• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminha to Valença old path

soletrek

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Fisterra May 2023
Hello all, I’d like to go from coastal Caminha to Valença on the central route in Portugal. I’ve read about the “ecopista “ along the Minho River, but would like to take the older (original?) route in the hills. I can’t find information about it: Is it well-marked? Do many pilgrims choose this route? I believe it goes to Vila Nova de Cerveira and then joins the river walk (??)
Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
soletrek,
Welcome to the forum.
For more info re the route try searching for earlier posts containing the place name Vila Nova de Cerveira . You will find the search box in blue at the upper left of this page.
Good luck with your research and happy planning!

Last edited:
Hello all, I’d like to go from coastal Caminha to Valença on the central route in Portugal. I’ve read about the “ecopista “ along the Minho River, but would like to take the older (original?) route in the hills. I can’t find information about it: Is it well-marked? Do many pilgrims choose this route? I believe it goes to Vila Nova de Cerveira and then joins the river walk (??)
Fwiw I cycled that way late last year, exploring. I don’t remember seeing any extraneous arrows. I could be mistaken though.

Following retired paths can be a mixed bag. Sometimes they are nice and quiet and you cannot understand why they are no longer in use. Other times you find yourself trying to navigate around the mine/track/obstacle that was plonked down in the middle of it and only then, or hours of walking back towards where you started, does it become clear why it was retired in the first place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As soon as you leave Caminha over the bridge and you follow the waymarkers you will walk on the original waymarked path through villages and hamlets So ignore the signs to the Ecopista and continue to Vila Nova de Cerveira. Ecopista and the waymarked path are close to each other so you allways can change .We did it sometimes to score a cup of coffee or a sandwich Orget a stamp at a church

We did this route in Jan 2020. Hadn't intended to, but the ferry to a Guarda wasn't running due to fog, so it was a spontaneous decision. I have the impression that very few pilgrims take this particular route, but I don't remember there being any particular problems, and it was very pretty and peaceful, as described by @Albertinho. We enjoyed Vila Nova de Cerveira, a dignified old town with beautiful river views, excellent youth hostel and large supermarket which was open on a Sunday evening. We had the entire 44 place Youth Hostel to ourselves: €30 for the two of us in a private ensuite room with breakfast and excellent kitchen facilities, pure luxury!

Enjoy!

We did this route in Jan 2020. Hadn't intended to, but the ferry to a Guarda wasn't running due to fog, so it was a spontaneous decision. I have the impression that very few pilgrims take this particular route, but I don't remember there being any particular problems, and it was very pretty and peaceful, as described by @Albertinho. We enjoyed Vila Nova de Cerveira, a dignified old town with beautiful river views, excellent youth hostel and large supermarket which was open on a Sunday evening. We had the entire 44 place Youth Hostel to ourselves: €30 for the two of us in a private ensuite room with breakfast and excellent kitchen facilities, pure luxury!

Enjoy!
Thanks to you all for very helpful responses! I did take the suggestion to make a search for V.N. de Cerveira in past posts, and even found some maps from a long time ago. I’m looking forward to heading into those hills, and now will not worry:) And I’ll stay in Cerveira, which will allow for time spent meandering. Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As soon as you leave Caminha over the bridge and you follow the waymarkers you will walk on the original waymarked path through villages and hamlets So ignore the signs to the Ecopista and continue to Vila Nova de Cerveira. Ecopista and the waymarked path are close to each other so you allways can change .We did it sometimes to score a cup of coffee or a sandwich Orget a stamp at a church
I'm curious if the waymarkers point in both directions, for those who want to walk from Valença to Caminha and experience the Coastal in Spain after experiencing the Central in Portugal, instead of visa versa.

Please advise if you have do e this route yet? I can't decide whether to stay near River or go inland....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Please advise if you have do e this route yet? I can't decide whether to stay near River or go inland....
See my post here above

I walked several times on the Ecopista , drove with my car on the main road through the villages from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença. Did the trip at the Spanish side of the river too.

I advise everybody to do some research on beforehand if you do a big trip like a caminho.
everybody nowadays has a smartphone or tablet at home and on most are apps like google earth or like on my Apple products, Maps.
You can follow the track completely and see the Ecopista along the river and a road leading through villages and hamlets . They are close to each other
The Ecopista is a leasure path for runners, joggers, bikers , wanderers , pilgrims .

Just start walking in Caminha , you are on the main road. at the next village you can choose either to go straight on or follow the Ecopista.
If you are hungry or thirsty go to the main road and find a café or small restaurant . Continue on the main road , taking care for the traffic passing by and wished you were on the Ecopista with nice views on the river .At a certain time just before Vila Nova they come together and on the main road In Vila Nova you can go to the Ecopista again to continue to Valença.

See my post here above

I walked several times on the Ecopista , drove with my car on the main road through the villages from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença. Did the trip at the Spanish side of the river too.

I advise everybody to do some research on beforehand if you do a big trip like a caminho.
everybody nowadays has a smartphone or tablet at home and on most are apps like google earth or like on my Apple products, Maps.
You can follow the track completely and see the Ecopista along the river and a road leading through villages and hamlets . They are close to each other
The Ecopista is a leasure path for runners, joggers, bikers , wanderers , pilgrims .

Just start walking in Caminha , you are on the main road. at the next village you can choose either to go straight on or follow the Ecopista.
If you are hungry or thirsty go to the main road and find a café or small restaurant . Continue on the main road , taking care for the traffic passing by and wished you were on the Ecopista with nice views on the river .At a certain time just before Vila Nova they come together and on the main road In Vila Nova you can go to the Ecopista again to continue to Valença.
Many thanks. Yes I've downloaded trails app . I just like to hear advise from other pilgrims re stops etc!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back