• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portugues Part 2

Camino Addict

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (2013), Caminho Costa (2013), Frances (2014, 18) Mozarabe (2017), Portugues (2019)
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

As my title states (and my name implies), this will be my second pilgrimage to Santiago through Lisbon, and I am starting in the beginning of February. I am hoping that my girlfriend and an Italian friend of mine (whom I met while walking the Camino Frances) will be joining me, but I have not gotten 100% confirmation from them just yet. Therefore, I am looking for fellow pilgrims who are walking along this route to help share the costs of groceries and accommodations.

Unless something has drastically changed in the past 2 years, there are not many albergues on this route, especially south of Porto, so walking solo can cost a bit. On my last Portuguese Caminho, there were multiple times when my girlfriend and I had to drop 30-40 Euro a night for a hotel room because that was the only game in town. In regards to groceries, for example, I am not thrilled of the idea of hauling a 6 pack of yogurt around because the grocery store did not sell single serving cups.

I do know that you can crash at some of the firehouses on the route for free, but would you really ask? If you could, I admire your nerve, because I couldn't ask a volunteer firefighter (which a lot of them are in Portugal) after he/she has just trained all day or worse, fought a fire, if they can make the effort to set a up a shower, a place for me to crash, and if I could use their kitchen to cook my dinner.

So a little about me, I am college educated and medically trained, have working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, very easy to get along with, in my late 30's, and plan on using a snore guard. I have been to Portugal 6 times (including 2 Camino treks through Portugal), so I know the country and the logistics needed to get around with minimal stress. I also have working knowledge of French, Italian, German, Korean, Japanese, and Hebrew, so please forward this to any non-English speaking pilgrims if you know of any doing this route when I'm walking. Lastly, I only mentioned that I am starting in the beginning of February, because I am flexible as to the exact date I can start.

So thank you for reading this long thread and if you are doing the Caminho Portuguese on another date, feel free to ask me any questions, because I must admit, other threads I have read here do not emphasis how far some of the walking distances from town to town are, and how much walking on cobblestone and pavement sucks. Though, at the same time, I think most fail to express how beautiful Portugal is, how wonderful the Portuguese people are, and how amazing the food is ;)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

As my title states (and my name implies), this will be my second pilgrimage to Santiago through Lisbon, and I am starting in the beginning of February. I am hoping that my girlfriend and an Italian friend of mine (whom I met while walking the Camino Frances) will be joining me, but I have not gotten 100% confirmation from them just yet. Therefore, I am looking for fellow pilgrims who are walking along this route to help share the costs of groceries and accommodations.

Unless something has drastically changed in the past 2 years, there are not many albergues on this route, especially south of Porto, so walking solo can cost a bit. On my last Portuguese Caminho, there were multiple times when my girlfriend and I had to drop 30-40 Euro a night for a hotel room because that was the only game in town. In regards to groceries, for example, I am not thrilled of the idea of hauling a 6 pack of yogurt around because the grocery store did not sell single serving cups.

I do know that you can crash at some of the firehouses on the route for free, but would you really ask? If you could, I admire your nerve, because I couldn't ask a volunteer firefighter (which a lot of them are in Portugal) after he/she has just trained all day or worse, fought a fire, if they can make the effort to set a up a shower, a place for me to crash, and if I could use their kitchen to cook my dinner.

So a little about me, I am college educated and medically trained, have working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese, very easy to get along with, in my late 30's, and plan on using a snore guard. I have been to Portugal 6 times (including 2 Camino treks through Portugal), so I know the country and the logistics needed to get around with minimal stress. I also have working knowledge of French, Italian, German, Korean, Japanese, and Hebrew, so please forward this to any non-English speaking pilgrims if you know of any doing this route when I'm walking. Lastly, I only mentioned that I am starting in the beginning of February, because I am flexible as to the exact date I can start.

So thank you for reading this long thread and if you are doing the Caminho Portuguese on another date, feel free to ask me any questions, because I must admit, other threads I have read here do not emphasis how far some of the walking distances from town to town are, and how much walking on cobblestone and pavement sucks. Though, at the same time, I think most fail to express how beautiful Portugal is, how wonderful the Portuguese people are, and how amazing the food is ;)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

Ola - and good luck finding travel companions for Feb in Portugal....
Things apparently have changed since you walked last. More albergues/hostals to stay also south of Porto. I stayed in many of them - and only rarely paid above 25euro a night when I chose a pensao/hostel. Usually much below that rate. A private albergue in ALVAIÁZERE was 10euros, for e.g.
http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...portuguese-albergues-pensions-and-hostals.81/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-i.27901/
and in my experience/reading of this forum, there are indeed plenty of posts mentioning the stages between towns and how challenging the cobblestones are ...or kindness of portuguese people, the marvelous food and wine ... sample:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/989799/?q=cobble+stones&o=date
Bom Caminho and happy planning ...

