• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Pamplona-SJPP - Vital Camino Tricks

JoanneDoe

Time of past OR future Camino
2008 SJPP -SDC // 2010 SJPP - SDC // 2011 SJPP - SDC // 2013 SJPP - SDC
Bus Service Pamplona-SJPP
Checked at Pamplona’s Bus station today:
HOLY WEEK (22FEB till 08MAR): Daily service: Pamplona - SJPP
01MAY till October: Daily Service: Pamplona - SJPP
I was told at the management that if you are walking the Camino BEFORE May, you are asked to send as many emails as possible to: cyeboles@condesa.com . There might be an earlier service than planned. It all depends on you.

:arrow: SOME KEY-INSIGHTS FROM A 3-TIME CAMINO PILGRIM
(1) The Size of your Boots
When you buy your boots, the size of your boots should be ½ or 1 number bigger than your normal size. According to a Sports Shop assistant, the BEST way to know whether your boots fit or NOT is to:
a) sit on a low bench in the sports shop,
b) put one boot on,
c) bend your knee for- and downwards,
d) now put your index finger just behind your heel, your finger should fit in well behind your heel and reach right down to the sole: This is the space a swollen foot needs to increase…

(2) How to CLIMB A MOUNTAIN with almost NO EFFEORT AT ALL
(Advice from a Pyrenean mountaineer)
A. If you walk uphill:
a) Right foot out, BREATHE IN,
b) Left foot out, BREATHE OUT. And now, walking this way, find your personal rhythm.

B. If the hill is very steep:
a) Right foot out, BREATHE twice IN,
b) Left foot out, BREATHE twice OUT.

C) How NOT to lose your rhythm
a) NEVER EVER: Speak when walking uphill;
b) NEVER EVER: Look up to check HOW MUCH is still lost till the top.
Instead, distract your attention, concentrating on the terrain at your feet. You might find the most amazing stone formations, fossils or plants.

(3) :arrow: SOME VITAL CAMINO TRICKS
1) To avoid blisters: Cover your feet and toes with a thick layer of Vicks Vaporub.
2) To avoid Athlete’s foot: 1 TS of Mustard Powder in a bowl with hot water.
3) NEVER add any fabric softener (-conditioner) to ANY sportswear: which hence completely loses its paramount function and may become non-breathable and turn into a portable sauna…
4) Boots & Crammed Albergues: When albergues are crammed, put your boots into a trash bag and attach them to your backpack or bunk.
5) The ideal km budget: Do not walk more than 5 -17 km (maximum) in the first week, then increase from 11 to 21 km in the 2nd week, then increase from 15 to 25 km in the 3rd week and from then on your body does not query any more or less kilometres.
6) Backpack weight, a deciding factor when it comes to a successful pilgrimage OR NOT: Your backpack should cover a 10% of your PERSONAL weight (NOT MORE!) and it should contain everything you ACTUALLY NEED! All “might-need” items should DEFINITELY be discarded. You NEVER EVER need them!
7) Weight distribution: Put the items which should be handy in a small ultra-light 15l Daypack, which you carry in front and the rest into your 40l backpack. You might not complain about any back pain at all.
8) Backpack and Rain: Put a big trash bag (a bit bigger than the volume of your packs) into your back- and daypack and therein you stuff everything. You’ll have not have to complain about any wet items , nor any mouldy smell.
9) Your indispensable Camino Gear: should be fully made of light-weight Sportswear Fabric.
10) AN ADDITIONAL MOUNTAINEER’S ADVICE: It is better to put on 3-4 layers and little by little get rid of them -according to the increase in heat- or, vice versa, to put them on, according to the increase in cold, than ONLY having one thick pullover and a thick anorak for everything. [I walked under snow, hailstorms, torrential rain and 35 ºC in Spring].
11) Water in plastic bottles exposed to the Sun causes cancer (cf. JohnHopkin’sUniversity) .Use metal bottles or Platypus bottles instead.
:arrow: ULTREIA ET SUSEIA ,DEUS ADIUVA NOS! Buen Camino and God bless you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, great news on the bus as I am planning on arriving in Pamplona on Sep 16 and was wondering if the bus would still be running. How is the easiest way to get from the airport to the bus station?

