• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2023 Costs of Caminho Portugues Central (Ex Porto)

NicoO

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues 2024
Hi all,

I am planning to do the Caminho Portuges from Porto in May 2024. Coastal till Vila do Conde and then on to the Central route.

I wanted to ask if anybody can state what I require in regards of daily costs based on their experienece (maybe 2023? Experience?).

Based on my 2022 guide and a some internet research:
I am currently planning with 15 Euros for Sleeping and 25 Euros for Eating a day. so 40 Euros a day. (Higher costs for Porto and Santiago de Compostela)
Is this sufficient?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There were a few places on the CP I spent 20 euro on an albergue but you can definitely find places for 15. The places I spent 20 were after Tui where much more people join. If you are crossing over at Vila do Conde I would recommend staying at Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Conde after Barcelos. It’s I think 25 euro for the night but that includes a fun communal dinner and breakfast. Also there is a great communal dinner in Rubiaes at Ninho/Pilgrims Nest if you are staying there. I think to stay was 20 and dinner was 10. Definitely enjoy the quietness and less crowd before Tui. Once you hit Tui lots of groups start and it feels like a very different Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished the Central Portuguese. If you stay in the Municipals, you can meet those cost goals, but they don’t take reservations, you can’t ship your bag to them, and some of them don’t open until 5 pm, so I went with privates. The prices have gone way up; we spent 37€ for a bunk bed in a dorm in a private albergue at least twice. More typical was 20-25€ in the privates. Dinner prices are also up, we found a few pilgrim meals (pretty grim) for 15-20€, but the fish dishes that Portugal is famous for run 20€ a plate, and that’s not counting wine.

Hi all,

I am planning to do the Caminho Portuges from Porto in May 2024. Coastal till Vila do Conde and then on to the Central route.

I wanted to ask if anybody can state what I require in regards of daily costs based on their experienece (maybe 2023? Experience?).

Based on my 2022 guide and a some internet research:
I am currently planning with 15 Euros for Sleeping and 25 Euros for Eating a day. so 40 Euros a day. (Higher costs for Porto and Santiago de Compostela)
Is this sufficient?
I think that is not unreasonable if you intend to sleep in pilgrim dorm rooms and eat menus del dia or menus peregino. But remember that food and accommodations are likely not to be the entirety of your expenses. I would leave yourself some wiggle room for trips to the pharmacy, entrance to churches or monuments, replacing things you lose or buying things you find you want, etc.

Thank you all for the replies.

That is very good Input, of course I wanna live a little so I should save a little more in advance. :)

@Becky 59 on the Food Situation was there Vegan options regularily or is that rarely the case?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Earlier this year I kept a record of my costs walking from Tui, not something I worry too much about doing normally. I posted my observations here.

I think you might be able to keep your accommodation costs under 15 euro per day if you are meticulous about only staying in municipal and Xunta albergues. Private albergues like Casa da Fernanda will not be within that limit, although you might save enough staying at cheaper albergues for an occasional stay like that.

Your food budget looks about right to me, but I didn't check to see if there were vegan options, My recollection of the menus that I saw would suggest they are rarely offered. You might need to consider preparing your own food if you are staying outside of the major towns, where there might be better prospects finding a vegan restaurant or vegan options on the menu.

My other major cost was laundry. Sometimes use of washing machines is included in the accommodation cost, but not always. Expect to pay in municipal and Xunta albergues.

Thank you all for the replies.

That is very good Input, of course I wanna live a little so I should save a little more in advance. :)

@Becky 59 on the Food Situation was there Vegan options regularily or is that rarely the case?
Not a lot; if you’re pescatarian there will be lots, but I didn’t see much for vegans (my hubby is vegan so I’m more attuned to it).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm on day 8 of the Portuguese costal route and I managed to find at least 1 vegan option in most places throughout Portugal and Spain so far! Have you used the app HappyCow before?

I would say Portugal is definitely more vegan friendly than Spain.

And I've cooked at the Albergues/hostels and taken leftovers for lunch the next day which has helped a lot :)

@betheloisej95 did you have good experience with HappyCow in Portugal? In Germany i find the app results to be rather mediocre.

And good news everybody :) I booked my flight so: May 2024 Caminho here i come :)

I walked that part in July 2023. Had daily expenses of 27€ in average. Ate only on 2 occasions in the Albergue. Mixed accomodation of private / municipal and donativo Albergues.

Any further questions, just ask via PM.

Have fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@betheloisej95 did you have good experience with HappyCow in Portugal? In Germany i find the app results to be rather mediocre.

And good news everybody :) I booked my flight so: May 2024 Caminho here i come :)
It's not like there were tonnes of options/Happy Cow listings in each place, but I certainly found it helpful! And if you want to be good vegan Samaritan, please add any places you find on the way with vegan options to the app! 😀

Here is my list I made on Happy Cow: https://www.happycow.net/members/profile/Bejo/trips/camino-2023

(Entre Pedras in Santiago is an absolute MUST!!!! Unbelievably tasty vegan food)

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back