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho
In addition to what Claudia writes(aka @amorfati1) .
Unfortunately in Portugal there are only privat hostals and albergues. So you have to count on somewhat higher costs per day. The network of albergues between Lisbon and Porto has been improved significantly since you have been there but being said this they are privat.But for the average pilgrim they offer great services a.o.pickup service .
More Bombeiros Volontarios in Portugal refuse lodging pilgrims because it does not belong to their "core bussiness" . However last year May we slept for 5€ at the Bombeiros in Tomar. Maybe they still do. We were there last May as tourists but did not see any sign of pilgrims when we had a look

On the other hand there still are some places where you can stay for very few money
On the Lisbon to Porto leg in Cernache just before Coimbra is a school which do lodge pilgrims during weekdays for free ! Bunkbeds, hot showers, restaurant voor diner and breakfast opposite the gate of the school.
Just beyond Alberaría -a-Velha is a retraîthouse-kind of sanctuary Casa Diocesana where nuns lodge you including meals, bunkbeds ,showers for about 3€ per person per night. From Porto to Santiago beyond Barcelos is Casa da Fernanda -donativo- but you get a bed ,a meal and a breakfast, hot showers and a cosy time being together with others. The real caminho spirit.
When you read back on this forum you will read about the places I mentioned with phonenumbers etc.

My wife and I could buy single yoghurts , cans of drinks salats etc in supermarkets everywhere so there is no need to buy sixpacks and such. there are markets for fruits etc. we both are pensionados and never felt desperate about finding lodging and food and drinks.
Walking through Portugal costs a little bit more than in Spain but the costs of living are lower, the food is cheaper so the average of staying there is reasonable.
And we love the Portugese people. Bom caminho

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Camino Addict,

There's a bunch of us here on the forum who have walked from Lisbon and love it! In fact, the guides in the resource section of the forum to the caminho portugues, particularly the one from Lisbon to Porto,
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/the-caminho-portugués-–-lisbon-to-oporto.123/
were basically put together by forum members' comments. I'll have another version of the Lisbon-Porto guide ready by the end of the year, and Porto-Santiago soon after. It'd be great if you would give comments and suggestions for updates and improvements after your February camino.

The firehouse option is decreasing as the pilgrims increase, but the guide lists the few that still welcome pilgrims. I've never stayed in one, but I know others who have -- don't worry, you won't be sharing space with the firefighters, it's just extra space they have.

Like others have said, I think you will be very surprised at how much the pilgrim infrastructure has improved and increased since you last walked! Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, Camino Addict,

There's a bunch of us here on the forum who have walked from Lisbon and love it! In fact, the guides in the resource section of the forum to the caminho portugues, particularly the one from Lisbon to Porto,
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/the-caminho-portugués-–-lisbon-to-oporto.123/
were basically put together by forum members' comments. I'll have another version of the Lisbon-Porto guide ready by the end of the year, and Porto-Santiago soon after. It'd be great if you would give comments and suggestions for updates and improvements after your February camino.

The firehouse option is decreasing as the pilgrims increase, but the guide lists the few that still welcome pilgrims. I've never stayed in one, but I know others who have -- don't worry, you won't be sharing space with the firefighters, it's just extra space they have.

Like others have said, I think you will be very surprised at how much the pilgrim infrastructure has improved and increased since you last walked! Bom caminho, Laurie

Looking forward to reading/using/obsessing over your update Ms Laurie...

Looking forward to reading/using/obsessing over your update Ms Laurie...
Hi, Camino Addict,

Greetings and thank you to all that have replied to and read my thread.

I first want to apologize for not clarifying that my 30-40 Euro a room average was referring to double occupancy prices and I am aware that single serving products are available on the Camino, but I'm sure everyone will agree that buying in volume is usually the best value. I will also gladly contribute my observations on the Camino to create a better guide as I have used Brierley's guides in the past and there were some inaccuracies in his maps, plus I've noticed that attempts are being made to reroute the Camino to avoid the less pleasurable scenery that one may come across in traversing an industrialized environment. I am also looking forward to all and any improvements on the Camino Portuguese infrastructure.

Thank you for mentioning the firehouse options and I will try my best to verify which of them are still accepting pilgrims, still, I personally will not stay in one unless I am literally passing one by, and a firefighter comes out and invites me in, and they accept some form of donation. I know this seems like it is going against my attempts to save money, but we all have our quirks I suppose.

Being a former medic in the United States Air Force, I felt somewhat obligated to assist the injured pilgrims on my walks. Most of them were injured because they were ill-prepared for the strains of walking/biking long distances, and it always broke my heart to see a pilgrim have to give up because of a preventable injury. This is what I was attempting to convey earlier. Not to be an intentional deterrent from anyone attempting the Camino, but in my view, I am surprised as to the minimal amount of emphasis that is placed on the medically related concerns one can run into, in regards to subject matter related to the Camino that is out there.