I think the bus from the airport to Pamplona has stopped service, so you would have to walk off the airport to the city bus down the hill. As I walked to the taxi stand, I met a fellow pilgrim, and we shared a ride. So even if you are doomed to a taxi, you can fare share!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is the bus really operating early March?

It says until 8th of March on your post...

For me it would be quite handy as I'm arriving in Spain on March the 1st via Madri and I'm yet to plan how I'm getting to SJPP on this date.

Planning to start walking on the 2nd or 3rd of March!

:)

Ultreya!

Bus Pamplona-SJPP

:oops: So sorry for the blunder :oops:
Here comes the correction:

Checked at CONDA, the bus Company in charge of this service, at Pamplona’s Bus station:

Bus Service Pamplona-SJPP

:arrow: HOLY WEEK (22MAR till 08APR): Daily service: Pamplona - SJPP

:arrow: 01MAY till October: Daily Service: Pamplona - SJPP.

I was told at the management that if you are walking the Camino BEFORE May, you are asked to send as many emails as possible to the Bus Company: cyeboles@condesa.com . There might be an earlier service than planned. It all depends on you.

Good luck, and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Conda is now offering this information through ALSA:
station of origin station of destination departure arrival Duration retail price departure days
Pamplona Saint Jean De Pied De Port 14:00 15:45 1h 45min 20.0€ 22/03/2013 07/04/2013 LMXJVSD
So between March 22 and April 7, there will be a 1400 bus to SJPdP every day of the week.

They probably will add the May to September service at some time in the future.

Thanks JoanneDoe for your fantastic advice ... we start our Camino (first!!) on 1st April, 2013, so will be using your tips.

Note to falcon269 ... thanks for the update on the buses... we are a party of 4 who need to get from Pamplona to SJPP on 31st March (Easter Sunday). Do you know if we can pre-book tickets to secure our place on the bus? I have tried to get onto the Conda website and no luck at all ... any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
yogaflowjo said:
Thanks JoanneDoe for your fantastic advice ... we start our Camino (first!!) on 1st April, 2013, so will be using your tips.

Note to falcon269 ... thanks for the update on the buses... we are a party of 4 who need to get from Pamplona to SJPP on 31st March (Easter Sunday). Do you know if we can pre-book tickets to secure our place on the bus? I have tried to get onto the Conda website and no luck at all ... any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:arrow:
The Camino will be the most exciting and most everlasting experience of your life
TAKE YOUR TIME!!, DON'T RUSH: If you walk the Camino and if you've got eyes to SEE, ears to LISTEN, a nose to SMELL, a touch to FEEL and a spirit to MARVEL...AND...if you've got the capacity to see God behind everything and everybody that envelops you...,your heart will be ablaze with joy at the tiniest miracle about you and, what is more, your Camino will become a CAMINO OF GRACE. Your mind will eventually become idle, bereft of all things created, with no more desires and cavings, but with everything you need in your backpack and WITHIN yourself. [U.D.K]
Buen Camino
JoanneDoe
By the way, I start on 13MAR13.
After walking the Camino in Spring, Summer and Autumn: SPRING is definitely the most beautiful and all-comprehending season to walk the Camino ..for me.

Interesting list.
I've walked up steep hills, one step, one breath... It works very well.
Your body will tell you when you need to walk this way.

Buen Camino
David, Victoria, Canada.

skilsaw said:
Interesting list.
I've walked up steep hills, one step, one breath... It works very well.
Your body will tell you when you need to walk this way.

Buen Camino
David, Victoria, Canada.

Thanks for confirming, David.
:arrow: Climbing steep hills, matching your breath with your steps, not talking and not looking up: will make you arrive on top without puffing and panting and as fit as a fiddle.
I'm NOT exaggerating!
It actually DOES work perfectly.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It looks like it's going to be harder than I thought going to sjpp from pamplona on 1st of March :'(

There re no buses or trains... Express bourricot says they don't do this leg anymore, and I can't get to book any other type of transportation...

:shock:

Viebe .. I feel your pain .. Have tried buses , taxis to no avail ...

