• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the Camino! Questions...

loridovi

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie to the Camino
Hi Fellow Travelers,

I want to walk the Camino or part of it in April/May. I am solo. What trails are the easiest, fewer people, rural and will have the best weather?! I have 2 weeks. I walk in The Aude of France so Im not a complete newbie to hiking, but I have decided to only walk 11km a day and enjoy my time, not in any rush with a destination.

I am thinking of Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia AND OR Vigo to Santiago...

Any insights greatly appreciated,
Lori

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It would ( in general) be easier to answer questions if the poster would tell more about herself and her preferences regarding for instance landscape; weather, rural or urban and so on

Is it important for you to get to Santiago de Compostela, or do you just want to walk? Do you speak Spanish? How far would you like to walk every day? Would you like to sleep in cheap albergues, or go from hotel to hotel?

In general, I recommend the last stretch of Camino Francés, from Sarría to Santiago, for first time walkers. There are plenty of accommodation options, services in English, lots of pilgrims to make friends with, and it's fairly flat. It is also long enough for you to get the Compostela (piece of paper that grants you absolution), if that is of interest.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Lori:

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest starting with why you are walking, and then start as far away from Santiago as possible.

The first 5-6 days of the Portuguese Coastal are quite flat, and there are no significant hills on the remaining 5-6 days. I think the spiritual variant has a good hill.

El Camino Mozárabe should have reliably clear weather, as will the VLDP. I've not walked the, yet, but it looks like most of the elevation gains from Seville and from Almeria are fairly gradual.

Weatherspark enables comparing weather (climate) in various locations.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino

The more specific your questions and more thorough your limitations (time, money, physical ability), the more likely the fine folks of this fantastic forum will be able to help you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It would ( in general) be easier to answer questions if the poster would tell more about herself and her preferences regarding for instance landscape; weather, rural or urban and so on
Thank you Antonius,

I am looking for a route that has less rainfall less people, is more rural and more easy. I am thinking of the route from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia AND/OR Vigo to Santiago. I have 2 weeks.

Your insights greatly appreciated,
Lori

Hi Lori:

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest starting with why you are walking, and then start as far away from Santiago as possible.

The first 5-6 days of the Portuguese Coastal are quite flat, and there are no significant hills on the remaining 5-6 days. I think the spiritual variant has a good hill.

El Camino Mozárabe should have reliably clear weather, as will the VLDP. I've not walked the, yet, but it looks like most of the elevation gains from Seville and from Almeria are fairly gradual.

Weatherspark enables comparing weather (climate) in various locations.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Thank you for this idea. I walk for quietness of nature and contemplation. I was thinking the Portugal Coastal but it seems more paved from what Ive read or part of it anyways. Have you done Vigo to Santiago? Or Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia?

Perhaps the combination Camino Ingles with finistere muxia is an option. Both would take about a week (I did not walk the ingles the walk to Finistere and Muxia is very nice)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want short steps, Vigo to Fisterra/Muxia via Santiago seems the best idea. I did not yet walk on the Portugues but you will have the opportunity to visit Iria Flavia (now known as Padrón) which is famous for 2 reasons:
- this is the location were the boat with the body of Santiago would have landed...
- the marvellous pimientos !
After that my advice is to begin by Muxia and to end your journey at the end of the land, the lighthouse of Fisterra. It is magic, especially if you eat some zamburiñas there !

I am looking for a route that has less rainfall less people, is more rural and more easy. I am thinking of the route from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia AND/OR Vigo to Santiago. I have 2 weeks.

Camino de Madrid to Sahagun! Lovely terrain, less rain that Galicia, nice albergues, very few pilgrims.

Hi Fellow Travelers,

I want to walk the Camino or part of it in April/May. I am solo. What trails are the easiest, fewer people, rural and will have the best weather?! I have 2 weeks. I walk in The Aude of France so Im not a complete newbie to hiking, but I have decided to only walk 11km a day and enjoy my time, not in any rush with a destination.

I am thinking of Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia AND OR Vigo to Santiago...

Any insights greatly appreciated,
Lori
The challenge is that some of your criteria work against each other. You've decided to only walk 11km/day and you want a route with fewer people. In general, there is more infrastructure and more choices of where to stop each day when there are more people. The routes with the fewest people have the fewest options for places to stop and stay the night. Or you want the least rainfall, but both of the places you are thinking of are in Galicia (where Santiago de Compostela is), which is the rainiest part of Spain. My Fair Lady notwithstanding, the rain in Spain doesn't fall mainly in the plains, it falls mainly in Galicia.

So, a few questions:
Which criteria are most important? For example, Heidi's suggestion above works well - for some criteria. In general, there is less rainfall. Certainly there are fewer people. If you start in Segovia instead of Madrid, it is quite flat. It is said to have the least road walking (I haven't walked all the routes to say for sure). But you aren't going to find albergues every 11km.

How important is it to get to Santiago and/or receive a Compostela on this trip? If it is important, it will remove all of the options that don't centre on Galicia.

Another option you could consider is the route from Ourense. I haven't walked it myself, but I've heard very good things about it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.