• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bring My Own Walking Cane

cwalden

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
Someone made ma a walking cane that I would like to bring to the Camino for my walk. It is about 5 feet tall and in one piece. I am traveling form the United States. Has anyone brought a cane on board the plane and if so how did you accomplish that? I would be blessed to have this on my pilgrimage. It has carvings on it that share my faith.

Any additional comments on this thread? I added pictures of the cane.

Attachments

• Cane 1.jpg
    Cane 1.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 9,195
  • Cane 2.jpg
    Cane 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In June 2022 and again in January 2023 I fell and broke my back. Needed two surgeries! .... My pain management doctor told me to start using a cane, which I prudently did....

When I later told him of my plan to revisit the Camino in October 2023 he gave me a letter. "You'll want this," he declared. The doctor's letter said that I needed to use a came as a "mobility device" due to permanent back injury. I presented that letter (together with the cane, for examination) to airport security and had no trouble whatsoever, either leaving the US or coming home.

So: how's your back?

Last edited:
In June 2022 and again in January 2023 I fell and broke my back. Needed two surgeries! .... My pain management doctor told me to start using a cane, which I prudently did....

When I later told him of my plan to revisit the Camino in October 2023 he gave me a letter. "You'll want this," he declared. The doctor's letter said that I needed to use a came as a "mobility device" due to permanent back injury. I presented that letter (together with the cane, for examination) to airport security and had no trouble whatsoever, either leaving the US or coming home.

So: how's your back
I have had back problems on and off. Not sure how the walk will affect me. This is my first walk and I'll start training.

Best thing to do is check with your airline and be SURE they know it's 5 feet tall which to me seems doubtful as use as a walking cane. But as others have said, if they don't let you take it on board, you can always check it. Wrap it up good in bubble wrap. I'd put a tracking device in it, and pick it up when you arrive in Europe.

Someone made ma a walking cane that I would like to bring to the Camino for my walk. It is about 5 feet tall and in one piece. I am traveling form the United States. Has anyone brought a cane on board the plane and if so how did you accomplish that? I would be blessed to have this on my pilgrimage. It has carvings on it that share my faith.

Any additional comments on this thread?
If the cane looks like a cane, and does not have a pointy steel tip (good for stabbing), your story is that this is a walking device to assist you in walking. I tell the TSA folks that this is a cane to help with my equilibrium (I am 70 and can pull this off).

To summarize, cane-like devices that are intended to assist a person in walking (e.g. balance) ARE allowed in the cabin. OTOH, segmented or single-length hiking sticks, pacer poles, etc. that come with a tungsten or other steel pointy tip are NOT allowed, as they make a handing stabbing weapon. Having rubber tips covering the pointy end does not matter. The x-ray will show the hard-sharp tip.

I do have a hiking cane that I sourced in Decathlon - near Santiago for €11.99. I removed the tungsten tip with pliers, and filled the hole in the end of the pole with a wooden dowel that was hammered in and cannot be removed. I use a standard round rubber tip over this. I have taken this walking assistive device into the cabin many times.

Only once did someone object at an airline gate. I told them this was a walking stick to help me with my balance. I explained that this looks like a hiking pole, only because it can be shortened for convenience if needed - like on the plane - to fit under my seat or overhead.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
In follow up to my post above ---

(1) When I went to the airport in October 2023 (RIC) and checked in for my flight to Madrid, the desk clerk told me that my cane could be accepted as a checked-in baggage item, at no cost to me, and that I wouldn't need to take it though airport security at all! (Appreciated the offer, but declined.)

(2) On two past Caminos I purchased a conventional walking stick upon arrival at my trailhead.. I later tried to take the walking sticks home as checked-in baggage items. One stick made it. The other simply vanished. The airline said, "Sorry! We know nothing." Hence, my hesitation about shipping canes/sticks as checked-in items.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have never heard of a five foot tall staff used as a necessary mobility device, but I hope it works for you to bring it on board with a doctor's note.
I assume it could be checked in the hold with a tag attached as an alternative if need be.
I must
I have never heard of a five foot tall staff used as a necessary mobility device, but I hope it works for you to bring it on board with a doctor's note.
I assume it could be checked in the hold with a tag attached as an alternative if need be.
I think the conversation went in that direction. I do not use it for a mobility device.