Falcon 269 .. Still no luck ... I cannot find a service between pamplona and sjpp .. Hire car out of the question .. No one way rentals into small towns ... Express bouricott no go.. Taxis ? Are they an option? Help please ... We are a party of 4 ( 2 mums and 2 x 14 yr old sons) ... My mother instincts are kicking in.. Our first camino ...only have 10 days (school restrictions) don't want to get stuck in Pamplona! Yikes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Joannedoe .. I feel your passion .. I am so excited about my first Camino ... I am walking with my 14 yr old son (and friends from UK) ...we only have 10 days on this ocassion due to school holiday restrictions (I teach to the school term and my son is a student) .. However these 10 days I consider a precious gift ... Our plan is to walk the camino over 2-3 trips over the next 12 months (we are in Australia).. Our long summer vacation break is Dec/jan .. Clearly this is the European winter ...Does anyone have any thoughts on walking Camino during this time (when as Aussies we are time rich yet weather poor!). :D

don't want to get stuck in Pamplona!
If you start in Pamplona, then you are not stuck there!

Maybe you are destined to start in Pamplona, and should yield to that inevitability. :D

Sept 12th of 2012, the bus from Roncesvalles to St. Jean had stopped for the winter season. They worried about snow blocked passes. No taxi available. So, my Camino started in Roncesvalles.

We pushed too hard the first few days out of Roncesvalles. Very challenging initially. Should have dialed back to shorter distances in the beginning. This created bad blisters. Be very conservative the first few days. you are in training.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wise words falcon269... maybe the universe is trying to tell us something ... its just that we dearly want to start from SJPP and do the entire Camino over several O/S trips... we don't care how long it takes. We want to start at the beginning, and pick up where we left off on each occasion for that sense of continuity ... I will continue my quest to get us into SJPP so any words of advice from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for all of the help so far, I feel very humbled to be part of such a wonderfully helpful Camino community. :wink:

I think the usual Bus from pamplona to Roncesvalles at 18:30 operates normally in March...

If I can't find transportation to sjpp I'll certainly try to get this bus and trying to call a taxi in Roncesvalles, if I can't find taxis, then I will have to start in Roncesvalles.

This is a terrible scenario for me, as I just love to start the Camino in SJPP.... I will be very frustrated if I can't manage to find out a way to go to sjpp on March the 1st

:-o

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
vlebe said:
I think the usual Bus from pamplona to Roncesvalles at 18:30 operates normally in March...

If I can't find transportation to sjpp I'll certainly try to get this bus and trying to call a taxi in Roncesvalles, if I can't find taxis, then I will have to start in Roncesvalles.

This is a terrible scenario for me, as I just love to start the Camino in SJPP.... I will be very frustrated if I can't manage to find out a way to go to sjpp on March the 1st

:-o

:!: THERE WILL ALWAYS BE TAXIS IN RONCESVALLES!!
Here is the phone one of the taxi drivers gave me: TAXI DEL PIRINEO, Andoni Urolategui, (Taxi for 9 persons): Tel.:00-34-948-790218 or CellPhone:00-34-636-191423
Taxis even come from the near-by villages.
The owners of either Hostals "La Posada" or "Casa Sabina" or the hospedero of the the new Convent Albergue will be willing to call a taxi.
I have NEVER EVER had had any difficulties in getting a taxi for SJPP in Roncesvalles.
BUEN CAMINO!

yogaflowjo said:
Hi grayland ... Which airport and how much was the taxi?? TA Jo

I've just phoned the taxi driver:
It's 8 guests and with him 9 persons...(his card says "9 persons")
The price for the TAXI RONCESVALLES - SJPP is 10€ per person.
BUEN CAMINO :!:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have also found, aside from the breathing, that when walking up steep hills it also helps to zig-zag rather than walking straight up. That trick has helped me immensely.

daesdaemar said:
I have also found, aside from the breathing, that when walking up steep hills it also helps to zig-zag rather than walking straight up. That trick has helped me immensely.

You are definitely right: Zig-zagging -aside from breathing, as you say- helps very much climb steep mountains, IF the trail is broad enough.
When I criss-cross climbed the Pyrenees, breathing & zig-zagging brought me up to the highest peak with "almost" no effort...
ULTREIA ET SUSEIA!

Thank you all fellow pilgrims!

