• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trash pick up

DBart

Time of past OR future Camino
Maybe a year ago I read an article or a post somewhere that mentioned that Correos had started a program to assist with collecting trash along the Camino and they provided free bags for collection at various post offices. Does anyone know if this is still operating? I typically carry a bag while canoeing or hiking and figured I would do it along the Camino as well. Anyone have any updates on the program. I couldn’t find any info on the correos website.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was called "Un Paso Limpio," it was sponsored by the Amigos de Astorga and the Japanese Association of Pilgrims, with funding from Correos. Yellow plastic bags were distributed along the Frances route, and pilgrims could take them, fill them up along the Way, and hopefully drop them in a proper container.
I still have a big mess of these bags, the Ditch Pigs hand them out to passing pilgrims when we're out on the trail, just to share the fun.
In later years the yellow bags were made of reusable nylon, a bit more environmentally aware, with different agencies doing the funding and distribution. These items were also great pilgrim laundry and shopping bags, thousands were carried home as souvenirs. We had a box of them at Albergue Municipal de Najera in 2022, but when they were gone, no more showed up.
Like many good ideas, this one will go on until the funding runs out.

Can we crowd-fund more bags?
Why, here on the forum I don't know how many lists / questions come by with what should I take with me. And the only thing that is never on there are waste bags. How about we all start taking some waste bags with us and advise everyone who comes up with the question of what to take with them to put some waste bags in their backpack. Oh, and they are also for sale in Spain. Just sayin 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why, here on the forum I don't know how many lists / questions come by with what should I take with me. And the only thing that is never on there are waste bags. How about we all start taking some waste bags with us and advise everyone who comes up with the question of what to take with them to put some waste bags in their backpack. Oh, and they are also for sale in Spain. Just sayin 🙏🏻

Best suggestion ever! An easy solution for taking some action ourselves. Even a small plastic grocery bag can be used. All small things add up!

I knew there was a reason I wade through some of the drivel on here (although I’m guilty of contributing to it); it’s because once in a while someone states the bleedin’ obvious which has eluded everyone else.

What a great suggestion.

I knew there was a reason I wade through some of the drivel on here (although I’m guilty of contributing to it); it’s because once in a while someone states the bleedin’ obvious which has eluded everyone else.

What a great suggestion.

And we aren't even ' tired and emotional '. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In later years the yellow bags were made of reusable nylon, a bit more environmentally aware, with different agencies doing the funding and distribution. These items were also great pilgrim laundry and shopping bags, thousands were carried home as souvenirs.
I picked up a couple of the nylon bags in 2021 and 2022. I'm afraid I'm guilty as charged, having used them for laundry and shopping and taking them home as souvenirs!

I usually carry plastic waste bags for picking up trash while hiking trails and back roads in Pennsylvania, and plan to do the same for my next Camino in 2025.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

YES! - At least on the Forum we can promote not only trash awareness but trash action.
I am planning my second Camino Francés and this will definitely be on my list. A couple of my lightweight shopping bags are perfect to collect trash and empty out at appropriate bins.
I am a saunterer rather than a walker so have plenty of time to collect trash. Maybe a reusable latex glove or two might be useful too.
Thank you

I thought those were laundry bags! Got a couple in Logroño in 2021. They are great, don't make any noise when trying to start early. I'll have to make amends for their misuse and pick up more garbage next time.

On my 2012 camino when I ran out of trash bags I discovered that asking Hospis, bar-owners and even those municipality guys with their little carts and collections of brushes "¿podrías darme una bolsa de basura?" Even my phrasebook Spanish produced the desired result
Hi, does Spain still have plastic bags? We haven't had them for a number of years.
They were definitely handy for picking up rubbish on.previous Camino. I also took 3 pairs of light plastic gloves which got used at a couple of grotty rubbish deposits. I thought I read recently that the rubbish dropping had dropped off excuse the pun.

YES! - At least on the Forum we can promote not only trash awareness but trash action.
I am planning my second Camino Francés and this will definitely be on my list. A couple of my lightweight shopping bags are perfect to collect trash and empty out at appropriate bins.
I am a saunterer rather than a walker so have plenty of time to collect trash. Maybe a reusable latex glove or two might be useful too.
Thank you
Oh Rita, fair Camino Saunterering Lady! I had two bouts of Covid 2023, which has done a number on my "breathlessness" and, at 79, slowed my planned weight loss. . So 11 April, my fourth CS, I plan to be "sauntering forth" from Roncesvalles and make it as far as Viskarret. First CF in 2002, I made it as far as Larrasoana. Well, them days is gone for good! I live in Portugal, no worries about flight homes, staying in Spain until the heat has me sweltering back to Coimbra. And "saunter" for you looks like ...?

Oh Rita, fair Camino Saunterering Lady! I had two bouts of Covid 2023, which has done a number on my "breathlessness" and, at 79, slowed my planned weight loss. . So 11 April, my fourth CS, I plan to be "sauntering forth" from Roncesvalles and make it as far as Viskarret. First CF in 2002, I made it as far as Larrasoana. Well, them days is gone for good! I live in Portugal, no worries about flight homes, staying in Spain until the heat has me sweltering back to Coimbra. And "saunter" for you looks like ...?

Hi @catheriam
Sorry to hear about your illness and health. May your body recover as best it can and give you more Caminos.
I saunter more because of normal aging (72), a manageable foot injury and temperament, rather than for major health reasons.
My shortest Camino day ever was 4 km. But I have done a few extremely long days over the years - for me that’s around 32 km max. Phew!
My average days are currently around 17 km. probably more than you are managing at the moment.
I saunter because I love to stop and share communion with the trees, shrubs, flowers, rivers, animals, earth, sky etc.
I can be found sitting anywhere in nature staring into the distance in reverie.
The blessing of enforced sauntering is just that -an opportunity to embed oneself in Country.
Australian Aboriginal culture calls the land Country with a capital ’C’ to denote the whole beingness of a place - and just like with a person, it takes time to get to know Country.
It’s so good you don’t have to travel far for your Caminos.
Happy sauntering. ❤️🚶‍♀️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back