• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buy stix in Pamplona/St. Jean, where?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I hope someone can recommend or suggest a specific store from which to purchase sticks in either Pamplona or St. Jean.
I've decided to purchase them in Spain rather than toting them with me from the USA.

It is very helpful to me to have a specific store named in one of these two locations (Pamplona and St. Jean). Thanks SO MUCH for y'all's help!!!!
17 more sleeps to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope someone can recommend or suggest a specific store from which to purchase sticks in either Pamplona or St. Jean.
I've decided to purchase them in Spain rather than toting them with me from the USA.

It is very helpful to me to have a specific store named in one of these two locations (Pamplona and St. Jean). Thanks SO MUCH for y'all's help!!!!
17 more sleeps to go!
Caminoteca in Pamplona Old Town
La Boutique du Pelerin in SJPPd right across from the Pilgrim Office on the main little street

Both places have plenty of walking sticks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe in another post you said you were staying overnight in Hotel Yoldi in Pamplona before traveling on to SJPdP. There is a Decathlon only a few blocks away from the hotel, also a Vodafone very near by.

Last edited:
Don’t wait to buy in Pamplona. You will need them for the hike to Ronscevalles. Buy then in Saint Jean right across from the pilgrims office. If possible ask someone how to use them. I found them so much better when I learned to loop my hand up from the bottom and then wrapped by hand around the grip. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or buy them at Decathlon in Madrid before you head to SJPdP.
Yep, Decathlon's are super cheap, less than half of what I've paid in SJPdP in the past. I buy the cheapest ones they sell at Decathlon. I "think" I only paid €16 for the pair this past spring when I arrived in Oviedo, and I leave them behind when I finish. They are definitely "good enough".

Last edited:
SJPdP…. This is what they carry

Bonjour,

Below are the sticks that we carry. Prices are for 2 sticks, and including taxes (ttc).
They are aluminium unless specified carbon.
They all are collapsable OR foldable (with a cable inside)
Carbon are usually significantly lighter.

They are listed from low to high prices.

ELEMENTERRE (French brand)

Stroller (21,90 euros) plastic handles
Tramp (38 euros) cork handles, shock absorber.
Hobo (36 euros) foam handles, quick lock system.
Apagado (50 euros) cork handles, quick lock system metal.
Lagoya (58 euros) foldable (with a cable inside) very short to put inside your luggage.

For better descriptions : https://elementerre.fr/93-baton

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDETTI (made in France)

Compostelle (64,95 euros) Compostelle design, quick lock system, cork handles
Pyrénées (64,95 euros) Pyrénées mountains design, quick lock system, cork handles
B-light-carbon (130 euros) very light, quick lock system, 100% carbon
B-light-carbon rubis for ladies (130 euros) very light, quick lock system, 100% carbon
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEKI (German brand)

Khumbu strong (89,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, for tall hikers (145cm).
Khumbu lite (89,95 euros) same as Khumbu strong but classic height (135cm) and lighter.
Cressida Lady (114,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles.
Makalu lite (114,95 euros) quick lock system, Aergon air.
Traveller alu (114,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, L&R cross shark system, 40cm folded.
Traveller carbon (164,95 euros) very light, quick lock system, L&R cross shark system, cork handles, 40cm folded, 100% carbon.
Cressida FX Lady carbon (189,89 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, 40cm folded, Aergon air, 100% carbon.
Makalu FX carbon (189,89 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, 40cm folded, Aergon air, 100% carbon.

For better descriptions :

If you wish to reserve , we can put your items aside until your arrival in Saint Jean . You will pay only arriving here.

Best regards. Cordiales salutations.
Pierre
La Boutique du Pèlerin - The Camino shop !
32 rue de la Citadelle (en face de l'accueil pèlerin / near the Pilgrims Office)
64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port - France

05 59 37 98 52
06 03 17 77 29

Ouvert tous les jours / Open every day 7:00--19:30.

Faites connaître la boutique à vos amis / Share this address with your friends.
www.boutique-du-pelerin.com

testimage.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will order inexpensive trekking poles off of the French or Spanish Amazon sites or from the online Decathlon site. I will have the order delivered to the lodging I will be staying at. I email the lodging to make sure they know what is occurring. The cheap trekking poles are always waiting for me when I arrive. Although inexpensive, I only need the poles to last as long as the pilgrimage.

When I head back home, the poles are donated. The money spent on their purchase was modest, so I just think of the cost of the poles as more of a rental.

My expensive trekking poles remain at home. They are what I use when backpacking in the U.S. That way I do not need to worry about taking them with me.

Although inexpensive, I only need the poles to last as long as the pilgrimage.
Exactly. I learned to leave my better ones at home after my first Camino, no worries to either lose them or leave them in the albergue open bins by the entry door.
P.S. Nice to see you on the forum today, Dave.🙂

Exactly. I learned to leave my better ones at home after my first Camino, no worries to either lose them or leave them in the albergue open bins by the entry door.
P.S. Nice to see you on the forum today, Dave.🙂
Thanks. . just now finished up with my latest job as an Interpretive Guide so have a bit more time to pop in and enjoy the Forum. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don’t wait to buy in Pamplona. You will need them for the hike to Ronscevalles. Buy then in Saint Jean right across from the pilgrims office. If possible ask someone how to use them. I found them so much better when I learned to loop my hand up from the bottom and then wrapped by hand around the grip. Buen Camino!
Absolutely! The number of people who cannot use poles to advantage is stunning. It only takes a moment to learn

Good day everyone, When I was there in 2022, I bought my sticks and left them behind. There was talk of someone starting an organized donation service where you could purchase or obtain a set of donated sticks. I will be returning in May 2024 and was wondering if anything ever came of that? If not, I'll buy and donate again - but thought I'd ask.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.