    20230612_105858.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for that info. Buon Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been following your posts with interest! It seems like you are right on schedule!
Excellent planning. :)
Thanks for writing every day. Hope everything continues to go well for you!

Yesterday morning I left Bourg Saint Pierre under cold, cloudy and windy skies.
I told myself to take this 7 mile (12km) day step by step knowing it was a severe uphill day with some of it in the snow.
The initial road walking part was uneventful, with minimal cars passing by.
I then got onto the marked trail and began the slow steep uphill grind. The trail was fairly well marked until I reached the snowfields, where it became nonexistent.
I began using the VF app which provided me some basic directions. I then started passing tall orange poles planted in the ground about 200 meters apart, which eventually lead me to the road just before the pass.
This much altitude gain in this short distance is not for the faint of heart.
I stayed at the Hospice, which for being so old has been updated and is beautiful.
I attended the evening mass in the hospice church, the morning prayer service and the communal meals. I recommend all of them.
Again, thank you Bob. It is on my list. Q. Any breathing difficulties at this elevation ? We're you solo all the way?

Thank you for the posts, inspiring. Would you recommend this time of year to walk the Via Francigena. Also, I would be interested in your opinion on doing this way all in one go.?? Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
🎉 Congratulations @Bob from L.A. ! ...a VF milestone, a major accomplishment & a box ticked ✅...all in one day!
Great to see pics (incl finally being able to put a face to your name 🤗) of a destination I didn't manage to reach due to time of year (start of May)...a point I knew when I planned so it wasn't a 'must' for me.
Doing well. 👍
👣 🌏

@james - Yes, solo the entire. Saw absolutely no one all day. As far as breathing it is quite subjective to each person. I didn't really feel short of breath due to the altitude, but more fatigued due to trudging through the snowfields of varying depths (at times).
Sometimes "postholing".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Goldie - I worked on this itinerary for almost a year, trying to line up all the correct dates, times and places.
As an American we are bracketed by the 90 day issue. Due to unpredictable weather patterns we are at the hands of the "weather gods". Due to trying to go over the pass and hoping the pass is free of snow and roads cleared, there are a multitude of things to consider when sitting down to plot this course and itinerary.
I can't take full credit for planning. I had the help of Taz on this forum and several other members who were "beyond" helpful.
So far, I believe my start date of May 4, 2023 was in line with optimal planning.
To answer the other question, for me I welcomed the challenge of doing it all in one go.
Europe is a long way from home and I'll admit to you and the other 50,000 forum members. I'm not getting any younger!!!!! (LOL!)

@Goldie - I worked on this itinerary for almost a year, trying to line up all the correct dates, times and places.
As an American we are bracketed by the 90 day issue. Due to unpredictable weather patterns we are at the hands of the "weather gods". Due to trying to go over the pass and hoping the pass is free of snow and roads cleared, there are a multitude of things to consider when sitting down to plot this course and itinerary.
I can't take full credit for planning. I had the help of Taz on this forum and several other members who were "beyond" helpful.
So far, I believe my start date of May 4, 2023 was in line with optimal planning.
To answer the other question, for me I welcomed the challenge of doing it all in one go.
Europe is a long way from home and I'll admit to you and the other 50,000 forum members. I'm not getting any younger!!!!! (LOL!)
Well so far, your planning seems to have been spot on! ;)
Looking forward to following you on here , all the way to Rome. Many more special places to come.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@james - Yes, solo the entire. Saw absolutely no one all day. As far as breathing it is quite subjective to each person. I didn't really feel short of breath due to the altitude, but more fatigued due to trudging through the snowfields of varying depths (at times).
Sometimes "postholing".
Thanks Bob. We don't have climbs to that altitude in Ireland. Great to receive your response which I appreciate. Best wishes for your journey. Looking forward to future posts. Buen Camino 😉

@goldie from aus, Bob will be (& already is) a wealth of current info but we all have to start somewhere. I'd be happy to send my detailed itinerary to you too (or anyone) to give you an idea...experience is for sharing!
Just PM me if you're interested.
Happy planning...& stay tuned for Bob's updates; I know what awaits & look forward to his observations (& pics) of it! 🤗
👣🌏

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Same here. I have a 38 page itinerary I can share if anyone needs to use it as their template for planning.
Note: Send me a PM AFTER August 1, 2023.
Ahhh Bob... what a laugh 😆. I've just realised as we're from different continents/hemispheres, you would have had to convert 93 days of distances on my itinerary from kilometres to miles! 🤦‍♀️🥴 🤯 Dedication to the cause... 😉
👣🌏

Bob, as you know, I have walked the section of the Via Francigena last fall from Lucca to Rome, and your itinerary/notes you shared with me was very helpful in my planning.
That said, when you mention 38 pages of notes beginning on Canterbury, I know my limitations and am very content with what I have already done. I like adventure, but I am not an adventurer! I am in the middle of reading the book "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer, and when you mentioned the word "icefields", I thought...no way!😱
Be careful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am in the middle of reading the book "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer, and when you mentioned the word "icefields", I thought...no way!😱
Be careful!
Very informative and eye-opening book.
Riveting book..you feel the cold & break out into a sweat at the same time.
Really interesting how the movie about the same disastrous event, 'Everest' (released 2015) sought to address/rebuff Jon Krakauer's version of what happened...& you only know on what points by having read JK's book.... 🤔
👣🌏

Riveting book..you feel the cold & break out into a sweat at the same time.
Really interesting how the movie about the same disastrous event, 'Everest' (released 2015) sought to address/rebuff Jon Krakauer's version of what happened...& you only know on what points by having read JK's book.... 🤔
👣🌏
Not sure I've seen the movie, but whatever actually happened, we know the outcome was grim.😐

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.