• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buses schedule Pamplona to SJPDP in December

Junethepilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi. I'm looking for way to go from Pamplona to Saint Jean in 30 or 31th day in December 2022. I checked Alsa homepage but It seems to be no buses to Saint Jean(or it could be homepage error.. ). I heard theres regular buses to Saint Jean... Anyone knows that bus is still available?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is usually a bus, but I don't see any tickets available for those dates. Possibly they are full or not running due to holidays. You may need to take a taxi or if you doing the Camino you could consider starting in Pamplona.

Hi. I'm looking for way to go from Pamplona to Saint Jean in 30 or 31th day in December 2022. I checked Alsa homepage but It seems to be no buses to Saint Jean(or it could be homepage error.. ). I heard theres regular buses to Saint Jean... Anyone knows that bus is still available?

Probably you will already know that the Napoleon pass is closed and you will have to walk via Valcarlos but it always is a good reminder for those who embark in this time of the year from Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On my arrival in Pamplona in mid April 2015 the buses were not running yet from there to SJPdP for the spring season. Another time in April they were minimally operating, but the times did not coordinate well for us, so we arranged taxi service.

I see the OP had asked specifically about December, but obviously even trickling into spring the routes are still nil early on or have significantly reduced service.

Last edited:
Even in the recent past when ALSA/CONDA had more buses running they did not provide service between Pamplona and SJPdP in December, January and February.

Edit: I got the following from an older post of mine. I'm going to post it to this thread again so people who have read this post already will also see it.

Roughly the ALSA/CONDA schedule for the pre-covid years has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service

Lately the service has been starting later in the year and ending sooner than it has been. Also the number of buses run per day has been less.

Last edited:
There is usually a bus, but I don't see any tickets available for those dates. Possibly they are full or not running due to holidays. You may need to take a taxi or if you doing the Camino you could consider starting in Pamplona.
That is not the reason why there are no tickets available for December 30 and 31. The ALSA bus service between Pamplona and Saint Jean Pied de Port ended on October 12 this year - see this post: "I have just had it confirmed from Alsa". It will start again in spring 2023.

This year they published their schedule in March and the service started on April 1 - see this post: "The Spanish bus company Alsa has just posted its schedule". It will presumably be the same next year.

See also the relevant subforum for more up to date information and tips about transport between Pamplona and Roncesvalles or SJPP: Topics Related to all Routes - 🧳 Traveling & Transport to/from/along the camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This year they published their schedule in March and service started on April 1. It will presumably be the same next year.
Starting service on April 1st does not necessarily mean it will be running a full schedule that early. It wasn't my experience in mid-April 2015/2017 when I had to default to using taxis. The service definitely increases as the pilgrim season gets busier.

Starting service on April 1st does not necessarily mean it will be running a full schedule that early. It wasn't my experience in mid-April 2015/2017 when I had to default to using taxis. The service definitely increases as the pilgrim season gets busier.
Unfortunately, that was not the case in 2022. ALSA offered a single daily connection for Pamplona to SJPP throughout the pilgrimage season from April to October, leaving daily at noon and arriving at 1:45 pm in SJPP IIRC.

Anyway, I mentioned this year's publication date (middle of March for schedule from April 1) because there are likely to be more questions in the coming weeks about buses from Pamplona to SJPP in January, February and March 2023 so that people are aware of the fact that they may have to be patient before they know departure times and ticket prices for their upcoming Camino.

Many of us pilgrims flying internationally from the US arrive in Madrid in the mid morning. It is difficult to take a bus from the airport or the train out of Atocha station and arrive in Pamplona in time to catch the only bus option at Noon.

I think the idea is that you spend an enjoyable evening in Pamplona and have sufficiently recovered by noon the following day to enjoy the bus ride
Many of us pilgrims flying internationally from the US arrive in Madrid in the mid morning. It is difficult to take a bus from the airport or the train out of Atocha station and arrive in Pamplona in time to catch the only bus option at Noon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That is not the reason why there are no tickets available for December 30 and 31. The ALSA bus service between Pamplona and Saint Jean Pied de Port ended on October 12 this year - see this post: "I have just had it confirmed from Alsa". It will start again in spring 2023.

This year they published their schedule in March and the service started on April 1 - see this post: "The Spanish bus company Alsa has just posted its schedule". It will presumably be the same next year.

See also the relevant subforum for more up to date information and tips about transport between Pamplona and Roncesvalles or SJPP: Topics Related to all Routes - 🧳 Traveling & Transport to/from/along the camino.
Im planning on a Camino next October and was told there is no bus service after mid October from Pamplona to SJPP. This is every year. I plan on getting and possibly sharing a taxi from Pamplona.

In winter no busses from Pamplona to SJPDP only busses to Roncesvalles and after taxi to SJPDP. It's better to start at Rocesvalles cause "route Napoléon " is closed

I think the idea is that you spend an enjoyable evening in Pamplona and have sufficiently recovered by noon the following day to enjoy the bus ride
An option I have never considered because since I am walking through Pamplona a few days later anyway to enjoy the city and spend the night, it didn't seem worth the extra day. I was always eager to get to my starting point, SJPdP.
OTOH, I like Don's suggestion to possibly start in Pamplona, should I decide to walk the Frances again.

I edited my previous post on this thread to add the following taken from a previous post of mine on a different thread.

Roughly the ALSA/CONDA schedule for the pre-covid years has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service

Lately the service has been starting later in the year and ending sooner than it has been. Also the number of buses run per day has been less.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi from Roncevalles to SJPDP would be?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi from Roncevalles to SJPDP would be?
Last year on April 16th and again on November 5th (when we had closed the big albergue) I paid € 48,00. The taxidriver who took me from Roncesvalles to SJPdP that day told me this was his last week, end of season, holidays. Express Bourricot (the backpack transport and also taxi services) had stopped their services a week earlier. So it could be a problem to get a taxi anyway. It is off season, for these people it is not possible to maintain all the normal services for just a handful of pelgrims on a daily base.

So it could be a problem to get a taxi anyway. It is off season, for these people it is not possible to maintain all the normal services for just a handful of pelgrims on a daily base.
There was one other year long bus that pilgrims could take though meant for the locals. PLM bus line had a morning Tuesday and Friday bus going from Pamplona to Valcarlos and one of its barrios, Pekotxeta, a pleasant walk away from SJPdP following the Valcarlos camino variant in reverse. Pekotxeta is, essentially, Arnéguy, France; it would be one town if not separated by a small river serving as the border. You could start walking to Santiago from either Valcarlos or Pekotxeta or instead head to SJPdP to spend some time exploring it.

PLM was bought out by Jimenez and I can't find this route on their website. A couple of queries got me no answers about whether this is still run or not.

Unfortunately, that was not the case in 2022. ALSA offered a single daily connection for Pamplona to SJPP throughout the pilgrimage season from April to October, leaving daily at noon and arriving at 1:45 pm in SJPP IIRC.

Anyway, I mentioned this year's publication date (middle of March for schedule from April 1) because there are likely to be more questions in the coming weeks about buses from Pamplona to SJPP in January, February and March 2023 so that people are aware of the fact that they may have to be patient before they know departure times and ticket prices for their upcoming Camino.
Is this the correct site for ALSA? ALSA.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back