I just need to really confirm that the pamplona - Roncesvalles 6pm bus will be operating that day (do you know where can I check that?).

Then I'll try to call the taxi beforehand from Brazil, so he'll be waiting for me at 19:00 to take me to sjpp.

That would be the cheaper option (I'm running a very very tidy budget), however if I'm willing to pay around 90 euros I could get the taxi at pamplona train station at 3pm and be in SJPP by 4 with a lot of time to find lodging and supplies for the first day...

Tricky decision...

Money vs Time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The ALSA bus is operating 22/03/2013 07/04/2013, then again starting at some unknown date in May. If you are there on March 1, the bus service to SJPdP will not start for another 3 weeks.

The other bus is Monday through Saturday. On Saturday it departs at 1600 rather than 1800.
Línea de autobús - Pamplona - Orreaga / Roncesvalles - Jaurrieta
Recorrido

Pamplona - Villava - Huarte - Olloki - Zabaldika - Antxoritz - Zuriain - Cruce Idoi - Larrasoaña - Urdaitz / Urdániz - Zubiri- Agorreta - Zilbeti - Erro - Lintzoain - Bizkarreta - Cruce Mezkiritz - Aurizberri / Espinal - Auritz / Burguete - Orreaga / Roncesvalles - Garralda - Aribe - Garaioa - Abaurrepea / Abaurrea Baja - Abaurregaina / Abaurrea Alta - Jaurrieta
Hora de salida

INFORMACIÓN OBTENIDA EL DÍA 18/12/12:

18:00 h.: de lunes a viernes.

16:00 h.: sábados.

Domingos y festivos no hay servicio.

Servicio hasta Jaurrieta: SOLO viernes y sábados (previa petición telefónica).

El día 24 y 31 de diciembre el servicio se adelanta a las 15:00 h.
Hora de llegada

INFORMACIÓN OBTENIDA EL DÍA 18/12/12:

vlebe said:
Thank you all fellow pilgrims!

I just need to really confirm that the pamplona - Roncesvalles 6pm bus will be operating that day (do you know where can I check that?).

Then I'll try to call the taxi beforehand from Brazil, so he'll be waiting for me at 19:00 to take me to sjpp.

That would be the cheaper option (I'm running a very very tidy budget), however if I'm willing to pay around 90 euros I could get the taxi at pamplona train station at 3pm and be in SJPP by 4 with a lot of time to find lodging and supplies for the first day...

Tricky decision...

Money vs Time

Hi vlebe,
I've just phoned the Bus Station in Pamplona (00-34-902-023-651):

BUS PAMPLONA - RONCESVALLES: All Year except on Sundays- Fare: 6€

WINTER:
----MON-FRI: 18:00h and SAT: 16:00h

SUMMER (July & August):
---Morning Bus : Possibly at 9:30 or 10 a.m. The lady could give me no further info at moment.
---Afternoon Bus: as known: MON-FRI: 18:00h and SAT: 16:00h.

BUEN CAMINO!

You guys are stars!
Thank you very much indeed!

I guess I could buy extra food in pamplona during afternoon then eat before the bus takes off and when I get to sjpp just go straight to refúgio and sleep and rest from the 20+ hours trip so I can start well rested on the 2nd.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
vlebe said:
You guys are stars!
Thank you very much indeed!

I guess I could buy extra food in pamplona during afternoon then eat before the bus takes off and when I get to sjpp just go straight to refúgio and sleep and rest from the 20+ hours trip so I can start well rested on the 2nd.

Buen Camino!

Hi Brazilian Pilgrim,
In my humble Camino opinion :oops:, THAT's a very sensible plan!!! :wink: CONGRATULATIONS!!

2 SUPERMARKETS CLOSE TO THE BUS STATION IN PAMPLONA:(They don't close at lunchtime).

1) Quite close to the Bus Station, there's an Eroski City supermarket at Nr. 7, SANCHO EL MAYOR STREET.That is, when you get out of the Bus Station, you turn left and walk up to the first roundabout (there's a big white statue). There, at the pedestrian traffic light post, you turn right, towards a big white building (Seguridad Social, Conde Oliveto). From there you walk a bit on up to another pedestrian traffic light post to your left. There you cross over to the other side of CONDE OLIVETO Street, but, instead of walking into that Pedestrian Area, where there is a lovely Cafetería (Manterola) (on the roght) and where you can get a lovely cup of tea and a "Toast with Marmalade" ('Tostada')..., you turn right and walk on up to the 2nd roundabout. The first street to your left is SANCHO EL MAYOR and just in front of a big Toy Shop to your left, there's the Eroski City Supermarkt.

