• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brittany Ferries . . . oh dear!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Fellow Pilgrims, I feel I should alert you to a new advertising campaign launched by Brittany Ferries who ply their trade between the UK and France/Spain.

The campaign is called "10 Spanish adventures to have with your children" (I sense rising concern in you already).

Associated with an image of two, trainer shod, pairs of feet (one in pink the other blue with yellow trim) standing on the familiar sun-burst shell icon the copy then goes on to say:

Cycle the Camino

While a one-month pilgrimage route from the French border to Camino de Santiago (sic) might not sound practical with kids, there's also a shorter, family-friendly version. Camino Ways (caminoways.com) offer a simple, self-guided, six-night, 62 mile cycling route. Starting in Sarria, you'll meet plenty of interesting characters along the way, and, when you reach the tomb of St James in Santiago's dramatic cathedral, you can collect your pilgrim certificates. (my italics)

So expect lots of petulant, cycle riding teenagers called Sebastian and India followed up by mummy and daddy in BMW X5 and Volvo XC60's clogging the last 100kms in future.

I assume it's all a part of a push for the British to visit mainland Europe before the pain of divorce kicks in and we're forever banned.

I can only offer my sincere apologies to you all.

(The above was written with tongue only partially in cheek)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They are sending them to the northern routes too............. but at least they are wearing boots

Fellow Pilgrims, I feel I should alert you to a new advertising campaign launched by Brittany Ferries who ply their trade between the UK and France/Spain.

The campaign is called "10 Spanish adventures to have with your children" (I sense rising concern in you already).

Associated with an image of two, trainer shod, pairs of feet (one in pink the other blue with yellow trim) standing on the familiar sun-burst shell icon the copy then goes on to say:

Cycle the Camino

While a one-month pilgrimage route from the French border to Camino de Santiago (sic) might not sound practical with kids, there's also a shorter, family-friendly version. Camino Ways (caminoways.com) offer a simple, self-guided, six-night, 62 mile cycling route. Starting in Sarria, you'll meet plenty of interesting characters along the way, and, when you reach the tomb of St James in Santiago's dramatic cathedral, you can collect your pilgrim certificates. (my italics)

So expect lots of petulant, cycle riding teenagers called Sebastian and India followed up by mummy and daddy in BMW X5 and Volvo XC60's clogging the last 100kms in future.

I assume it's all a part of a push for the British to visit mainland Europe before the pain of divorce kicks in and we're forever banned.

I can only offer my sincere sorry to you all.

Oh no! but Camino ways have been walking their groups along the Camino for some years. We met some of their group and the leader on the Sarria section. They were all pleasant people and their leader advised us to get the the cathedral by 18.00 to make sure we got a seat for the mass at 19.30. We were glad of her advice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Share and share alike.
Maybe one of those petulant teens will wake up somewhere between Sarria and Santiago and end up changing the world as a result. Who knows? Crazier things have happened.
And yes. We will definitely continue to need patience on that stretch of the Frances. But, hey - what's a pilgrimage for?;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, it's close to being false advertising, as you need to do at least 200 km to get the certificate, if you're on a bicycle.
Not really false advertising, more sloppy copywriting!

10 miles cycling a day??? Even for a child that sounds like a tiny amount. What would you do for the other 23 hours in the day?
Exactly! There's Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram and moping. Lots and lots of moping ;)

"These are my people and this is my crowd" - fortunately my two grew into rather pleasant adults so it's not all bad!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So expect lots of petulant, cycle riding teenagers called Sebastian and India followed up by mummy and daddy in BMW X5 and Volvo XC60's

That boat has already sailed. In July 2012 when I caught the ferry to Plymouth there were many groups,families and individuals all making their way home with their bikes and the scallop shells. All BF has done is recognize that and try to maintain and possibly increase those numbers.

Brittany Ferries are opening up the same route from Ireland in April to Santander I have always wanted to bring my bicycle this could be my opportunity:eek:

We have used Brittany Ferries each time for our pilgrimage transport to Spain and latterly for our further visits along the Camino but with our car. Each time we have seen other walking pilgrims in the waiting area in Plymouth and also on our return. I think this year it is just that Brittany Ferries are advertising this more, although their 'holiday itineraries' have included Santiago for some years.
Bookings made for 2018......:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

This whole advertising campaign is related to the new ferry link between Cork in Ireland and Santander.

http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route

Cool thing now is that Irish pilgrims who wanted to do so could start walking or cycling from home or their Parish, then get to Santiago by surface route.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link @JabbaPapa as this is not on the '.uk' site.
The page itself is actually rather misleading as the ferry times look really fast when in fact they are all over 24 hours. Brittany Ferries have put the departure day but not the arrival day :( except for Friday* which is given as a *2 night crossing in the notes.

Brittany Ferries do a good job transporting foot pilgrims from England over to Spain and France. They have been a part of the Camino for years and, personally the more people who experience the Camino the better without prejudice to age, race, wealth or gender.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a big fan of Brittany Ferries. If you are lucky enough to return to U.K. (and now new route Ireland!) via their routes it's a great way to gently adjust after your Camino walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back