• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino a San Andrés de Teixido

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
By accident, I found myself on this new Camino in early December 2022. Not the best time to visit you would have thought, but as fate would have it, the weather was excellent. On return I decided to look into a bit more about the route(s) to Saint Andrews.

Firstly there are a whole bunch of routes to be explored for those looking for .. routes to be explored. Secondly, it is a quiet and peaceful route away from main centres. There are a lot of local communities you pass through but few are large enough for you to be inconspicuous. My route from Ferrol continued onto the Ruta do Mar as far as Viveiro where I had to cut it short to be able to make a ferry connection.

The Ferrol route is well signposted and much of the way is through forest roads or past small communities - smaller than villages so not much by way of supplies if you need them. Not much accommodation either apart from the (very well appointed) Casa Rural there.

According to the legend there, if you don't visit while alive, you'll visit afterwards as a tormented soul or reincarnated as a small animal. So glad I visited then.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 876
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    738.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    863.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_E3560.JPG
    IMG_E3560.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 41
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from San Andres de Teixido to Santiago a few years ago. In San Andres I asked the parish priest for a sello and we fell into a conversation. When he heard I had studied theology in another town named after St Andrew he brought out the church's relic of the apostle for me to venerate and blessed me for my journey. Made it all the more special to walk from one apostle to another! :cool:

I took an extra day walking the CI in 2014, starting just north of Ferrol in Covas and walking around the headland. Early on that first day, there were Tiexido waymarks on the road north of Covas to the area near the northwest extent of the headland, where they appeared to lead to another monument on or near the coast. I turned south at this point to walk towards Ferrol, so cannot say what I might have found had I been more curious and followed the Tiexido waymarks.

Curiously, the site linked by @Corned Beef doesn't show a route coming from that area. I wonder whether it is still possible to find it and follow it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for posting, it looks awesome, eucaliptos scented air :)

I took an extra day walking the CI in 2014, starting just north of Ferrol in Covas and walking around the headland. Early on that first day, there were Tiexido waymarks on the road north of Covas to the area near the northwest extent of the headland, where they appeared to lead to another monument on or near the coast. I turned south at this point to walk towards Ferrol, so cannot say what I might have found had I been more curious and followed the Tiexido waymarks.

Curiously, the site linked by @Corned Beef doesn't show a route coming from that area. I wonder whether it is still possible to find it and follow it.
Wikiloc shows some trails from Ferrol to San Andés. I tried looking for tracks starting in Covas, but the only Covas I can find is about 90 kms from Ferrol to the northwest, so I don’t think it’s the one you mean.

Anyway, have a look at these tracks from Ferrol to San Andrés.

Wikiloc shows some trails from Ferrol to San Andés. I tried looking for tracks starting in Covas, but the only Covas I can find is about 90 kms from Ferrol to the northwest, so I don’t think it’s the one you mean.

Anyway, have a look at these tracks from Ferrol to San Andrés.

Thank you. You are right, the hamlet of Covas to the north of Ferrol can be difficult to find. Try this link.

The two wikiloc routes don't go around the headland to the NW of Ferrol, which is where I walked in 2014.

I suspect that the route to the north of Covas starts or ends at the Illa de Santa Combo. My recollection is that one has limited opportunity to get across to the island on a sand spit exposed at low tide. That wasn't something I was planning to do, but it would be an interesting start point if one could get the timing right.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back