• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bulnes to Refugio Jou de los Cabrones

chitra0828

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All: I am a new member to this awesome forum and am looking for some advice on the above stated hike (we would hike up to the Refugio and then stay the night before hiking down next day).

For context, we've hiked a fair bit thru the Stubai alps, dolomites etc. We are not technical climbers just solid trampers:

(a) In the hike up to Refugio Jou de los Cabrones there is a section where we use a rope to get up the slope. Do we have to depend on the rope to find our way up or is it more like we are climbing up but using the rope for protection and to provide addl support? I am asking because neither my husband nor I could actually propel ourselves up a rope with a backpack and just depending on the rope to levitate ourselves up. But if it is like a low grade Via Ferrata we could climb up rocks while holding onto a rope that is doable. Can you advise?

(b) Once you get the rope section, the other side looked pretty steep. Can we find footings in the crevices and pretty much find our way down? It would be sad to overstate our skill level and get to that point and then be unable to go further.

(c) In checking out the hiking path at various points it almost seems like a social path. We will have Gaia GPS, but where would we find a paper map, and what else did you use to ensure you were on the right track? Or am I mis-stating and it's fairly well sign-posted?

(d) We are planning to do this hike (if we can) in late September 2023. Any ideas when the snow fall comes thru in these areas?

(e) Finally, are we better off Hiking up from Refugio Terenosa to Los Urrieles and then onto Jou de los Cabrones thus allowing us the ability to rappel DOWN that wall? Or its really no different?

Thanks for all your advice, and would much appreciate your insight on these points. Best Regards, Chitra

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All: I am a new member to this awesome forum and am looking for some advice on the above stated hike (we would hike up to the Refugio and then stay the night before hiking down next day).

Hi, @chitra0828,

Welcome to the forum. You may be lucky and find someone here on the forum who has walked this. But for the most part we focus on the many caminos de Santiago that criss-cross Spain.

I think you are much more likely to get good info from the people who have walked this route and who have posted their GPS tracks on wikiloc.com

If you’re not familiar with wikiloc, it is the most popular GPS app/website in Spain. It is an extremely friendly place, and I have frequently asked questions of the people who post the tracks. I inevitably get helpful responses very quickly. If you see a track on that list I linked to above that seems to be what you’re interested in doing, I would post a question in the comment section that is down on the bottom left part of every posted track. Doing it in Spanish will increase the chances that you will get good responses. Good luck!

Hi, @chitra0828,

Welcome to the forum. You may be lucky and find someone here on the forum who has walked this. But for the most part we focus on the many caminos de Santiago that criss-cross Spain.

I think you are much more likely to get good info from the people who have walked this route and who have posted their GPS tracks on wikiloc.com

If you’re not familiar with wikiloc, it is the most popular GPS app/website in Spain. It is an extremely friendly place, and I have frequently asked questions of the people who post the tracks. I inevitably get helpful responses very quickly. If you see a track on that list I linked to above that seems to be what you’re interested in doing, I would post a question in the comment section that is down on the bottom left part of every posted track. Doing it in Spanish will increase the chances that you will get good responses. Good luck!
Thank you let me do as you suggest, thanks a lot!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don' t know that route. But if you put on Youtube " Bulnes - Jou de los Cabrones" you' ll find a video " Poncebos - Jou de los Cabrones ( it starts in Poncebos). The part of the rope doesn' t seem very difficult according to this video.

Yes I did watch + I did as was suggested and posted on Wikiloc. The general consensus seems to be that it is more of an assist. The bigger issues are just weather above tree line (fog etc) and then markings can be confusing on the rocks so it's just something to evaluate.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back