• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Célé valley option

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have seen several topics relating to the Célé Valley optional route, there appear to be several differing opinions, negative and positive but no details explaining why. For your own opinion and please be specific, I will impart a bit of information which I have just learned. Along the Célé valley is a town called Sauliac, nothing special at first glance, certainly nothing attractive as say Marcilhac-sur-Célé. However, Sauliac forms part of the Triangle Noir and within the village there is a star observatory in which it is possible to gaze out across this protected territory and to observe the stars with only a few distractions and little glare from so called civilization. I would be happy to receive your impressions to help in my planning. Thanks

S

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, scruffy,

I walked the Cele route at least 8 years ago, and it was just beautiful. I have never heard anything bad about this route from anyone who walked it. It goes through untouristed parts of France, along the Cele River, with a lot of ups and downs from river bank to high paths. I suppose that if you don't like going up and down, you may get frustrated by this route, but I also remember that I was walking with two Dutch pilgrims (Jan and Erna are you reading this?) who found ways to avoid the ups and downs by staying on the road. My feet don't tolerate asphalt well, so I stuck with the ups and downs.

I would have to look at my journal to give you the names of my "favorite" towns and their attractions, but I remember wonderful gites with great home cooked meals, unspoiled old towns, and relaxing afternoons by the river. If I am ever lucky enough to get back to the LePuy route, I would definitely take this variant.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi there, Scruffy, I found the Cele Valley to be quite beautiful. Soaring granite cliffs tinged with apricot, troglodyte dwellings, ancient shepherds paths & huts, castle facades and ramparts from The One-Hundred Year War. I hiked late October, 2004 and had the valley to myself. I remember a few strenuous ascents and descents to & from the cliff tops, all worth the effort and there being something very special about the microclimate, the air was soft. The church bells in Marcilhac-sur-Cele are quite doleful, tuned at aprox a minor 6th I think, rather unusual.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heard about the Cele variant both before and after walking the Le Puy route in 2010; and I had the oft-repeated thought that surely it must be more interesting and scenic than the bit I was walking over. The area from Figeac to Cahors is karst country: thin soil with a limestone underpinning. The trees are scrub oak and creosote. The farms are poor, the towns depopulated. If I walk the Le Puy again, I will definitely take the Cele variant!

Thank you all! On re-reading the posts and blogs most were discouraged due to bad weather, slippery going and difficult climbs and descents in the rain due to the undulating terrain. Can only hope for sun
S

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, scruffy, someone who was writing on the forum before I took the Le Puy route in 2008 told me it was beautiful, but the muddy paths were very difficult when they walked in May the previous year.
Margaret

Scruffy, you might also consider detouring from Le Voie de Le Puy via Rocamadour a very historic pilgrimage site as well. I don't remember exactly where the turn off point is but think it was near Figeac. I think the trail was roughly circular looping back and possibly including the Cele Vally???? In 2004 pelerins had left sketch maps and hand written instructions in one or two churches along the way describing how to get there. That was eight years ago, by now I should think there will be a published guide. Rocamadour is extrordinary, apparently. If you find any literature I'd love to know.

Cheers,

ps, thanks Laurie for you nice words.

The latest Miam Miam Dodo for the Le Puy route has maps and info for the Cele variant, but no longer has maps for the Rocamadour variant. (I think it used to have them in 2008...) But it says the maps for Rocamadour are downloadable as pdfs from http://www.chemindecompostelle.com
Cheers lovingkindness, and yes, I should be in bed already, it is a school night!
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rocamadour is certainly worth a visit. You can walk on the GR6 from Figeac or take the train (Rocamadour station is about 4km from the village) then return to Figeac ready to walk through the beautiful Valley of the Célé.

The Valley has so much variety in its offerings. As well as those already mentioned, there is also the opportunity to visit the Pech Merle caves (Cabrerets) with its prehistoric paintings and Saint-Cirq- Lapopie which has just been voted France's favourite village.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Julile,

Thanks for reminding me of those two parts of my Cele Valley detour. We spent one night in the town right below the caves, had a morning visit to the caves (in French but still quite enjoyable for those of us without French ability), and then continued on to St. Cirque. We stayed in a hotel (our walking companions stayed in the campgrounds down at the riverside), and the town is up up up above the river. It is one of those totally preserved towns in France, with probably no more than 20 residents. All the other buildings are occupied by services for commerce. I don't say that as a criticism, just that that's what happens when lots and lots of tourists want to visit a very small village. There are some good restaurants there as well.

The next day we returned to the turn-off for St. Cirque (in other words you have to back-track), I think it's in a place called Bouzies, and continued on to another wonderful gite along the river. We didn't make it to Rocamadour, but it certainly looks like a place to go time permitting.

So many options so little time! At this rate I won't even make it until the Spanish border. For those who know, the poem Itacha by Cavafy is still so true.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
I have an extra private en-suite room in Marcilhac for May 8. $50. Message me!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back