• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminha to Valenca

Roz.K

Time of past OR future Camino
Coastal Camino Portugues (2019)
I am walking this route in April next year and would like to know, if there are arrows/markers to follow out of Caminha. I would like to walk on the Escovia along the Minho river.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Roz.
I walked solo from Caminha to Valença on a warm, clear day in October 2018. My blog link with photos is below and my post is not in favor of that route, but you will probably read positive posts after mine. I walked on a weekday. While it is lovely, it’s a walk on hard surface along the same, same river for miles and miles. I didn’t see any people except halfway and they were having lunch and then had reservations to spend the night somewhere nearby. After that I saw no one else, no walkers, no boats, no dogs until close to Valença. I did see a bird sanctuary which is beautiful. By the time I finished I had walked much farther than the map’s kms because at the beginning I returned to the tourist office thinking I didn’t have the right directions. But I did. In Valença I walked right by the municipal Albergue where I stayed that same summer, found a hotel with a tub, and after a long bath, fell into bed and slept a long, uninterrupted sleep. The next year I returned to Lisbon and and then walked from Porto all the way to the Espiritual Variant and then Santiago and Muxia. Walking on that river path might be better with a partner or maybe a weekend. The Portugués coast, Senda Litoral is my favorite Caminho. Buen Camino.

I am walking this route in April next year and would like to know, if there are arrows/markers to follow out of Caminha. I would like to walk on the Escovia along the Minho river.
You can cut out the unattractive parts and shorten the walk to a more manageable stretch by taking the train from Caminha to Vila Nova de Cerveira. We did that back in 2019 and enjoyed the walk, as you can see by our blog post: https://twoclinestraveling.wordpress.com/2019/06/18/along-the-rio-minho/

Why take the train when you can get upriver far more traditionally by ferry ?

Apart from that, there are actually two hiking options along the river, one Spanish side, the other Portuguese.

Just be aware there was another route that went from Caminha to Valenca but inland, and this was marked by yellow arrows a few years ago when I did the walk by river. So be careful!

It’s very easy, just keep the river to your left. I walked coastal and central last year and cycled this bit later. I think it is a very boring part to walk! There is a beautiful, off the beaten track trail, just before you cross the bridge to Viana de Castello. Keep the river to the left and you will end up in Ponte de Lima. From there it is a beautiful walk to Valenca. There is a hotel halfway. I enjoyed it very much!
But, looking back to last spring: I enjoyed coastal, all the way to Pontevedra, much more than central.

Hi. On the day I walked there were many pilgrims taking the same route. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it. A few pilgrims had stayed in an albergue along the route maybe 4kms outside Caminha. I cant remember if it was waymarked but almost impossible to get lost. You are basically walking with the river on your left the whole way. Daniel

Hi Roz.
I walked solo from Caminha to Valença on a warm, clear day in October 2018. My blog link with photos is below and my post is not in favor of that route, but you will probably read positive posts after mine. I walked on a weekday. While it is lovely, it’s a walk on hard surface along the same, same river for miles and miles. I didn’t see any people except halfway and they were having lunch and then had reservations to spend the night somewhere nearby. After that I saw no one else, no walkers, no boats, no dogs until close to Valença. I did see a bird sanctuary which is beautiful. By the time I finished I had walked much farther than the map’s kms because at the beginning I returned to the tourist office thinking I didn’t have the right directions. But I did. In Valença I walked right by the municipal Albergue where I stayed that same summer, found a hotel with a tub, and after a long bath, fell into bed and slept a long, uninterrupted sleep. The next year I returned to Lisbon and and then walked from Porto all the way to the Espiritual Variant and then Santiago and Muxia. Walking on that river path might be better with a partner or maybe a weekend. The Portugués coast, Senda Litoral is my favorite Caminho. Buen Camino.
Thank you, your blog is very thorough. I will be staying at the Pousada de Juventude in Vila Nova de Cerveira, so this will break up the walk and hopefully no boredom.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. On the day I walked there were many pilgrims taking the same route. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it. A few pilgrims had stayed in an albergue along the route maybe 4kms outside Caminha. I cant remember if it was waymarked but almost impossible to get lost. You are basically walking with the river on your left the whole way. Daniel
Good advice, thank you.

When you arrive in Valença do Minho if you walk north on the Av de Sao Teotonio you can pass through the splendid 17th c. Fortress which resembles a small town. Within the garden of the Sao Teotonio Pousada you can then reconnect to the camino path for the famous International Bridge leading to Tui.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, your blog is very thorough. I will be staying at the Pousada de Juventude in Vila Nova de Cerveira, so this will break up the walk and hopefully no boredom.
Vila Nova de Cerveira is a very nice little place! You will enjoy it!! Lots of cafés and restaurants!

Why take the train when you can get upriver far more traditionally by ferry ?

Apart from that, there are actually two hiking options along the river, one Spanish side, the other Portuguese.
Which is the nicer walk, between Caminha and Valença or Caminha and Tui? And does it make a difference which way you are going? That is, is it just as nice and well marked walking to Caminha as from Caminha?

I'm thinking of a potential future Camino that mixes Senda Litoral, Central, and Coastal: Senda to Vila do Conde, Central to the Spanish border, and Coastal in Spain.

Which is the nicer walk, between Caminha and Valença or Caminha and Tui? And does it make a difference which way you are going? That is, is it just as nice and well marked walking to Caminha as from Caminha?

I'm thinking of a potential future Camino that mixes Senda Litoral, Central, and Coastal: Senda to Vila do Conde, Central to the Spanish border, and Coastal in Spain.
Don't know, and I would like to find out too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I don't have any experience walking Tui to Caminha on the Spanish side of the Minho. But it seems that combining Senda Litoral to Vila do Conde, Vila do Conde to Valença via Barcelos and Ponte de Lima, Valença to Caminha, Caminha to Vigo and then Vigo to Redondela would be a smart way to capture the highlights of both the Coastal and Central Portuguese. And all of it would be easily walkable.

Hello. Did you find out anymore info? I'm following in May. Can't decide which path ti take from Caminha to Tui?

Yes, I am going to follow the Estrada do Rio, which joins or becomes the Ecopista do Rio Minho. This ends at the Parque Aquatico in Vila Nova de Cerveira. I will be staying overnight at the Pousada de Juventude, then walking on to Valenca, where I am staying 2 nights at Hotel Lara. Then onto Porrino in Spain Good luck with your travels.

Hello. Did you find out anymore info? I'm following in May. Can't decide which path ti take from Caminha to Tui?
Hi. The straightforward path is on the Portuguese side. If you Google Hostel Sao Bento in Seixas it's is 3km on the road out of Caminha towards Valenca. That's where we stayed and then it's a further 25kms from there. There are pathways beside the river most of the way and in May you will probably meet many pilgrims taking this option. When we did it I'm April there were many pilgrims on this road. Almost impossible to get lost. Daniel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314_061038_MAPSME.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314_061038_MAPSME.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back