I apologize as I think I led everyone to think it was for my mobility from injury. I think I should have used the term hiking cane maybe. This is all new to me - the Camino, hiking, the cane, etc.

It is only wood, no metal parts. It is 5 feet tall.

I am addling pictures of it.

Cane 1.jpg

Cane 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@cwalden, I understood all along that it was a walking/hiking staff/stick; not a true "cane" for mobility use.
Ditto. However, as I read some of the follow-up posts it appeared to me that the suggestion was that you get your doctor to write you a Note that you do require it as a mobility device - then perhaps you will successfully get it through security!
Required or not, lean on it heavily enough going through security and you never know your luck.....

It is a very special and unique hand carved staff made just for you. Hopefully something will work out to bring it on the Camino and then back home again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm trying to think of where in an airplane cabin such as staff would be stored!
I have seen baby strollers folded, etc. a few times stored inside the aircraft near the front as you enter before turning the corner to head down the aisle. I suppose the staff could stand on end in that area and secured by a flight attendant, but I wouldn't count on it.

I have seen baby strollers folded, etc. a few times stored inside the aircraft near the front as you enter before turning the corner to head down the aisle. I suppose the staff could stand on end in that area and secured by a flight attendant, but I wouldn't count on it.
But they aren't five feet long!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I apologize as I think I led everyone to think it was for my mobility from injury. I think I should have used the term hiking cane maybe. This is all new to me - the Camino, hiking, the cane, etc.

It is only wood, no metal parts. It is 5 feet tall.

I am addling pictures of it.

View attachment 160567

View attachment 160568
I am afraid that will be considered a weapon. Actually, walking staffs like this were used as such during the Middle Ages. Did you ever see a Robin Hood film?

Plan ahead to check the staff as baggage. It is too long for the cabin. Consider pre-wrapping it in bubble wrap.

Hope this helps.

Tom

But they aren't five feet long!
But the cabin height is over 5 feet tall! I mentioned it could possibly "stand on end" against that first wall on the right side as you enter the aircraft before turning right to go down the aisle. I can envision🤓 it and I'm sure the flight attendants have special training to accommodate staffs.🤣

I am afraid that will be considered a weapon. Actually, walking staffs like this were used as such during the Middle Ages. Did you ever see a Robin Hood film?

Plan ahead to check the staff as baggage. It is too long for the cabin. Consider pre-wrapping it in bubble wrap.

Hope this helps.

Tom
That's the best answer yet!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Plan ahead to check the staff as baggage. It is too long for the cabin. Consider pre-wrapping it in bubble wrap
I think that I'd want more than bubble wrap to protect a precious one of a kind staff like that. Maybe you could get a tube or tubes taped together long enough to fit it to check it in

“You can take a cane or a walking stick on a plane if it is carried by a passenger using it as a mobility aid and if it’s a regular cane or walking stick and not a “tactical” cane that doubles as a weapon. Your cane will need to undergo x-ray screening. Walkers, crutches, canes or other mobility aids and devices must undergo X-ray screening.”

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“You can take a cane or a walking stick on a plane if it is carried by a passenger using it as a mobility aid and if it’s a regular cane or walking stick and not a “tactical” cane that doubles as a weapon. Your cane will need to undergo x-ray screening. Walkers, crutches, canes or other mobility aids and devices must undergo X-ray screening.”
Great research but something tells me that at five feet (1.5 meters) tall they may not accept it as a regular cane or walking stick. Although one can always ask.
A walking staff is, sadly, more likely to be classified as a tactical item.
Because let's face it, as mentioned above, historically it was most definitely one of their purposes!

Great research but something tells me that at five feet (1.5 meters) tall they may not accept it as a regular cane or walking stick. Although one can always ask.
A walking staff is, sadly, more likely to be classified as a tactical item.
Because let's face it, as mentioned above, historically it was most definitely one of their purposes!
Good point.

Any additional comments on this thread? I added pictures of the cane.
It's unlikely you will be able to take it onboard due to it's length. Simply add it to your checked baggage.

How about getting a professional to cut it in half and fit a screw fitting much the same as many pool cues. Would make things easier all round

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.