• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the Camino :-)

Lolly57

Time of past OR future Camino
1st Camino de Santiago planned for March/April 24
Hello everyone, So excited to join the forum & gain some insight into pros,cons, do's & donts for my first Camino on the Frances route. Starting to train as heard I should give myself at least 3 months training. I did my first 22KM walk the other day, without too much of a problem. I am a 67 year old female & will be travelling alone. I would ideally like to do the walk in 31 days but feel after everything I have read that will not give me any rest days is that right?
I would value any, & I mean any feedback that may help during the whole journey. Many thanks & look forward to hearing from anyone. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum.
Good to hear that your 22 km day went well.

How many days you require will really depend on many factors. Health, fitness, avoiding injury.

For many people 31 days is quite possible, for others not possible.
31 days if walking from St Jean, would require over 36 kms per day, day after day, with no breaks.
I take 40 days for example but I'm slower that most. (I'm 66 and not that fit, though slow and steady)

It's always wise I think to factor in 2 or 3 rest days, though you never quite know when you will need them.
So if for example 22 kms per day was your comfort level (which happens to be mine) and allowing for 3 rest days, you would require 39 days.

Only you know what a comfortable distance will be for you, and if it's your first Camino, unless you are an experienced hiker, it's often hard to know what your daily distance 'sweet spot' will be.

If you have the time, allowing a little extra time is always worth while. If you have spare time at the end you can use it to relax in Santiago, continue on the to the coast.......

If you have scheduled too little time it means skipping sections, which is a pity.

Thank you so much for the reply & good advice. I know I need to do a few more 22+kms walks back to back to see how I feel & get a better gauge of it. Would be nice to enjoy the route, while walking, which I think it's all about really. Thanks again

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum.

Remember to factor in travel days to and from the Camino.

If you have time and money take all the time you need.

The way is a tasty treat best eaten in small savory bites.

Take loads of pictures.

If time is a factor, 31 days, remember those travel days to and from camino plus a comfortable time to complete the way based upon time, fitness, and budget. Then adjust your starting point accordingly.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You have already been given some very good advice. I'll add - just in case you haven't found it yet - the gronze website where you can see distances and elevations and accommodations. Very helpful for planning. And this distance planner is very handy too, especially if you are needing to work out where to start closer to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you have the time, build in at least 5 extra days to use in case of injury, illness, or just a desire to slow down. If you don't have those extra days to spare start closer to Santiago.

Welcome to the forum. You have already been given some very good advice. I'll add - just in case you haven't found it yet - the gronze website where you can see distances and elevations and accommodations. Very helpful for planning. And this distance planner is very handy too, especially if you are needing to work out where to start closer to Santiago.
Thank you so much for the links they are really helpful. Sooo excited & daunted at the same time!!

If you have the time, build in at least 5 extra days to use in case of injury, illness, or just a desire to slow down. If you don't have those extra days to spare start closer to Santiago.
Thank you 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum.

Remember to factor in travel days to and from the Camino.

If you have time and money take all the time you need.

The way is beautiful and best eaten in small savory bites.

Take loads of pictures.

If time is a factor, 31 days, remember those travel days to and from camino plus a comfortable time to complete the way based upon time, fitness, and budget. Then adjust your starting point accordingly.

Buen camino.
Thank you 🙏 good advice. I so want to do the whole stretch but realise I have to be sensible.

Hello everyone, So excited to join the forum & gain some insight into pros,cons, do's & donts for my first Camino on the Frances route. Starting to train as heard I should give myself at least 3 months training. I did my first 22KM walk the other day, without too much of a problem. I am a 67 year old female & will be travelling alone. I would ideally like to do the walk in 31 days but feel after everything I have read that will not give me any rest days is that right?
I would value any, & I mean any feedback that may help during the whole journey. Many thanks & look forward to hearing from anyone. :)
Hi, you mention walking 22 kms as your first step to training for the Camino. You do not mention the terrain you covered. I wonder if you have planned to add steep up and down parts to your training. Although I have seen the Camino characterized as 'a walk in the park' now and then, if you check the maps that show the elevations on some stretches, it will be clear to you that the 'park' referred to must have been very interesting; indeed, perhaps unique! Also, you may well have considered the following: carry your full pack (including some food and water) when out walking, especially on the aforementioned steep bits and wear the clothes you plan to walk in. Footwear and socks need to be tested in conditions as close to those you will find on the Camino. Very best wishes for your adventure.

Hi, you mention walking 22 kms as your first step to training for the Camino. You do not mention the terrain you covered. I wonder if you have planned to add steep up and down parts to your training. Although I have seen the Camino characterized as 'a walk in the park' now and then, if you check the maps that show the elevations on some stretches, it will be clear to you that the 'park' referred to must have been very interesting; indeed, perhaps unique! Also, you may well have considered the following: carry your full pack (including some food and water) when out walking, especially on the aforementioned steep bits and wear the clothes you plan to walk in. Footwear and socks need to be tested in conditions as close to those you will find on the Camino. Very best wishes for your adventure.
Thank you for the advice. Yes we have quite a few hills around where we live, not anything close to the elevation on the Camino but on the 22kms I did some elevation of 252meters, which I know is nothing like \i will experience, but I'm hopeful I will find more hills to train on. Good idea about the full pack, which I had thought of too. So much to think about before I get there!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back