2) There is ALSO a supermarkt (but more expensive) at the Corte Inglés (basement). The CORTE INGLÉS is close to/opposite the above mentioned Cafetería Manterola. That is, walking a bit further on, on the left. There you can find everything: from Sports items (5th OR 6th floor: DEPORTES)to ...marmalade, fresh fish and flowers...
Good luck and
BUEN CAMINO!

yogaflowjo said:
Joannedoe .. I feel your passion .. I am so excited about my first Camino ... I am walking with my 14 yr old son (and friends from UK) ...we only have 10 days on this ocassion due to school holiday restrictions (I teach to the school term and my son is a student) .. However these 10 days I consider a precious gift ... Our plan is to walk the camino over 2-3 trips over the next 12 months (we are in Australia).. Our long summer vacation break is Dec/jan .. Clearly this is the European winter ...Does anyone have any thoughts on walking Camino during this time (when as Aussies we are time rich yet weather poor!). :D

Hi yogaflowjo,
Thanks for your note!
You'll get hooked on the Camino, I promise.
When walking your 10-day Camino, try to avoid trails close to highways or country roads and you'll LOVE the Camino, as you're enveloped by the purest Nature of all and its very own secrets.

As to your question about whether to walk the Camino in winter is advisable: There is NO day when there is NO PILGRIM passing Pamplona. Naturally, it'll be COLD, there'll be RAIN, strong wWINDS, SNOW and MUD up to your back teeth, but it will be marvellous!! I know about an American couple who have already walked their 3rd Winter Camino and that in December and January!! They prefer the Winter Camino.There ARE people who DO walk the Camino in Winter.

As you've already noticed, I live in Pamplona. I've been living here for the last ...years. Got to Spain when I was 26 and have never ever left it again, as it is the most amazing country with the MOST LOVELY PEOPLE, AND: close to the sea and the Pyrenees (some 100 km only).
BUEN CAMINO!

Thanks so much again joane! You are just too kind :)

There is NO day when there is NO PILGRIM passing Pamplona.
No doubt true, but there were only three pilgrims per day leaving SJPdP this January, so there may not be a lot of pilgrims in winter! If they cluster, or stop in non-standard places, you may not see anyone for days. It is worth thinking about how comfortable one would be, male or female, being alone in a cold, strange place. At a minimum, one would have plenty of time to think! :D

falcon269 said:
There is NO day when there is NO PILGRIM passing Pamplona.
No doubt true, but there were only three pilgrims per day leaving SJPdP this January, so there may not be a lot of pilgrims in winter! If they cluster, or stop in non-standard places, you may not see anyone for days. It is worth thinking about how comfortable one would be, male or female, being alone in a cold, strange place. At a minimum, one would have plenty of time to think! :D

Hi Falcón,
...Three pilgrims a day in January, WOW!!
I was only talking of ONE...
A winter pilgrimage in no panacea at all, as I've already pinted out, but feasible if the stages are kept short.
My reply was for the Australian pilgrim whose ONLY possibility to walk in DEC/JAN.
Buen Camino
(Pilgrim from Pamplona)

feasible if the stages are kept short.
I found that in the first week of March, the albergues in small towns were closed, so my intended short stages did not work! Most of the major stops were open, particularly when there was more than one albergue. For example, the Azofra albergue was closed, but the one up at the church was open. It seems to close in the summer months! I was talking more about the number of pilgrims that are around. The winter will be a very solitary experience, though the possibility of finding the perfect walking partner is always present. You don't need sheer numbers for that!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
falcon269 said:
feasible if the stages are kept short.
I found that in the first week of March, the albergues in small towns were closed, so my intended short stages did not work! Most of the major stops were open, particularly when there was more than one albergue. For example, the Azofra albergue was closed, but the one up at the church was open. It seems to close in the summer months! I was talking more about the number of pilgrims that are around. The winter will be a very solitary experience, though the possibility of finding the perfect walking partner is always present. You don't need sheer numbers for that!

