• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with my grandson

Bob Calver

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Norte in September 2019.
Since I completed my Camino in 2019 from Castro Urdiales to Santiago on the Norte, I have many conversations with my Spanish grandson, who lives by the route in Cantabria, about walking together. The general theme has been his concern that I am not to old for a Camino by the time he is old enough. We have done a few odd days on the route when I have been in Spain and our plan is to undertake a Camino together next summer when he will be almost 13 and I will be just 72. As a step towards this, in August this year we are planning to walk three consecutive days with overnight stays in albergues swo he has a sense of what is involved. The plan is to start at La Iglesia, near Comillas in Cantabria and to get to Ribadasella in Asturias. Does anyone have experience of walking with a young person or any advice that might be useful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a friend who walked with her family: husband mid 70's, daughter and husband in 40's and triplet grandsons around 13. They walked from Tui to SdC in March. They did use private accommodation because they were quite a large group. I know the boys really enjoyed it and are keen for more. My friend said the key was to have enough food opportunities for the boys! I remember my sons at that age and the eternal question, "What else is there to eat?" 😅
I think you'll both have a fantastic experience. A short taster will give you the chance to figure out what works best for you. As a teen he might struggle a bit with the early mornings. Perhaps on your longer walk you can have an occasional day in private accommodation so he can have a lie-in as a treat.
Buen Camino

Since I completed my Camino in 2019 from Castro Urdiales to Santiago on the Norte, I have many conversations with my Spanish grandson, who lives by the route in Cantabria, about walking together. The general theme has been his concern that I am not to old for a Camino by the time he is old enough. We have done a few odd days on the route when I have been in Spain and our plan is to undertake a Camino together next summer when he will be almost 13 and I will be just 72. As a step towards this, in August this year we are planning to walk three consecutive days with overnight stays in albergues swo he has a sense of what is involved. The plan is to start at La Iglesia, near Comillas in Cantabria and to get to Ribadasella in Asturias. Does anyone have experience of walking with a young person or any advice that might be useful.
I’ve no experience of what you describe; but I think it’s an excellent thing to do.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked twice with grandchildren and they loved it, but then they were several to keep each other company. They particularly loved the coastal portugues from O Porto to Caminha, then along the river over to Valença, Tui etc etc. Plenty of swimming and eating for which you do not need a lot of company. Couldn’t you rustle up a cousin to bring along?

Just this week I completed the Camino Francés from León to SdC with my grandson Henry. He just turned 17 and I am 71. It was one of the best experiences of my life. He loved it too. My best advice to anyone is don’t put it off until whatever. Last fall I completed the Camino Portugués Central from Porto with two friends. I believe that Camino would be better for younger kids, maybe even starting on the coastal route out of Porto. Most important DON’T POSTPONE YOUR LIFE ADVENTURES…that and PACK LIGHT! Buen Camino!

Hi Bob.
Last year I walked the last part of Camino Frances with my son-in-law and 2 granddaughters aged 10 and 7. I had given them my shells from my first two Caminos and at the end of one they came and spent a week with me in Santiago. They had expressed a desire to revisit Santiago and maybe walk a little with me. I told them if we trained for a few months and aimed to walk roughly 10k a day we could make it from Sarria in 10 days. We built up the weight in their packs by using books on practice walks as they understood they need ed to carry their own packs. On my previous 4 Caminos I had never booked ahead and we did the same with them. One day we had to walk an extra 4k to find a bed. They are two very different characters. The 10 year old organised and determined, the 7 year old needing to examine every leaf and blade of grass along the way. The main thing is to let it all go and do it how it suits them. I speak a good bit of Spanish so was able to help them as they played with local children in the evenings. They got their Compostelas and tell me that when they are old enough they will walk the whole way with their friend "just like granddad". Other pilgrims and hopitaleros loved them and treated them like royalty. It was one of the great experiences of my life but the big thing for me was to remember that it was not my Camino but theirs and hand it over to them. i am sure you will have a great time. Buen Camino. Vince

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bob,
My advice is go and enjoy. I, at 66, walked for 2 weeks last summer with my nearly 16 year old grandson. It was a beautiful experience. We very soon got into the habit of getting up early and trying to avoid the 40 - 42 degree afternoons. There were younger people walking to, I remember a 10 year old girl whose rucksack was nearly as big as herself. I don't get to see my grandson as often as I'd like as we don't live in the same country, so that was special.

Since I completed my Camino in 2019 from Castro Urdiales to Santiago on the Norte, I have many conversations with my Spanish grandson, who lives by the route in Cantabria, about walking together. The general theme has been his concern that I am not to old for a Camino by the time he is old enough. We have done a few odd days on the route when I have been in Spain and our plan is to undertake a Camino together next summer when he will be almost 13 and I will be just 72. As a step towards this, in August this year we are planning to walk three consecutive days with overnight stays in albergues swo he has a sense of what is involved. The plan is to start at La Iglesia, near Comillas in Cantabria and to get to Ribadasella in Asturias. Does anyone have experience of walking with a young person or any advice that might be useful

Do it. I met up with, and chatted to a women who was walking with her teenage grandson. She’d done a few caminos and he was loving his. They were loving it. Hope to hear about your adventures later in the year

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.