Lastly, here is my first update on my Camino. Because my Italian friend will not be able to join me till the middle of February, I have decided that I will start my Camino a few days earlier, but will I begin on the Camino Mozarabe in Granada. When I make it to Merida, Spain, I will attempt to find a route west that will connect to Lisbon, as they are both on nearby latitudes. Who knows? This may create a new Camino path!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho
Hi, I will be, with interest, follow your Camino. Will you be blogging or keeping int touch on the forum. I will be walking CP in July 2015 probably not from Lisbon, but from a few stages prior to Porto. I will see how it evolves. Bom Caminho

Hi, I will be, with interest, follow your Camino. Will you be blogging or keeping int touch on the forum. I will be walking CP in July 2015 probably not from Lisbon, but from a few stages prior to Porto. I will see how it evolves. Bom Caminho
If you donot like to start in Lisbon (you will miss Lisbon and a nice part walking from Santarėm direction Tomar, maybe an option is to start either in Tomar or Coimbra.
Tomar has the worldfamous convento de Cristo ,a must see and Coimbra the world famous university. Worthwhile visiting too. From Coimbra it is an about 3 weeks walk to Santiago.
If you walk from Porto follow the coastal detour to Vila do Conde via Matosinhos instead of the original caminho to Maia,Vilarinho and on.Doing so you avoid walking alongside and on the hardshoulder of dangerous busy roads. Many members on this forum wrote about it many times.
The detour is a nice walk alongside the Atlantic ocean.
In Vila do Conde you head for São Pedro de Rates where you will join the main route to Barcelos,Ponte de Lima ,Valença/Tui to Santiago.
Do not forget to stay at casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. The best place to stay for the night on the entire caminho Portuges.
In Barcelos you can make a detour by bus to Braga to the world heritage church Bom Jesus do Monte, a must see if you are in the north of Portugal.

Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for your interest in my pilgrimage and I will try my best to keep in touch with the forum, especially anything related to road conditions, albergues closing/opening, etc. Good luck with your Camino in July, and get the most comfortable/supportive footwear and socks you can get your hands on, and lots of sun protection and some bug repellent (FYI, try to get all these items in North America as they are usually cheaper.). Please take a break and medically treat yourself as soon as you feel hot spots, heat exhaustion, or strain on joints. There's quite a few "convenience" stores run by Chinese folk on the Portuguese Way that offer great deals on bandages, braces, other medical supplies, and other products you may need. They all go by so many different names. I refer to them as "Mini Walmarts" as they usually sell products you would find in a Walmart or dollar store. Also, the Portuguese are some of the most friendliest/welcoming people on Earth, and aside from the heat and cobblestones, you will undoubtedly enjoy your time there. I look forward to hearing about your trip as well.

Lastly, I have had to change some of my plans as I will not have time to start on the Camino Mozarabe. It looks like I will have to start on the Camino Via de la Plata in Seville and then walk west to Lisbon from Merida, if I am to meet my friend in Lisbon on time. So it looks like I will have to save the Mozarabe for the beginning of 2016?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Camino Addict,

I'm excited to see the Porto to Santiago guide, too! Will it include the coastal route?

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho
we have walked the CF twice and now it's time for the Portuguese route that you are taking, but we're leaving in September.....I've been reading a few times about the "cobblestone" problem......from your past 2 treks, this really must be annoying, right?

w
Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for your interest in my pilgrimage and I will try my best to keep in touch with the forum, especially anything related to road conditions, albergues closing/opening, etc. Good luck with your Camino in July, and get the most comfortable/supportive footwear and socks you can get your hands on, and lots of sun protection and some bug repellent (FYI, try to get all these items in North America as they are usually cheaper.). Please take a break and medically treat yourself as soon as you feel hot spots, heat exhaustion, or strain on joints. There's quite a few "convenience" stores run by Chinese folk on the Portuguese Way that offer great deals on bandages, braces, other medical supplies, and other products you may need. They all go by so many different names. I refer to them as "Mini Walmarts" as they usually sell products you would find in a Walmart or dollar store. Also, the Portuguese are some of the most friendliest/welcoming people on Earth, and aside from the heat and cobblestones, you will undoubtedly enjoy your time there. I look forward to hearing about your trip as well.

Lastly, I have had to change some of my plans as I will not have time to start on the Camino Mozarabe. It looks like I will have to start on the Camino Via de la Plata in Seville and then walk west to Lisbon from Merida, if I am to meet my friend in Lisbon on time. So it looks like I will have to save the Mozarabe for the beginning of 2016?
please let us know about the cobblestones and perhaps the parts that have more of them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...
Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back