• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grand Saint Bernard Pass to Etrouble

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Left the hospice this morning with heavy wind and hail stones falling.
Took the trail on the Italian side of the mountain and after dropping about a 1000 feet in elevation the hail finally stopped, but the rain continued.
Another 1000 foot drop the rain stopped, but the cold prevailed.
The entire day was steep downhill trails through beautiful forest lands and heavy flow waterfalls.
Several times I had to stop to relax the "thigh burn" from all the downhill pounding.
About 4.5 hours later I made it to my destination of Etrouble.
(I highly recommend when leaving the hospice that you take the trail route NOT the road route). The trail is very well marked whereas the road will add about an extra hour onto your decent time.

Attachments

• 20230613_090343.jpg
    20230613_090343.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,109
  • 20230613_103124.jpg
    20230613_103124.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230613_093257.jpg
    20230613_093257.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230613_133349.jpg
    20230613_133349.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230613_123726.jpg
    20230613_123726.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can now start to enjoy the walk as you go through Italy.

Aosta is an interesting old town with a few Roman ruins in the middle. You'll also will be going downhill as you travel along the Aosta valley towards Bard / Ivrea but the gradient will not be noticeable.

The entire day was steep downhill trails through beautiful forest lands and heavy flow waterfalls.
Several times I had to stop to relax the "thigh burn" from all the downhill pounding.
Hi Bob, You mentioned thigh burn but nothing about your knees; how did they hold up? Or don't you have any issues there? If not, lucky you!
Enjoy the Aosta Valley...I loved, loved, loved it! 🤗
👣🌏

Hi Kaz- I have been wearing knee sleeves for the entire trip and have been pain free in the knees. (Ibuprofen also occasionally too).
This morning I woke up and my thighs were screaming 😱 at me though.
Thankfully today is a scheduled rest day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kaz- I have been wearing knee sleeves for the entire trip and have been pain free in the knees. (Ibuprofen also occasionally too).
This morning I woke up and my thighs were screaming 😱 at me though.
Thankfully today is a scheduled rest day.
Enjoy...& give those pins a rest. Fortunately Etroubles is quite small so you won't be tempted to 'clock up the k's' (miles).
I had a wonderful dinner in Etroubles...just can't remember the name of the place...& yes, that is jet-black icecream RHS of the plate! 🤔🤷‍♀️

dinner Etrouble.jpg black icecream.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Left the hospice this morning with heavy wind and hail stones falling.
Took the trail on the Italian side of the mountain and after dropping about a 1000 feet in elevation the hail finally stopped, but the rain continued.
Another 1000 foot drop the rain stopped, but the cold prevailed.
About 4.5 hours later I made it to my destination of Etrouble.
(I highly recommend when leaving the hospice that you take the trail route NOT the road route). The trail is very well marked whereas the road will add about an extra hour onto your decent time.
In 2016 most of our group walked on the trail while I walked on the road. I could see the other's from time to time and eventually we arrived at St Remy within a minute or two of each other. From there we all walked on the trail to Etroubles

No kidding! Most, like me, would think nothing of it. It's downhill, right?
Not even close to being true.
An absolute thigh burner.
Unfortunately, that "downhill is easy" myth is hard to overcome, but as an old distance runner who participated in several multi-stage races (150-250 miles of relay stages), the veterans would always opt for running uphill vs a steep downhill. Downhill makes "hamburger"out of your quads as they are taking the brunt of stabilizing you from the weight of your body (and a pack) plus gravity as you descend. Anyone who planned to run a downhill stage would wisely do a heavy dose of squats in the weeks leading up to the race, but it is almost impossible to train for the pounding your upper legs will absorb.
I plan to walk that same path in early September and have begun to incorporate front squats and Romanian split leg knee drops into my weight training routine. Old legs don't like it much, but they like it less when I do NO training before tackling big descents. Your thighs will be sore for a couple of days with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), but your fitness level at this point of your trek should keep that response to a short window of a few days. The knee sleeves are a brilliant idea, I may check them out.
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Knee sleeves - I have no doubt they have made a difference for me on this trip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you buy a ticket for the museum it includes a visit to the dogs. Some lucky people are allowed to accompany them and their handlers on their daily walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back