• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino de Sagunto

filly

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Sagunto and aiming to reach Soria
Spurred on by my excellent experience on the Camino de la Lana last year, my aim this year is to hike this trail, specifically to visit Teruel, Albarracín (off trail but ‘cella vaut le détour!) and Soria. I am trying to cover Spain and am gradually moving eastwards.

There is little information and certainly no pilgrim infrastructure. Several of the links posted no longer ‘function’. However, Alan Sykes did post last year but only as far as Calayatud.. Douglas Johnson has the trails on his site but it is ‘theoretical’ in so far as he confirms he has not walked them..

Peregrina2000 speaks so highly of Soria - that was an incentive in itself!

My only option on this hike is to make my own way from Calayatud onwards. The trail is actually marked thanks to some enterprising Spaniards. However, my contact with them has not borne fruit.. They hike ‘backwards’ on occasion and this made me realise that they were driving to locations and making day walks… One day trail record is actually incorrect….

Most importantly, as Alan Sykes correctly stated, there is no accommodation near the trail after Calayatud. (Apparently a hostel in Aniñon but only 14kms further on.)

My solution is to have three very long days, with a fair amount of roadway, and to create my own trail. On the plus side, I have found good accommodation and will be spending two nights on occasion. I plan to post as I go along. Booking.com has been invaluable. Alan Sykes gives fabulous descriptions and historical, geographical background but little in terms of phone numbers and overnight locations.

I am flying to Valencia mid-May. Then beginning at Puerto de Sagunto. From Soria I shall take a bus to Logroño, spend a night there, then onwards by bus to Bilbao for two nights and flight back to the UK. Accommodation prices seem reasonable but certainly for solvent pilgrims only… I have noticed that prices generally in Spain are edging up towards a European norm. Booking early and out of the main season seems advisable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.