You see, I'm normally a solitary pilgrim who avoids crowds, loud people and crammed places. I actually prefer to walk alone but DO welcome to meet my 'Camino Family' in the evening.
If I were to walk the Camino in DEC/JAN, I would ALSO -as you say- form a group with other fellow-pilgrims.
As to albergues in early March, you are right, many are closed but there are always pensions, bars with a room, hostals or other alternatives.
I'll soon be walking the Camino again - BUEN CAMINO!

NCfishboy said:
Thanks, great news on the bus as I am planning on arriving in Pamplona on Sep 16 and was wondering if the bus would still be running. How is the easiest way to get from the airport to the bus station?

There is a bus from the Madrid airport (Barajas) to Pamplona. See movelia.es

6) Backpack weight, a deciding factor when it comes to a successful pilgrimage OR NOT: Your backpack should cover a 10% of your PERSONAL weight (NOT MORE!) and it should contain everything you ACTUALLY NEED! All “might-need” items should DEFINITELY be discarded. You NEVER EVER need them!
7) Weight distribution: Put the items which should be handy in a small ultra-light 15l Daypack, which you carry in front and the rest into your 40l backpack. You might not complain about any back pain at all.

Can someone please explain the above to me.

So if I am 160 pounds then the math would be;

160 x .10 = 16.

Therefore, my backpack should be only 16 pounds maximum? That seems awefully light especially if it is stated that 15 pounds should be on the front while 40 should be on my back.

Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thank you so much.
Noto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there. When you talk weight are you including tare weight of your pack and water carried. I will be commencing on the 28/29th April and have managed to get down to the, what I believe is the minimum for me, and that is at 7.2kgs. Add 1.5 - 2.0 liters water plus pack at 1.2 kgs and I,m at 10.5kgs.
I train with this and find it quite OK. I am 185cm and 82kgs so will be slightly over the 10% everyone talks about.
Good luck because I feel I will need everything I am down to at this stage.

Regards

Graeme

Hello friends. I start in May 16 and my idea was to arrive to Barcelona then a train to Pamplona and a Conda bus to SJPDP. Today I was going around the conda website but I notice they are not offering the route from Pamplona to SJPDP anymore. I sent an email to them to see if this was something temporary but I haven't got any answers yet. In case this plan can work I will appreciate if someone can tell me how I can get from Pamplona to SJPDP.

I think a bus to Roncesvalles and from there a (shared) taxi to sjpp with express bourricot.

I think a bus to Roncesvalles and from there a (shared) taxi to sjpp with express bourricot.
Where can I get the taxi? Is in the same bus stop in Roncesvalles or I have to go to other place?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From March 1, 2015, ALSA has posted at bus from Pamplona to Biarritz that includes a stop in SJPdP. It still does not show up in a search for SJPdP. Considering the money that ALSA makes from pilgrims, they could be a bit less coy about announcing this service!!!

upload_2015-2-17_7-48-59.png

The fare is 30E to Biarritz, but probably is 20E to SJPdP.

From March 1, 2015, ALSA has posted at bus from Pamplona to Biarritz that includes a stop in SJPdP. It still does not show up in a search for SJPdP. Considering the money that ALSA makes from pilgrims, they could be a bit less coy about announcing this service!!!

View attachment 16441

The fare is 30E to Biarritz, but probably is 20E to SJPdP.
Do you know if at some point we are going to be able to buy the tickect in their website or we have to do it in person?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if at some point we are going to be able to buy the tickect in their website
At some point! :)

I think "in person" will work virtually 100% of the time. This bus leaves from the Pamplona bus station, but drivers sell tickets at any stop on any route. I remain bewildered why ALSA does not keep this route on its website permanently. It has become an annual addition, and many runs on many routes come and go during the year; the start and end dates of the service are clearly listed on the schedule. It may have to do with a French reluctance to permanently approve international service. Train service between France and Spain has been political for over a century. Rail gauge difference is but one symptom. I think Madrid is still afraid that Napolean will conquer Spain if access is made easy...

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.