• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bug spray

dokrando

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
starting from Tui
I am beginning my first Camino in about 2 week Starting in Tui. I am curious about the current need for bug spray. I am very susceptible to these little critters…they love to bite me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm also a mosquito-magnet. I'll be setting off on the Littoral on 28th September before switching to the Central at Vila do Conde. I'm assuming that my blood will be as delectable to Portuguese mosquitos as it is to French and Italian ones, and will be bringing and using Incognito spray, and have hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines for when the blighters do succeed in biting me.

On the plus side, for anyone else walking the Portuguese at the same time as me, you might be safe as they'll probably go for me instead of you (just as they leave my husband alone when he's with me).

IMO, bug spray is not necessary (multiple times of year, multiple routes). The only times I've been bitten on the camino is when there is a hotel room, by a lake or stream, and its hot so the window is open. Oh, and in Spain, they don't have screens. Generally. Why don't they have screens? Because you don't need bug spray...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Spain (my only caminos) I didn't encounter enough mosquitoes to bother with repellent. At home I generally use 25% DEET effectively. I haven't been thrilled with the effectiveness of picaridin. Just a few days ago I used some lemon eucalyptus oil and was impressed because I walked through swarms of mosquitoes with DEET covered Peg and only had two land on me. I think the problem with it and picaridin is you must cover every bit of skin or else the bugs will find the untreated area. Apparently DEET is strong enough to have treated areas cover the untreated areas too. That's just my opinion though.

As far as biting insects are concerned, I am ice-cream. So was my father.

Having said this, I have had very few problems with insect bites on any of the Caminos I have walked in Europe, apart from a few episodes with bedbugs.

I usually walk May to August and maybe September, mostly in Spain, but also UK, France and Italy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't recall any mosquitoes--just nasty biting flies in the tall grass outside Astorga (I think). Of course, it was in August and quite hot so maybe that's the only time they are there. They didn't bother me so much as my husband. Our other walks on the Frances have been in September and May. Didn't notice any noxious insects at those times. Lots of lovely butterflies, however.

I can recommend this DEET-free lotion. Bugs like me, too. They seem to bite wherever and whenever. This is nice because it is fragrance-free, gentle for sensitive skin, and moisturizing to boot. It also really works, at least for me:)

I can recommend this DEET-free lotion.
Picaridin in lotion form instead of spray. The three repellents I mentioned earlier I apply with a spray and that may be why I get uneven coverage and some bites with picaridin and the lemon eucalyptus oil. A lotion might be more effective on skin. A spray can be used on clothing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've never had problems with biting bugs in Galicia. My wife was shocked, seeing the woods we sometimes walked through, that they weren't filled with mosquitos like our local woods tend to be in the summer. But I've never had problems there.

Now walking along the Canal de Castilla on the Camino de Madrid is another story. But that is far from where you will be walking.

I recently finished The Norte and in Galicia alone, I did get several bug bites. In SDC, I got three of which turned into large annoying blisters. In Asturia, I was swarmed by mosquitoes and in one night, had over 100 bites. I had a couple dozen just on my face!
I know this is not the norm but if you are like me, a big magnet, and were allergic as a kid and suddenly allergic again in Spain (😂) you might really suffer. I recommend having bug spray. They sell a really good one in all the pharmacies there that really works and doesn’t smell too awful.

I am beginning my first Camino in about 2 week Starting in Tui. I am curious about the current need for bug spray. I am very susceptible to these little critters…they love to bite me. Thanks!
I did the CF in June of 2022. The main issue I had with bugs was little face flies. They were not biting insects but very annoying. If Spanish face flies are anything like California face flies, the problem only gets worse in the hotter months because they are in search of water. I found that spraying my hat with Permethrin spray I brought along for bed bugs (which I never used for that purpose) helped a lot. When they got really bad, I'd put a small amount of a DEET containing cream (Ultrathon brand) on my neck and forehead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMO, bug spray is not necessary (multiple times of year, multiple routes). The only times I've been bitten on the camino is when there is a hotel room, by a lake or stream, and its hot so the window is open. Oh, and in Spain, they don't have screens. Generally. Why don't they have screens? Because you don't need bug spray...
I have a feeling that you are not a mosquito magnet, like my husband. Even when a stray mosquito, not coming after me, bites him, his bites do not swell alarmingly, itch terribly, nor make him look lumpy. I recall hiking in Yosemite in winter in the snow. The sun came out for a bit. So did mosquitoes. They came after our son and me. None bothered my husband and daughter. So for anyone like you, who does not attract mosquitoes, what if you respect another’s far different experiences?

This afternoon I was on the phone with a friend who had been camping amongst mosquitoes and we talked about mosquitoes and repellents. Not long afterward my YouTube feed brought up a video about the same. I sent an email and since then I figured "Why not send the email here too?" So, here it is:

... about repellents, this just came up on my YouTube feed. Probably the best video on the stuff (DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, IR3535) that I've come upon. Try, try to ignore the CGI mosquitoes.

youtube video id: gOlf1ORDQYs

This afternoon I was on the phone with a friend who had been camping amongst mosquitoes and we talked about mosquitoes and repellents. Not long afterward my YouTube feed brought up a video about the same. I sent an email and since then I figured "Why not send the email here too?" So, here it is:

... about repellents, this just came up on my YouTube feed. Probably the best video on the stuff (DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, IR3535) that I've come upon. Try, try to ignore the CGI mosquitoes.

youtube video id: gOlf1ORDQYs

Deet also lasts for 20+ years. We still have backpacking sized bottles of Deet bug spray and cream. They survived the 2018 Woolsey Fire and smoke damage, and they still ward off the mosquitoes. BTW, in my experience as a longtime mosquito magnet, the natural deterrents, e.g., citronella, eucalyptus oil, etc. did nothing to make me less enticing to mosquitoes. However, for major health reasons, I take daily megadoses of vitamin B12. I no longer attract mosquitoes. They now pass me by, and instead bite my husband.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did not encounter any mosquitos in the last week on the CP central… but definitely take precautions against bedbugs!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back