• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Buying equipment at SJPP

Padrepapp

Time of past OR future Camino
planning (2017)
As I can't bring a swiss army knife or scissors in my Hand Luggage on the flight, can I buy said equipments at SJPP? I got my army knife from my father, so I am not an expert in selecting original swiss army knives and not copies. Any recommendation on this topic?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try in SJPdP the Boutique du Pelerin. Ask if they sell Victorinox/Swiss Army knives in a contact email using this web.
You can write in English or French.

Furthermore in Bayonne there is a salespoint for Victorinox/Swiss Army knives at
Arteon, 11 rue Orbe

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I recommend Victorinox or Wenger knives. From Wikipedia: "The Swiss Army knife is the best-known product by Victorinox. Originally the sole supplier, Victorinox has shared the contract with Wenger since 1908. A compromise between the two companies gave Victorinox the right to advertise as the Original Swiss Army Knife, while Wenger laid claim to the title of Genuine Swiss Army Knife. Victorinox took over Wenger in 2005."

The Swiss Army officier's knife had the cork-screw. The enlisted man's knife did not. I don't know if this is still the case. Anyway, get the cork screw with the knife and be a camino hero to those who don't have one.

My knife is much like the one Victorinox calls the Climber. A medium and small blade (since the small is used rarely it will likely be sharp when you do need a sharp blade), a can opener, bottle opener, screwdrivers, awl, corkscrew, scissors and a few small things not needed.

I just thought of something so I edited my original post to add this: If you can't take your current knife to Spain then you probably can't take the new knife back with you so you may actually want a cheaper knife. The Caminoteca store near the cathedral in Pamplona sells a souvenir knife cheaply with most of the things you would want.
http://caminoteca.com/en/products/25-mealtime/stainless-steel-seven-function-pocket-knife

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try in SJPdP the Boutique du Pelerin. Ask if they sell Victorinox/Swiss Army knives in a contact email using this web.
You can write in English or French.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Thank You!

I wrote them and they indeed sell VICTORINOX knives, 3 models from 16-32EUR.

Rick: Thank you for the reply! I think me and my girlfriend will buy one swiss army knife and a cheaper Opinel knife. Maybe we will leave them at Finisterre for someone, or if we get too attached to them maybe send them home via mail if it is a possibility.

I purchased a Swiss Army knife in SJPDP as I left mine at home. I am mailing home at the end of the journey. It hasa Camino symbol on it. It will be one of my treasures.

Most read last week in this forum