• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Braga to Porto

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don’t think many people have walked it from South to North, unless they were connecting from the standard Caminho Portugues to the Geira e dos Arrieros, which starts in Braga.

Luis Freixo calls it the Caminho de Braga.

I found some wikiloc tracks, with a little bit of commentary.

Stage 1 has a lot of asphalt according to the author.

These tracks were recorded this year so I think you can assume they will get you there just fine. With these tracks, the direction won’t matter, but I don’t know if you were planning to stick to arrows only? I think it would be hard to walk any camino “backwards” without a GPS.

Has anybody walked this, going south? Would that be hard to navigate? What's it like?
Just remember that if you walk in the opposite direction, you will never see the people you meet, again during your walk.
I ran into someone I knew from the US, and his wife, walking doing this on the CF. They told me they missed, and regretted, meeting people, never to see them again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just remember that if you walk in the opposite direction, you will never see the people you meet, again during your walk.
I ran into someone I knew from the US, and his wife, walking doing this on the CF. They told me they missed, and regretted, meeting people, never to see them again.
I was just thinking of doing that one stretch backwards, Braga - Porto, which would take a few days. My brother lives in Braga and I was thinking I could visit him first, walk to Porto and then head north on the Camino (the "right" way). Once I go north from Porto, I won't have to worry about meeting people just once. This way, that guy who snores really loud, crinkles plastic early in the morning and puts nauseating, smelly ointment on his feet every night before he goes to bed? This way I can be sure to have a bunk near his in every albergue I stop in all the way to Santiago!

Certainly doable and there is walking trail there, but it would be odd to do it the way you are suggesting. Why not start in Porto, walk to Braga, then continue on the Camino Torres until it rejoins the Portuguese in a day or two? Or walk south from Braga to reach Barcelos if you want to be on the CP for longer? We did similar and loved the feeling of being off the Pilgrim Highway for the first few days while enjoying the highlights it offers post-Porto.

Or is it that you want to walk the coastal way from Porto? The first stage of the “regular” route is awful and really not worth the time returning to Porto for it.

Certainly doable and there is walking trail there, but it would be odd to do it the way you are suggesting. Why not start in Porto, walk to Braga, then continue on the Camino Torres until it rejoins the Portuguese in a day or two? Or walk south from Braga to reach Barcelos if you want to be on the CP for longer? We did similar and loved the feeling of being off the Pilgrim Highway for the first few days while enjoying the highlights it offers post-Porto.

Or is it that you want to walk the coastal way from Porto? The first stage of the “regular” route is awful and really not worth the time returning to Porto for it.
I've re-thought my plans (backwards from braga to porto) and your ideas sound better. My brother lives in Braga and my daughter and I have been thinking about meeting there to visit and then walking to Porto to start the Camino. I've walked the route north from Porto along the coast and it was beautiful and peaceful, but I'm reading now that it's become very "popular" since I was there. So walking from Braga is sounding more appealing. It would be kinda nice to walk to Barcelos and stay at Fernanda's, but not necessary. Looking at my big camino wall map, I don't see a route to Barcelos and it looks like the Torres comes up from the south and ends at Braga. I am reading other threads and I like the idea of walking through the national park and also the suggestion that there are Roman mile stones on one of the routes. Those of you who have been on those paths, tell me more!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am reading other threads and I like the idea of walking through the national park and also the suggestion that there are Roman mile stones on one of the routes. Those of you who have been on those paths, tell me more!
Now you’re talking about the Geira e dos Arrieiros. I have walked it and here are my highlights.

it looks like the Torres comes up from the south and ends at Braga

The Camino Torres stretches from Salamanca to SdC, so it definitely continues on after Braga! It’s one long and hilly stage (or two short ones!) from joining up with the CP in Ponte de Lima. The link below gives a good overview of the entire route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Torres stretches from Salamanca to SdC, so it definitely continues on after Braga! It’s one long and hilly stage (or two short ones!) from joining up with the CP in Ponte de Lima. The link below gives a good overview of the entire route.

Yes, I think the standard Camino de Torres designation. is to connect from Braga to the Central Portugues. Far more beautiful, IMHO, though with absolutely no other pilgrims, is the Geira, which starts in Braga and goes on to Santiago. I walked a Torres-Geira combo last year and thought it was terrific. There’s a link to my Find Penguins in my signature lines at the bottom. I’ll look forward to lots of questions! @Charrito is a big fan of the Geira, too.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back