• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brand new to Camino

KathCraig

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Hi Everyone,
I have just decided to do the Camino Portugal in the beginning of May 2013 as I have only about 20 days to walk and I don't have anything prepared at all. I am finding it all a little overwhelming when reading the posts. How do I get a Camino Passport, work out where to stay and how to walk each day, where to go and where to purchase food? I am reluctant to carry books because they are heavy.I am presently in Greece and will be in Turkey just before going to do the walk and therefore my access to items is limited.I also need to purchase some items like a silk sleeping bag liner, and a light weight sleeping bag and can I do this in Porto? I have been traveling for about 6 months through Africa and Europe and therefore have too much stuff to take on the walk- including my laptop. I was thinking about dropping heavy items and things I don't need with Ivar in Santiago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Kath

A selection of Camino Jewellery
KathCraig said:
Hi Everyone,
I have just decided to do the Camino Portugal in the beginning of May 2013 as I have only about 20 days to walk and I don't have anything prepared at all. I am finding it all a little overwhelming when reading the posts. How do I get a Camino Passport, work out where to stay and how to walk each day, where to go and where to purchase food? I am reluctant to carry books because they are heavy.I am presently in Greece and will be in Turkey just before going to do the walk and therefore my access to items is limited.I also need to purchase some items like a silk sleeping bag liner, and a light weight sleeping bag and can I do this in Porto? I have been traveling for about 6 months through Africa and Europe and therefore have too much stuff to take on the walk- including my laptop. I was thinking about dropping heavy items and things I don't need with Ivar in Santiago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Kath
Hi, Kath,
Welcome to the forum! You might find valuable information following the Camino Portugues topics.
I'm also starting my first Camino Frances this May and I've found almost everything I need reading the Camino Frances posts. So, here are the modest thoughts of someone preparing just like you:
1. Be confident. There were so many others before you and they did just fine.
2. Almost every village has an albergue where you can find a bed. As well as stores/ shops or caffe bars.
3. I'm for sleeping bag because I don't like been cold while sleeping.
4. I'll have one guide book and one notebook. I don't intend to read; I intend to feel and live. You won't need a laptop.
5. I guess you can drop everything is over 7 or 8 kilos. I packed and my backpack weights about 7 1/2 kilos without food and water.
6. The equipment is far more important than the food. Take confortable shoes or boots.
There are many other suggestions, more valuable than mine, on this forum. Take your time and explore it.
Remember, if you really feel like walking the Camino, you will do that, no matter what.

Bune Camino,
S

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.