• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus/train - From Santiago to Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal litoral from Porto
Hello. Can anyone help with times for bus or train. Back to Porto
From Santiago
Kind regards Andrew

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
- use Rome2Rio to check what companies operate that route (Alsa, Flixbus, Renfe, etc)
- go to their websites and check their schedules and prices

It's better to learn where to find the information than to rely on other people to give you the answers, especially because schedules change, our plans change, etc.
If we know where to find the information, we will always be "safe"

Now, answering your question, it's too early to have all the schedules for July

Way too early for the summer timetables to be published. That often doesn't happen more than a couple of months in advance. If you look at the current bus timetables from ALSA and Flixbus you should get a general idea of what is available - the times don't usually alter all that much.

Perfect to be honest I was just wanting to know. I can get bus or train back to Porto
Regards Andrew

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From Santiago
Kind regards Andrew

It's probably too early to purchase the tickets but there's a couple trains and a couple buses a day.

Check the Rome to Rio website or app. Also Google maps website or app is good.

Once you decide if you want to take a bus or a train go to the Spanish national bus website, ALSA, or the Spanish national train website RENFE to book. Or Flixbus seems to do it also.

If you don't know what we're talking about, here's a link that will show Santiago to Porto:

Excellent information. Had a Quick Look. Yes I don’t think the times will change much. I’ll be in Santiago at least 2 days before heading home. I can get plane from Edinburgh to Porto. Was hoping to get a flight from Santiago back but can’t find any flights.
Thanks so much for your help
Andrew

Way too early for the summer timetables to be published. That often doesn't happen more than a couple of months in advance. If you look at the current bus timetables from ALSA and Flixbus you should get a general idea of what is available - the times don't usually alter all that much.
Flixbus and Alsa load their schedules quite early. This route is loaded up to 30 June at mo on both. At mo Alsa much cheaper and more buses.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Was hoping to get a flight from Santiago back but can’t find any flights.
Andrew
You just have to know which websites to look at that give you the clearest information. For flights, I found the best thing to check his Google flights. I quickly checked flights from Santiago to Edinburgh on July 12 and there were flights, but they cost an arm and a leg, and take forever:

Thanks again had a look 👀 you’re right very expensive plus a long layover. However I’ve got something to work with
I’m doing the walk with my young niece.
Normally I just wing it
I’ll keep looking
Thanks Stephen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From Santiago
Kind regards Andrew
Renfe is the line. We are traveling the other direction in April - there are two departure times then so assume there are two as well going the other direction. Load ROME2RIO app - will tell you how to get anywhere and link to sites to buy tickets.

Excellent information. Had a Quick Look. Yes I don’t think the times will change much. I’ll be in Santiago at least 2 days before heading home. I can get plane from Edinburgh to Porto. Was hoping to get a flight from Santiago back but can’t find any flights.
Andrew
There were Ryanair flights direct from Edinburgh to Santiago. Alas not this year. Your plans are probably spot on

ALSA have 3 buses daily from Santiago to Porto, They stop first at the airport in Porto .The bus times are 9.30,am, 11.30 and 6.00 pm. The 9.30 arrives at Porto airport at 11.55.
They go from the bus station in Santiago. It is advisable to buy tickets in advance as there can sometimes be slow moving queues. If you are now sure of the plane you want to get you could buy your bus tickets well in advance. Buen Camino to you both. Lydia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
ALSA have 3 buses daily from Santiago to Porto, They stop first at the airport in Porto .The bus times are 9.30,am, 11.30 and 6.00 pm. The 9.30 arrives at Porto airport at 11.55.
They go from the bus station in Santiago. It is advisable to buy tickets in advance as there can sometimes be slow moving queues. If you are now sure of the plane you want to get you could buy your bus tickets well in advance. Buen Camino to you both. Lydia
Thank you so much.Lydia Honestly everyone is this app are so helpful. Like I’ve been saying the more information the better.
Andrew

From Santiago
Kind regards Andrew
I've taken the Alsa bus from Santiago Bus Station to Porto Airport a few times. It takes 31/2hours (longer into Porto itself). I seem to remember that there are about 4 buses a day, but the schedule won't be available yet. It's easy to book and pay online and you get a ticket on your mobile.

I've taken the Alsa bus from Santiago Bus Station to Porto Airport a few times. It takes 31/2hours (longer into Porto itself). I seem to remember that there are about 4 buses a day, but the schedule won't be available yet. It's easy to book and pay online and you get a ticket on your mobile.
Fantastic news thank you 🙏 I’m so looking forward to this trip. I think we can walk the coastal Portuguese 9/10 days. Depending how we feel maybe a rest day therefore I might wait till we’re halfway there then book
Thanks for advice
Regards Andrew

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From Santiago
Kind regards Andrew
Schedules only come out about 4-6 weeks prior.

When I went, there were a couple of trains per day, connecting at least once enroute, and an early (nonstop) bus…slightly more expensive.

Bus gives you choice of multiple stops in Porto, so you can be closer to your destination (and jump on subway to complete the trip)

Andrew, all the best. Yes, the bus to Porto seems a good idea.
You could be inventive and try other lateral routes - for example, Porto to Dublin and then back home to Embru. Ryanair might reinstate a flight route before you need to travel. It is a great route, Porto to Santiago. 👣👣

Since you will be traveling during a busy time, I recommend that once you are nearing Santiago, and know what day you need to travel from Santiago, it is best to buy the tickets a few days ahead.
I made the mistake of waiting to buy a ticket 1 day ahead, and some of the bus times were already sold out!! So I was just fortunate to get on any bus the following day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since you will be traveling during a busy time, I recommend that once you are nearing Santiago, and know what day you need to travel from Santiago, it is best to buy the tickets a few days ahead.
I made the mistake of waiting to buy a ticket 1 day ahead, and some of the bus times were already sold out!! So I was just fortunate to get on any bus the following day.
Thanks for the advice. It’s always appreciated. Especially Advice
Andrew

Reading my previous post, one might come to the conclusion that the journey takes 2 and a half hours, whereas Gwen reckons 3 and a half. The reason being that Portugal is one hour behind Spanish time.

In planning our flights, initially thought we would go round trip from the US to Porto thru Madrid. Then I checked flying into Porto and out of Santiago… same price!
This may be unique for anyone that has to connect thru Madrid - suggest checking it out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back