• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathroom stops from Santiago to Porto via bus

Jeepl8d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
Does anyone know if the ALSA bus to Porto makes bathroom stops? Traveling with a younger child and a 4 hour trip may be to much with no break. Thanks so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anyone know if the ALSA bus to Porto makes bathroom stops? Traveling with a younger child and a 4 hour trip may be to much with no break. Thanks so much!
Think Alsa buses have toilets on international trips though it’s a fair old effort even as a man standing up to go in there and not bang your head against something as not a lot of space so probably not the easiest with a young child, but you can probably leave the door slightly ajar and maintain a highish level of privacy for him/her!

The Flixbus buses have toilets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've never been on a long distance bus that doesn't a) have a toilet or b) doesn't stop for toilet/ coffee/ smoking breaks from time to time, or c) both.

The spanish/portuguese long distance busses I took usually had a better routine for breaks than the flixbus.

Once we were even dropped off the bus at a restaurant with vouchers for a full menu during lunchtime. So the whole busload of passengers had lunch together at one giant table, it was almost like a last pilgrims menu on the way back home!

Of course that's not the norm. But I only had good experience with Alsa and also other spanish and portuguese bus lines. Toilet normally shouldn't be an issue.

Safe travels!

I took this bus last fall. As somebody else mentioned, there is a toilet on board (which I did not use, so no review on that.).

I remember the bus made three stops, Vigo, Braga, and Porto Airport, before the main Porto Bus Station..

Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of the buses I travelled on have toilets, there has been the occasional one with no toilet. For an aging gentleman with a bladder issue. Yikes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my experience, all the intercity ALSA buses have on-board bathrooms. It is located at he rear stairs.

I took the Alsa bus from Santiago to Porto last October. There were no stops longer than 5 minutes, but there was a toilet on the bus. It was unmarked but next to the exit door about halfway to the back of the bus on the passenger side.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They stopped 2 times in 2018.

Just travelled Santiago to Rennes with Flixbus. Having slight claustrophobia, I try to avoid the on bus loo, but we had several stops, between 10 and 25 mins en route. Make sure you're back at the bus on time as there is no checking system. Saying that, the 21 hour journey was pretty good.
Good to hear you had a good experience. I use Flixbus a lot in Europe and with the odd exception am very impressed! Easy to book app, good services, and you can ‘refund’ even the cheapest fare albeit to a voucher not cash. Always worth a check of you need a bus Europe. I have noticed they have a big presence in USA, and will probably book a couple of trips with them, but I think services operated by other coach companies?

I travelled quite a lot on ALSA buses this year, and there was always a toilet. You will need a euro coin to use it. From memory, the service my wife and I used from Santiago to Porto stopped at Vigo, Valenca, Porto airport then Campanha, but never for long. If you wanted to use the toilets at these places, I would make sure to tell the driver.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I travelled quite a lot on ALSA buses this year, and there was always a toilet. You will need a euro coin to use it. From memory, the service my wife and I used from Santiago to Porto stopped at Vigo, Valenca, Porto airport then Campanha, but never for long. If you wanted to use the toilets at these places, I would make sure to tell the driver.
You had to pay €1 to use bathroom on bus?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never paid to use the toilet on an Alsa bus.

Me neither !
When did you last travel on one? I travelled twice from Santiago to Coimbra earlier this year, and many times between Coimbra and both Porto and Lisbon. All the buses I was on required a coin. If there are some buses that don't, being prepared won't hurt. On the other hand, if the OP is not prepared, and doesn't have a euro coin when one is needed, that could be very embarrassing!

Paying to get into a toilet at bus stations varies, but one should expect to do that too. I would recommend having some small change available for that as well.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Santiago to Porto earlier this year on ALSA there were no ‘bathroom’ stops; but there was a lavatory on the bus. I didn’t use it; but did note that the door was - at least by design if not in practice - coin operated.

Santiago to Porto earlier this year on ALSA there were no ‘bathroom’ stops;
Yes. While the buses that I took on this route stopped at Vigo, Velenca and Porto airport, it was only ever enough time for passengers to get off and on. There was a longer break, perhaps 30 mins or so, at Campanha for those going further south. On a different service, one passenger did use the toilets at a bus station we had stopped at, but obviously took the precaution of telling the driver. I only ever recall the drivers doing a headcount after a long stop like Campanha, so if they haven't been told you have left the bus and need to get back on, I wouldn't expect them to wait.

When did you last travel on one? I travelled twice from Santiago to Coimbra earlier this year, and many times between Coimbra and both Porto and Lisbon. All the buses I was on required a coin. If there are some buses that don't, being prepared won't hurt. On the other hand, if the OP is not prepared, and doesn't have a euro coin when one is needed, that could be very embarrassing!

Paying to get into a toilet at bus stations varies, but one should expect to do that too. I would recommend having some small change available for that as well.
Thank you for clarifying @dougfitz …. Not used ALSA since probably April/May and will use them in a few weeks Madrid to Alicante. Guessing there may be a difference domestic and international….or maybe all have changed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

January 2023 overnight from Barcelona to Oviedo.

It seems to be a domestic v international thing judging by their official site and the experiences on here. Probably done about 30 Alsa journies in last couple of years and never paid but all domestic within Spain. So the OP is travelling internationally, so euros at the ready as you suggest. Seems hit and miss at stations. Defo didn’t pay when I used at Valencia a lot last summer when I was living there for a few months, but sure I have at others. Doing Madrid to Alicante in a month or so, so will see. Tend to avoid onboard toilets as claustrophobic, balance ain’t what big used to be and seems a fair chance of banging your head or getting a black eye!!!

Possibly different fleets do international vs domestic and there may even be different legal requirements-I don’t know! Think domestically there is a ‘length or journey’ aspect as to whether toilets are offered.
That make me wonder if they have only fitted part of their bus fleet with this 'feature'.

Last edited:

€46,-
I was on a bus tour of Italy a number of years ago and the tour guide told us not to use the toilet at the stairwell unless a dire emergency. We stopped at cafeteria style gas stations en route and we were requested to use those facilities. I never saw anyone use the bus toilet.
In the US, it seems most of the coach style buses have a bathroom in the back with a full size, stand up style door which definitely looks more "inviting".

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back