• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking up the Almansa to Higueruela stage

peregrina2000

Staff member
Some of the days on the Levante are just too long for me, even though they're flat. Thanks to my forum pal Kevin and the Spanish forum members who have given clear instructions on how to break this stage into two. From Almansa to Higueruela, it’s 44 kms. The last 11 kms are on asphalt. An alternative follows.

After leaving Almansa and walking up the Sierra del Mugron (where you can see bunkers built but never used in the Civil War to repel Franco's forces), you descend and pass a farmstead called "El Carrascal". One km further on, there is a well-marked signpost. The Levante continues straight ahead, while the Sureste and the Lana go to the right. If you take the right turn, leaving the Levante, you will enter Alpera in 3 kms, giving you a 25 km day. Alpera has a refugio. The next day, it's 24 from Alpera into Higueruela, back on the Levante. NB: Albergue in Higueruela is, in Kevin's words, "grotty."

According to the Spanish forum, there are two good private options in Higuruela. El Cazador has rooms for 18 euros, bar/restaurante where you can eat well for 9 euros, new rooms that are comfortable. Also, at the entrance to town the Pension Stop has rooms with a similar price, (maybe a bit cheaper and it is older and more spartan), and a hotel with an 8 euro menu. Both are essentially on the camino.

The next stage to Higueruela from Alpera is 24 kms, of which 13 are on a track; or there’s a 21/3 kms alternative all on the highway.

If you’ve split up the stage and spent the night in Alpera, you can also decide to make up time by walking from Alpera to Hoya-Gonzalo and it will be 35 kms, 15.5 on asphalt. In Hoya Gonzalo there is an albergue municipal. And from Hoya Gonzalo you can go straight to Albacete (36 kms from the albergue of Hoya Gonzalo to the Hostal San Agustin in Albacete).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The French Gerard Rousse Guide gives this as an option.

While it's more out of date than the Amigos Guide, I think it's worth looking at - it gives other accommodation options to the Amigos Guide. (I took it with me as the new Amigos Guide had just been published and I had to gamble on being able to get it from one of the bookshops in Valencia. It's a relatively light guidebook and I found it worth carrying as well as the Amigos one)

Andy

My memory of the albergue in Higueruela was that it was OK. And the people in the Posada which has the key were very good to me.

The Hostal Agustin in Albacete was a night of great comedy to do with walls that were paper thin, mattresses that had the most worn out uncomfortable but noisy springs and a happy couple next door ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Laurie - 'twas only after walking 42 of the 44 kms in baking heat the local doctor stopped his car to ask if we were ok. He turned out to be a member of the local Amigos and described the albergue option half way through the etapa just as you have. Had we known we would have taken the option. Exhausted we arrived in Higueruela to find a local fiesta in full swing. There were hostal options listed but there were no rooms at the inn. I thought the albergue had everything we needed - a hot shower, mattresses and right next to the bar and restaurant.

Happy planning

John

Thanks, John and Andy.

I haven't seen the French guide, but a wonderful coincidence on a Spanish forum will provide me with a copy of the Spanish guidebook. A person who lives in Valencia on the forum has a friend who is coming to my little town in December, so I will get personal delivery!

I am finding more information on the web, too, so I think I'll be ok without the French guide. If you think differently, let me know, ok?

I can just imagine how hot and exhausted you must have been John, I'm assuming you didn't partake of too many festivities in Higueruela upon arrival.

Also, good to know there is a difference of opinion on the albergue, I'll check it out.

Muchas gracias. Laurie

As always I tell the forum-members, that there are som good German guides. Just in case there should be someone who read German out there. So here also: Conrad Stein Verlag, "Camino de Levante von Valencia nach Zamora". Bjørg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

I've seen different reports on the length of Almansa-Higuerela. I read 44 kms somewhere but others report below 40 kms. Anyway, I did the whole stretch without stopping in Alpera. I'm not a 40+ kms-kind-of-guy and I survived - and a hot day it was - so I seriously doubt it is such a long stage! I would say maximum 40 kms. It is possible to make it in one day, but of course you have to bring water and I wouldn't do it if it is such a hot day (I did, but I almost ran out of water). Last 10 kms are on asphalt, so if you become exhausted, the last part before Higuerela will kill your legs. The guidebook of Asociacón de Valencia mentions that you can get water at some house in the middle of the stage. When I got there, it looked very much like private property, fancy car and fancy house, and a dog barking aggressively at me from a distance. I didn't feel invited to go there so I don't know if it's possible to get water. It sure would help if you attempt the whole stage in one day.

BP

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back