• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cam' from Toronto starting from SJPdP on April 16, 2013

Cam1952

www.camcamino.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013 & 2017
Portuguese 2019
May 2023
I will be starting my Camino on April 16 with a plan to arrive in Santiago on Pentacost Sunday. I am hoping this time of the year isn't too crowded. Is this time of year very wet? After reading many personal accounts I am thinking great rain gear is a worthwhile investment. If anyone has gear suggestions I am appreciative of your efforts to share with me.
My plan is to add a couple of days in Santiago as a "buffer" in case I am delayed for any reason. Is this a good plan or can I get an open ticket? (book the return flight when I arrive in Santiago)
I will be setting out alone with my ukulele in hopes I can make many friends with music. If we share the Trail together please say hello.
Buen Camino.
As Always..... Cam'.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April is a good time. The weather is decent, though it may rain. The Pyrenees can do anything! The crowds are not large, but there are plenty of people.

A ticket without a return date may be a lot more expensive than one with it. Adding a couple of days is a good strategy. There is plenty to do if you are on schedule, or ahead of schedule. However, even without the extra days, you can catch up quickly with a bus, train, or taxi ride, so it is not critical to have extra time. A rest day has amazing restorative powers, so you can use an extra day any time you feel like it.

Buen camino.

Thank you Falcon. Your reply means a great deal to me. The return trip was a bit of a concern. I will follow your advice and start the process of booking (and paying) for my transportation.
Is a budget of 40 Eros a day on the high side? As I still have time to save I would like to be better prepared if possible.(without going over board)
I appreciate everyone who reads and especially those who reply to this posting.
Buen Camino all.
As Always.... Cam'.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unless you stay in hostales, 30E per day probably will be sufficient. You can beat that budget with self-catering.

Cam, I'm also from Toronto and walked the Camino this summer. If you would like to have coffee and talk about what I learned and experienced on The Camino, let me know! Linda

Hello Linda;
Your offer is generous and I would be very happy to accept. I have so many questions and first hand information is "golden". Please let me know how you would like to arrange to meet. I live in the York Mills/Don Mills area but am extremely mobile.
As Always.....Cam'.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Much appreciated Falcon.
Understanding your comment I think I will plan for 40E a day and stay in the Albergues for the most part. I imagine every now-and-again it might be very nice to park myself in a Hostel for a night.
Be well.
As Always.....Cam'.

At this stage of my planning I am looking for inexpensive air flights. Has anyone found a reasonable price from Toronto to Biarritz and then back from Santiago to Toronto? Using the typical online tools I am shocked to see prices like $5,000.
If you know an inexpensive route though the UK or via another European centre I would appreciate your input.

From http://www.iberia.com $927.71
Flight details

JOURNEY1 - Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Toronto › London
Departure
20:50 / Toronto , Pearson International , Terminal 3
Arrival
8:45 Day 17 / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5

London › Madrid
Departure
10:10 / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5
Arrival
13:30 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4S

Madrid › Pamplona
Departure
16:00 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4
Arrival
16:55 / Pamplona

Duration
14h: 5m

JOURNEY2 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Santiago de Compostela › Madrid
Departure
9:35 / Santiago de Compostela
Arrival
10:45 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4

Madrid › Chicago
Departure
11:55 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4S
Arrival
14:15 / Chicago , O'Hare International , Terminal 5

Chicago › Toronto
Departure
16:05 / Chicago , O'Hare International , Terminal 3
Arrival
18:45 / Toronto , Pearson International , Terminal 3

Duration
15h: 10m

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you again Falcon.
I am booking this.
As Always..... Cam'.

I went on iberia to book from toronto and it was not an option...any suggestions??

Greetings Cam',

I'm flying into Paris from Victoria on Apr 12 then taking the night train down to SJPP. I intend to spend the day wandering the town and regaining my bearings before setting off on Apr 14th. Sound's like I'll be a couple days ahead of you but I thought I'd say hi in the off chance we meet on The Way :)

Some advice to cut down on your airfare (if you haven't already bought your tickets): don't prebook your return flight from Santiago. I booked my return flight from Madrid because RyanAir has daily flights SCQ - MAD starting at just €22. Booking this way has saved me ~$300!

Buen Camino!
- Mar

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Marlie83 said:
Greetings Cam',

I'm flying into Paris from Victoria on Apr 12 then taking the night train down to SJPP. I intend to spend the day wandering the town and regaining my bearings before setting off on Apr 14th. Sound's like I'll be a couple days ahead of you but I thought I'd say hi in the off chance we meet on The Way :)

Some advice to cut down on your airfare (if you haven't already bought your tickets): don't prebook your return flight from Santiago. I booked my return flight from Madrid because RyanAir has daily flights SCQ - MAD starting at just €22. Booking this way has saved me ~$300!

Buen Camino!
- Mar
Which company did you use for the train and how much did it cost you? I will be arriving may and would like to do the same but there are no schedules posted I can see. Thanks so much. Sharon

Cam1952 said:
Thank you again Falcon.
I am booking this.
As Always..... Cam'.
Did you book your flight already and if so what are the details. I'm planning on a may departure and the best rates I have found are with Airtransat Toronto to Paris, then for the return Madrid to toronto ($1135) Paris to Biarritz is about 40E, and Santiago to madrid is about 32E both with easyjet.

Would appreciate your input as well. Buen Camino.

Hi there Sharon - I have just looked at Easyjet flights out of Santiago and it seems they only fly to London, Basel and Geneva. Maybe something has changed?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
sharontejada said:
Which company did you use for the train and how much did it cost you? I will be arriving may and would like to do the same but there are no schedules posted I can see. Thanks so much. Sharon

Hi sharontejada,

Sorry for the late reply! I haven't booked my train tickets yet; SNCF.com only allows you to book 3 months in advance. The best deals (from €17!) seem to be around the 6 week mark so I won't be booking for awhile yet but there appears to be an overnight train on Friday nights leaving Paris Austerlitz @ 21:54, arriving Bayonne @ 08:09 Saturday. The connecting train to SJPP leaves Bayonne @ 10:48, arriving SJPP @ 12:07 - this seems to be €9,40 no matter when you book.

I had also mentioned that I was planning to fly SCQ - MAD on RyanAir but I've since found a better deal on renfe.com: another overnight train, starting at €15, leaves Santiago @ 22:50 and arrives in Madrid @ 08:02 - perfect timing for getting to the airport and checking in for my early afternoon flight home! But again, Renfe won't allow bookings more than 3 months in advance, so this is all theoretical still :)

Hope this helps you!

Cheers,
Mar

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back