• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking down,Building up?

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
I met a second time Camino walker who told me that it would break you down before it builds you back up. This is my first Camino so anyone care to enlighten me? Already I've had a few rounds of tears, both joyful and sad. I've ALWAYS known the limits of my body. What's hard for me to accept, 150 pounds down is just how much it CAN do! Any thoughts are most welcome. I am a naif but one always wanting to know more!

And thank you all. I now know I can walk hard for one day then need a rest day. The body is stronger than it was but I'm no every-single-day hiker yet. I'm taking potassium and magnesium tablets, drinking LOTS of water, and listening to my body, mind, and heart!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was told when walking the camino that the first week you adjust physically, the second week you adjust mentally and in the third week you start to enjoy it. This was very true to my experience, and I found after the pains and blisters and wondering what the hell I was doing, I started wishing that the camino would go on forever. Part of the Zen tradition and other religious practices is that in order to find yourself you first have to loose yourself, maybe this is what your companion meant when he said the camino will first break you down before building you back up. You sound like you are doing well, just breathe deep and keep going!

Last edited:
I think that what people mean is that sometimes you have to have some hardships to help you let go of the BS of everyday life that we all accumulate - then you are receptive to whatever it is that you need or want to do.

I went on a trip once (just a regular vacation, not a Camino or anything), and I was really stressed at the beginning of the trip due to the things going on in my life. The first week I had fun, but I was still kind of stressed. The 2nd week, I got sick - coughing, fever, extreme fatigue - was out of commission for a couple days, then took a couple more days to regain strength. I came out of that fever as the most relaxed person ever and really enjoyed the rest of the trip - way more than I would have otherwise. That fever knocked me down and caused me to let go of a lot of stuff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I met a second time Camino walker who told me that it would break you down before it builds you back up. This is my first Camino so anyone care to enlighten me? Already I've had a few rounds of tears, both joyful and sad. I've ALWAYS known the limits of my body. What's hard for me to accept, 150 pounds down is just how much it CAN do! Any thoughts are most welcome. I am a naif but one always wanting to know more!

And thank you all. I now know I can walk hard for one day then need a rest day. The body is stronger than it was but I'm no every-single-day hiker yet. I'm taking potassium and magnesium tablets, drinking LOTS of water, and listening to my body, mind, and heart!
Glad to know your still moving, even shorter distances can be good!

I have done 3 Caminos - first was a physical disaster, second was wonderful and the one finished last month was stupendous. What I have learned is to walk slowly.

In my life I usually go at speed. On my good Caminos I ambled. I have learned to drink Clara's at the bars and water, things I never drink at home. And I salt my food in Spain!

And do not eat lentils or beans unless you are used to them! They taste so nice but .... they cause me major problems.

Amble. Sit under a tree and look at the view, listen to the insects and birds and wind.

Enjoy!

I weigh 150 lbs. That is not too much! That is normal.

On my first Camino my body broke down at about 200 kms. On my recent Camino my body did not break down because I listened to my body and maybe I am wiser (over 65).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.